Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

SD connect C4 cooling modification.
11-01-2017, 15:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 15:16 PM by taztheman.)
YTMercedes  SD connect C4 cooling modification.
handshake

Hi Cartech guru's...

I'm just waiting for my pics to load, however in the quest to make the C4 connect more reliable, it has occurred to me that during a diagnostic, the unit gets VERY hot, I recently purchased 2 spare units via a contact ( many thanks to Marcos for his help & good guidance ! yes ).

Anyhow, even with the case removed, it's obvious that the LAN card in particular gets hot enough to cause concern for long term survival. Not to do with poor solering, just the CPUs generate heat & it's not removed.

So, I've modified the case, the CPU chips with added heat sinks & then 2 30mmx30mm fans ( one to suck air in ) and one to extract in a cross flow configuration ( hence why the end plate for the LAN card has extra holes drilled in it & I recovered with 2mm rubber foam hiddentmi

Note : If you do this, YOUR Chinese warranty ( fail for what it's worth ) will DEFINITELY be fooked giggle

This takes time to do, took me 4-5 hours to do fully & you have to fit the back fan last, as this will prevent the PCB card being slid in otherwise...

Result, after 2hrs of use, the air coming out of the fans is WARM - HOT, so this is a lot of heat it's removing from the PCB.

Pics to follow ( total cost of modification is say... £25 inc' fans, plastic grilles, heatsinks & a 28mm hole cutting saw ).

BR hi

Edit : Pics attached drive

[Image: RZkdBm1.jpg]

[Image: Hq6aZTE.jpg]

[Image: NkyV1x5.jpg]

[Image: M6Lnhe8.jpg]

Power tapping for the 12v DC fans ( each probe is in the spare through pins on PCB )

[Image: EQPeMRp.jpg]

[Image: g99UTwo.jpg]

[Image: NHsucyx.jpg]

[Image: HyXHKX1.jpg]

A little noisy when in use, but I'm happy knowing that this will keep my C4 alive !!

cheers !

pepsi

Learning is good, SHARING is BETTER hi

If my post helps you, don't be shy, say thanks & rep ! yes
Reputation: +4 - Marcos [+1] , fantomel [+1] , pesona [+1] , JarsaR [+1]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users say Thank You to taztheman for this post
12-01-2017, 04:40 AM,
YTMercedes  RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification.
(11-01-2017, 15:04 PM)taztheman Wrote:  handshake

Hi Cartech guru's...

I'm just waiting for my pics to load, however in the quest to make the C4 connect more reliable, it has occurred to me that during a diagnostic, the unit gets VERY hot, I recently purchased 2 spare units via a contact ( many thanks to Marcos for his help & good guidance ! yes ).

Anyhow, even with the case removed, it's obvious that the LAN card in particular gets hot enough to cause concern for long term survival. Not to do with poor solering, just the CPUs generate heat & it's not removed.

So, I've modified the case, the CPU chips with added heat sinks & then 2 30mmx30mm fans ( one to suck air in ) and one to extract in a cross flow configuration ( hence why the end plate for the LAN card has extra holes drilled in it & I recovered with 2mm rubber foam hiddentmi

Note : If you do this, YOUR Chinese warranty ( fail for what it's worth ) will DEFINITELY be fooked giggle

This takes time to do, took me 4-5 hours to do fully & you have to fit the back fan last, as this will prevent the PCB card being slid in otherwise...

Result, after 2hrs of use, the air coming out of the fans is WARM - HOT, so this is a lot of heat it's removing from the PCB.

Pics to follow ( total cost of modification is say... £25 inc' fans, plastic grilles, heatsinks & a 28mm hole cutting saw ).

BR hi

Edit : Pics attached drive

[Image: RZkdBm1.jpg]

[Image: Hq6aZTE.jpg]

[Image: NkyV1x5.jpg]

[Image: M6Lnhe8.jpg]

Power tapping for the 12v DC fans ( each probe is in the spare through pins on PCB )

[Image: EQPeMRp.jpg]

[Image: g99UTwo.jpg]

[Image: NHsucyx.jpg]

[Image: HyXHKX1.jpg]

A little noisy when in use, but I'm happy knowing that this will keep my C4 alive !!

cheers !

pepsi

very gooood!
[+] 6 users say Thank You to rainbows528 for this post
12-01-2017, 14:37 PM,
RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification.
What a brilliant work. Definitely wonderful. i can imagine your proud and satisfied mate.
if you use controllable fan (on/off manual/automatic and fan speed) with display, wow.. biggrin
[+] 2 users say Thank You to pesona for this post
12-01-2017, 15:21 PM,
RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification.
(12-01-2017, 14:37 PM)alfathas Wrote:  What a brilliant work. Definitely wonderful. i can imagine your proud and satisfied mate.
if you use controllable fan (on/off manual/automatic and fan speed) with display, wow.. biggrin

Hi mate, I actually purchased a 3 pin fan ( i.e. : one with a tacho input, then realised I had nowhere to wire it in lol, unless I fit a thermocouple somewhere... )

It's simply wired in as 2 wire PC fan, so they run at full speed all the time @ 12v ( measured on PCB as 11.6 ).

It's very fiddly, but you can do this at home easy. Only issue was heatsinks were 10mm high, so I had to file these down to 7mm ( for case clearance ), however you can buy lower profile ones, after I filed down the ones I had !

Yes, I just hope it helps keep my beloved SD alive a bit longer, I'm sure it will.

I'm going to modify my 2nd SD connect also.

BR yes

I'm hoping this will show others that you can also protect your investment with a few cheap fans & heatsinks hi

Learning is good, SHARING is BETTER hi

If my post helps you, don't be shy, say thanks & rep ! yes
[+] 8 users say Thank You to taztheman for this post
14-01-2017, 04:07 AM,
YTMercedes  RE: SD connect C4 cooling modification.
I'm hoping this will show others that you can also protect your investment with a few cheap fans & heatsinks hi
[/quote]

Pretty good job........yes

I had pretty good luck with my coolers. Newer had any heat problems anymore, after the fans were installed and heatsinks on the processors.

http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.ph...#pid184407

AJ
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Albert J for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DTS Monako 902 and sd connect 4 how to pair bsv2001 2 222 09-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bsv2001
YTMercedes SD connect problem MalamuteVim 4 521 21-11-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: gcs190
  Solved ✔ sd connect error 801 fix viki300 5 605 11-08-2023, 15:59 PM
Last Post: viki300
  w202 38 pin xentry / sd connect Liteace 7 566 08-06-2023, 09:04 AM
Last Post: gcs190
  xentry connect activation neopl1 3 393 14-02-2023, 13:58 PM
Last Post: bytescan
  Xentry Sd Connect Windows 10 wifi problem donjuan020 6 591 01-02-2023, 17:03 PM
Last Post: DBCT
  Xentry Connect with DTS Monaco install CodeDoc 2 618 04-12-2022, 20:05 PM
Last Post: cucuro
  Xentry shuts down when trying to connect to VXDIAG C6 tonkostz 6 746 29-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: aaronpaul
  SD connect PIC18F252 GreeX 6 1,290 20-06-2022, 05:25 AM
Last Post: mkii
YTMercedes Mercedes W639 with cloned EZS, DAS cannot connect CID_Dave 4 672 31-05-2022, 21:55 PM
Last Post: CID_Dave