Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW E34 M5 (1992)
30-05-2016, 05:30 AM,
XZBMW  BMW E34 M5 (1992)
Hi guys

I try to coding a E34 (1992) but ncs expert can't read the VIN . Inpa and Ista D/P cant read the VIN,too.
I use a Kdcan Cable with Adapter for OBD1
Do I have to change Ediabas Config or Com port settings ?
When I try connect with Ista D the turn signals are working and the Kombi .

Have anybody an Idea .With my E61 all programs works fine .

sry for my bad english
Many greetings from Germany
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2016, 06:04 AM,
RE: BMW E34 M5 (1992)
Not sure what ecus are on 1992. On 1991 only one or two of ecus were using new diagnostic protocols using single data line. You can try manually entering VIN into ISTA-D and see if then it can connect to any of them. Anyway VIN autodetect does not work on such early cars.
For other control units you will need different hardware:
1. Normal hardware COM port (not USB-COM converter) may help to connect to one or two more ecus which need 8bps initialization but still use single wire data line. USB-COM converters do no support such low speeds and all I saw actually used speeds higher than 115200bps when sent commands to use low bit rates.
2. ADS adapter, but (if I remember correctly, many years passed after I used one) it requires two normal hardware COM ports to operate. Given that, it will connect to all ECUs.
3. Something more serious like GT1 or ICOM. These do not require com ports and will surely connect to all ECUs.
Though I'm not sure there is much to code. It is truly an old car and EEPROMs to store and update settings were terrible those days. So it had most of things hardwired and/or configured by wires, not by computer code. Are you looking for something you know is there, or just playing around?
30-05-2016, 06:52 AM,
Did you check your kabel for k line?

Hast du mal das kabel überprüft ob es kline kann? Du hast auch 2 Diagnose leitungen

aber an diesen Modell gibt es nicht viel zu codieren.
30-05-2016, 06:52 AM,
I enter the VIN manually in Ista D after that Ista show me the Car Information ( transmission ,engine)

After that i can in a special menue choose the old bmws (e32,e34..)
When I click on e34 ista makes a car test and will search/connect to all ecus (airbag,dme..) but connections failed.

In ista p with i com emulator he shows me "no connection to Kombi"
What is a normale hardware com port? I want read/delete the error memory ,mainly .
the check controll button and the airbag controll light are dead in the Kombi .

maybe the Kombi is the reason for no connection with the diagnostic programs ?
30-05-2016, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-05-2016, 08:46 AM by Node.)
Normal hardware COM port I mean the one which does not use USB in any way. It can be:
1. COM port integrated into motherboard on desktop or laptop.
2. COM port on add-on card (PCI, PCI-E on desktops, PCMCIA, CARDBUS on laptops)
3. COM port on laptop docking station (when docking station connects to a big socket on the bottom of laptop instead of using USB 3.0)

Kombi CAN NOT be a reason you can't connect to car, because on E34 all control units are connected directly to diagnostic socket, KOMBI is not a gateway like on newer cars.

K-D-can diagnostic adapter will not be able to connect to all ecus because on E34 many ecus need both K and L lines. There are KL adapters, but Ediabas only has a driver for ADS adapter. However all ecus needing L line will also need 8bps initialization handshake, so normal hardware COM port is a must. Or specific diagnostic head like GT1 or ICOM as these have all necessary hardware inside (not sure about OPS). I'm think you have DME 1.x on that car which is using ISO9141, which means it needs both K&L lines so you will not be able to connect to DME using your adapter. Kombi and airbag MAY be using single line (some newer ones were using single line) so it may be possible.

One more thing I remembered which can cause you not being able to connect to any ECU. On some E34s DME and EGS (on automatics, but your M is manual I guess) were connected to one pin in diagnostic connector and other ecus on the different one. Those are pins 17 and 20 (don't remember which is which anymore). You need to check if your OBD2-to-BMW-round adapter has connection from OBD2 pin 7 to both pins 17 and 20 on BMW round connector. If not, you need to connect them yourself. Else you only be able to talk to DME and it needs both K&L lines.

One more thing: E34 kombi is plagued by bad contact between circuit board and liquid crystal display which results in some of the pixels not lighting up. I never saw a complete failure of all pixels, but then I haven't seen E34 for many years now. As it gets worse with time, you may have this problem instead on not-working check control. Can you see any messages on LCD?

And ever one more thing: again if I remember correctly the lights in that kombi actually were incandescent bulbs, so your airbag light problem can simply be failed bulb. You may want to take kombi out and check the bulbs which are easily accessible from the other side.
30-05-2016, 10:48 AM,
Hi, try use old Carsoft 6.5 for BMW with com port.
30-05-2016, 12:22 PM,
I think for Carsoft he still needs normal COM port, and Carsoft 6.5 if talking about E34 is really crap... no live data, nothing. It was good while there was nothing better, but then INPA leaked, then DIS and now we have ISTA-D.
13-06-2016, 14:16 PM,
(30-05-2016, 05:30 AM)Alpina116 Wrote:  Hi guys

I try to coding a E34 (1992) but ncs expert can't read the VIN . Inpa and Ista D/P cant read the VIN,too.
I use a Kdcan Cable with Adapter for OBD1
Do I have to change Ediabas Config or Com port settings ?
When I try connect with Ista D the turn signals are working and the Kombi .

Have anybody an Idea .With my E61 all programs works fine .

sry for my bad english
Many greetings from Germany

Hello,

you need the ADS Interface to do your job wink The problem with your D-CAN Cable is that it doesn´t have the L-Line. Only K-Line and CAN.

For such old cars like yours for diagnosis and coding you need TWO diagnostik lines. The K-Line (Pin17/20 on OBD under the hood) and the L-Line (Pin15 on OBD under the hood) to wake-up the ECU. This is called the KWP71 protocoll.

Ssimply buy a ADS-Interface and set Ediabas Interface Type to ADS.

But you´ll need a PC with COM Port and only COM1 will work!

Hope this will help you

BR
[+] 2 users say Thank You to diagnosiks for this post
13-06-2016, 16:38 PM,
You need to have ads interface for e34 , same as e36
http://www.interfejsads.ugu.pl/

Polish , hand made work.
29-06-2016, 18:58 PM,
I asked at employer's BMW, for old cars and recent diagnostic in E34, needs to disconnect some ECU, create conflict at ISTA, to check DME disconnect kombi and ABS, first one and later both.

BMW F10 530d 0911
Retrofit 223 245 248 2VB 2ND 316 337 4M5 416  ->451/488-->456 453 465 494 496 552 5AD 5AE 5AG NBT 654 FM2 610 620[CIC] 688 6NR 6WA & 6WB715 760 8TH-KAFAS2-FSC KeyFOB Mperformance Gxx Series

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW BMW 3 Series (E36)[1992-98, PDF] Hitman0079 0 353 24-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Hitman0079