CarTechnoloGY
SD connect C4 cooling modification. - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: Mercedes Benz - Smart (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+---- Thread: SD connect C4 cooling modification. (/showthread.php?tid=20877)

SD connect C4 cooling modification. - taztheman - 11-01-2017

handshake

Hi Cartech guru's...

I'm just waiting for my pics to load, however in the quest to make the C4 connect more reliable, it has occurred to me that during a diagnostic, the unit gets VERY hot, I recently purchased 2 spare units via a contact ( many thanks to Marcos for his help & good guidance ! yes ).

Anyhow, even with the case removed, it's obvious that the LAN card in particular gets hot enough to cause concern for long term survival. Not to do with poor solering, just the CPUs generate heat & it's not removed.

So, I've modified the case, the CPU chips with added heat sinks & then 2 30mmx30mm fans ( one to suck air in ) and one to extract in a cross flow configuration ( hence why the end plate for the LAN card has extra holes drilled in it & I recovered with 2mm rubber foam hiddentmi

Note : If you do this, YOUR Chinese warranty ( fail for what it's worth ) will DEFINITELY be fooked giggle

This takes time to do, took me 4-5 hours to do fully & you have to fit the back fan last, as this will prevent the PCB card being slid in otherwise...

Result, after 2hrs of use, the air coming out of the fans is WARM - HOT, so this is a lot of heat it's removing from the PCB.

Pics to follow ( total cost of modification is say... £25 inc' fans, plastic grilles, heatsinks & a 28mm hole cutting saw ).

BR hi

Edit : Pics attached drive

[Image: RZkdBm1.jpg]

[Image: Hq6aZTE.jpg]

[Image: NkyV1x5.jpg]

[Image: M6Lnhe8.jpg]

Power tapping for the 12v DC fans ( each probe is in the spare through pins on PCB )

[Image: EQPeMRp.jpg]

[Image: g99UTwo.jpg]

[Image: NHsucyx.jpg]

[Image: HyXHKX1.jpg]

A little noisy when in use, but I'm happy knowing that this will keep my C4 alive !!

cheers !

pepsi

RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification. - rainbows528 - 12-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 15:04 PM)taztheman Wrote:  handshake

Hi Cartech guru's...

I'm just waiting for my pics to load, however in the quest to make the C4 connect more reliable, it has occurred to me that during a diagnostic, the unit gets VERY hot, I recently purchased 2 spare units via a contact ( many thanks to Marcos for his help & good guidance ! yes ).

Anyhow, even with the case removed, it's obvious that the LAN card in particular gets hot enough to cause concern for long term survival. Not to do with poor solering, just the CPUs generate heat & it's not removed.

So, I've modified the case, the CPU chips with added heat sinks & then 2 30mmx30mm fans ( one to suck air in ) and one to extract in a cross flow configuration ( hence why the end plate for the LAN card has extra holes drilled in it & I recovered with 2mm rubber foam hiddentmi

Note : If you do this, YOUR Chinese warranty ( fail for what it's worth ) will DEFINITELY be fooked giggle

This takes time to do, took me 4-5 hours to do fully & you have to fit the back fan last, as this will prevent the PCB card being slid in otherwise...

Result, after 2hrs of use, the air coming out of the fans is WARM - HOT, so this is a lot of heat it's removing from the PCB.

Pics to follow ( total cost of modification is say... £25 inc' fans, plastic grilles, heatsinks & a 28mm hole cutting saw ).

BR hi

Edit : Pics attached drive

[Image: RZkdBm1.jpg]

[Image: Hq6aZTE.jpg]

[Image: NkyV1x5.jpg]

[Image: M6Lnhe8.jpg]

Power tapping for the 12v DC fans ( each probe is in the spare through pins on PCB )

[Image: EQPeMRp.jpg]

[Image: g99UTwo.jpg]

[Image: NHsucyx.jpg]

[Image: HyXHKX1.jpg]

A little noisy when in use, but I'm happy knowing that this will keep my C4 alive !!

cheers !

pepsi

very gooood!

RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification. - pesona - 12-01-2017

What a brilliant work. Definitely wonderful. i can imagine your proud and satisfied mate.
if you use controllable fan (on/off manual/automatic and fan speed) with display, wow.. biggrin

RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification. - taztheman - 12-01-2017

(12-01-2017, 14:37 PM)alfathas Wrote:  What a brilliant work. Definitely wonderful. i can imagine your proud and satisfied mate.
if you use controllable fan (on/off manual/automatic and fan speed) with display, wow.. biggrin

Hi mate, I actually purchased a 3 pin fan ( i.e. : one with a tacho input, then realised I had nowhere to wire it in lol, unless I fit a thermocouple somewhere... )

It's simply wired in as 2 wire PC fan, so they run at full speed all the time @ 12v ( measured on PCB as 11.6 ).

It's very fiddly, but you can do this at home easy. Only issue was heatsinks were 10mm high, so I had to file these down to 7mm ( for case clearance ), however you can buy lower profile ones, after I filed down the ones I had !

Yes, I just hope it helps keep my beloved SD alive a bit longer, I'm sure it will.

I'm going to modify my 2nd SD connect also.

BR yes

I'm hoping this will show others that you can also protect your investment with a few cheap fans & heatsinks hi

RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification. - Albert J - 14-01-2017

I'm hoping this will show others that you can also protect your investment with a few cheap fans & heatsinks hi
[/quote]

Pretty good job........yes

I had pretty good luck with my coolers. Newer had any heat problems anymore, after the fans were installed and heatsinks on the processors.

http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=18377&pid=184407#pid184407

AJ