CarTechnoloGY
Defective ms45 help needed - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: Defective ms45 help needed (/showthread.php?tid=46981)

Pages: 1 2

Defective ms45 help needed - Desircustoms - 21-02-2019

Greeting mates,

Long story short; I had DME and throttle adaptation codes, so in December I updated my DME from 7540519 to 7561484, and it worked great until last week.

At this point, I'm considering changing the defective chip, haven't done any freeze test yet, but I'm suspecting it's the mpc55, anyone can direct me to somewhere I could find more info.
If anyone has done this before it would be very helpful.

From all the research i've done, the DME i have was re-manufactured, somewhere i saw my part # 7 540 519, as RMFD, and i read somewhere that bmw sub-contracted someone on the US east coast to fix all these north american DME's under warranty for them.

What do you guys think RPM does with the DME's, change the mpc55 and/or something else? 

https://www.rpmmotorsport.net/products/bmw-ms45-0-ms45-1-ecu-repair-dme-ram-checksum-error

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - BobbySD - 21-02-2019

I have excatly same problem with ms45. But I didnt found any info about what can be wrong in the ecu so I decided to change it. I get spare ecu from e65 which isnt listed in bmw bulletin SI B 12 49 06 so it should be ok.

Anyway Im also looking for solution of repair smile

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - bawareca - 21-02-2019

I think RPM buy a used one for $60 and clone it. At least this is what I do.

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - PhilipM - 21-02-2019

Yes, that's what I would do, buy a used ECU, unsolder and transfer the flash between them, put it back in the old case with the original stickers.

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - B1257 - 21-02-2019

(21-02-2019, 14:24 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  Yes, that's what I would do, buy a used ECU, unsolder and transfer the flash between them, put it back in the old case with the original Stickers.

I would do the same, forget to repair a BGA chip, if you dont have the right tools. We had so many problems overall the last 4-5 years with BGA chips. I replaced always the whole PCB, not worth the time.

I bought some of the flash types brand new and make always a backup, later I solder the new one in the used ECU.

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - Enabled - 21-02-2019

Just clone the dme with BDM, or change the short ISN at least (still with BDM).
I see you're likely in North America, so you can send it to me or someone to do it. Forget all about soldering or attempted repairs. These DMEs are cheap and plentiful.

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - Desircustoms - 21-02-2019

(21-02-2019, 15:52 PM)Enabled Wrote:  Just clone the dme with BDM, or change the short ISN at least (still with BDM).
I see you're likely in North America, so you can send it to me or someone to do it. Forget all about soldering or attempted repairs. These DMEs are cheap and plentiful.

Ok thanks, i will buy a BDM, which one do you recommend?
Im in Canada, they're about 120 USD at the scrapyards, and cheaper at the pull yourself yard, so far ive only found a ms45.1

(21-02-2019, 14:24 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  Yes, that's what I would do, buy a used ECU, unsolder and transfer the flash between them, put it back in the old case with the original stickers.

Which chip is the flash? I will backup my DME with BDM and then ask my friend to fix the hardware.
Thanks

(21-02-2019, 14:45 PM)B1257 Wrote:  
(21-02-2019, 14:24 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  Yes, that's what I would do, buy a used ECU, unsolder and transfer the flash between them, put it back in the old case with the original Stickers.

I would do the same, forget to repair a BGA chip, if you dont have the right tools. We had so many problems overall the last 4-5 years with BGA chips. I replaced always the whole PCB, not worth the time.

I bought some of the flash types brand new and make always a backup, later I solder the new one in the used ECU.

OK my friend has experience and tools to repair the hardware, wanted to see if its worth trying, and what is usually changed. 
What are the new flash you solder onto the used ECU?
Thanks

BDM - probably the best idea, but you'd need a good BDM probe set for Siemens size, (1.27mm pitch)
I often solder on a small header, and I have an cable which will plug onto this.

Make a backup of the old faulty ECU, transfer all of this into a replacement, and it should be ready to start.
That is all you should need to do.

Flash chip is on the bottom of the PCB, right next to the MPC. I have it noted as 29BL802C, SSOP56
I'm pretty happy with soldering, so I'd go straight into swapping that rather than try to set up my BDM press which is getting a little flexible.
If you transfer the flash, you will need to sync EWS rolling codes.

The RAM would be in the MPC55X and it's a BGA chip, so instead of finding an ECU, unsoldering the MPC and transfering, I would just swap the flash instead.

Remember, the flash chip isn't faulty, it is being transferred from the faulty ECU to a good one to copy over the data. Swapping the flash on a bad ECU won't fix the issue.

RE: Defective ms45 help needed - Desircustoms - 21-02-2019

(21-02-2019, 21:15 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  BDM - probably the best idea, but you'd need a good BDM probe set for Siemens size, (1.27mm pitch)
I often solder on a small header, and I have an cable which will plug onto this.

Make a backup of the old faulty ECU, transfer all of this into a replacement, and it should be ready to start.
That is all you should need to do.

Flash chip is on the bottom of the PCB, right next to the MPC. I have it noted as 29BL802C, SSOP56
I'm pretty happy with soldering, so I'd go straight into swapping that rather than try to set up my BDM press which is getting a little flexible.
If you transfer the flash, you will need to sync EWS rolling codes.

The RAM would be in the MPC55X and it's a BGA chip, so instead of finding an ECU, unsoldering the MPC and transfering, I would just swap the flash instead.

Remember, the flash chip isn't faulty, it is being transferred from the faulty ECU to a good one to copy over the data. Swapping the flash on a bad ECU won't fix the issue.

Thanks!
I was thinking of backing up my DME, buy a new MPC555, and have my friend do the BGA replacement, if that could maybe fix the issue.

Which BDM bench do you recommend? Should I buy EWS editor to sync rolling codes?
I bought a AK90 to program keys but it seems it has limited capabilities, is EWS editor better?

I only have a ms45.1 handy now, I'm waiting to find a ms45...

tracking down the correct MPC processor and getting it fitted is far harder than just getting a used ecu and transferring the flash.
For BDM, I use FG TECH, I do also have an EVC BDM100 but I don't think there is anything that can do that FG tech cannot.

Best option for you is probably Xprog 5.50, this will do BDM mpc555's, and also FRM repairs and lots of other things.

Rolling codes would be synced with diagnostics, so INPA or ICOM.

AK90 will only do older keys, E90 and E60 would be better with CGDI prog