Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

ISTA/P vs NCS Expert and ISTA/P vs Win KFP
04-09-2016, 11:26 AM,
XZBMW  ISTA/P vs NCS Expert and ISTA/P vs Win KFP
Which do you use for coding/retrofits and for programing? Each of them can do it but what does practical experience tells us. Pros and cons from practical experience.
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2016, 12:36 PM,
RE: ISTA/P vs NCS Expert and ISTA/P vs Win KFP
As long as it's an official retrofit ista p is easiest as long as you have the proper equipment. I e icom and power supply. But all other manual coding will be removed.

Ncs and winkfp will allow you to manipulate more stuff that BMW usually doesn't offer as far as coding specific optional equipment as not everything is available in ista p as retrofit. But you can nNipulate vo with ncs and then do the rest with ista p.

Summary : for the medium user use ista p as it's easy and it provides step by step instructions.
Advanced user with knowledge about how ista p discriminates and what dependencies the different programs have : ista p in combo with ncs and winkfp. smile
[+] 2 users say Thank You to SweetBMW for this post
04-09-2016, 13:48 PM,
I would go with NCS expert and WinKFP if you know what you are doing, but if you don't need some study.
ISTA-P is pretty limited but you will not f**k anything
[+] 2 users say Thank You to bazare for this post
04-09-2016, 14:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2016, 14:10 PM by 840i.)
(04-09-2016, 11:26 AM)14TLC Wrote:  Which do you use for coding/retrofits and for programing? Each of them can do it but what does practical experience tells us. Pros and cons from practical experience.

Let's not mix things

Coding and programing are 2 entirely different things

See it as changing settings on your Windows (Enable screensaver), this is coding, and upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 (This is programing).

Typically ISTA/P is used to flash entire cars to upgrade the integration level.
The application follows an upgrade path and updates all the modules that have a newer software version to your ISTA/P version.
You can exclude some modules from the programing operation, such as the radio for example.

ISTA/P is for upgrading ECU software on E, F and G, i series

NCSExpert is for coding E Series cars only
WinKFP is for upgrading individual modules only, one at a time, on E Series

E-SYS is for coding F/G/i series but also programing individual modules on F/G/i series only.

What do we use for retrofits?
Well, if it is a E series we usually use NCSExpert
If is it a F series we usually use E-SYS

Now if you install a NBT in a E series, you will have to use E-SYS of course, this is a F Series module.

(04-09-2016, 13:48 PM)bazare Wrote:  I would go with NCS expert and WinKFP if you know what you are doing, but if you don't need some study.
ISTA-P is pretty limited but you will not f**k anything

While ISTA-P is more fool proof than say WinKFP, you can still F*ck up a car real good, especially on F series where several modules are flashed at the same time.
Some versions do contain bugs too, so some are know to fail flashing modules...
Some tiny faults sometimes do cause the entire flash to fail too. It is important to remove CD from the radio etc, disconnect Bluetooth devices and so on.

I have seen a HVAC plug in a f10 before which was not set all the way in by its owner, after 1h, 3 modules failed (Including cluster, zGW etc), and the car would even even start. Only way to fix was to use E-SYS.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to 840i for this post
04-09-2016, 15:18 PM,
There are ALOT of threads about this, on this forum....
All people need to do, is use search button

If any of my posts or current one helps then don't forget to press thanks and add a reputation thankyou
Visit this user's website
[+] 2 users say Thank You to CATAHA for this post
17-09-2016, 13:17 PM,
Thanks guys. I deal with BMW motorcycles only. Usually official retrofits and bikes don't have too much coding options. Also, unlike cars they don't have many modules and no MOST.
Although there are cases when upgrading I-lavel ends up with failure to upgrade particular module. In that case maybe WinKFP is better to recover that module.
18-09-2016, 15:26 PM,
XZBMW  RE: ISTA/P vs NCS Expert and ISTA/P vs Win KFP
For BMW motorcycles, I suggest ISTA/P for programming. You will need an ICOM Next A with either an ICOM Next D (10-pin) or ICOM Next E interface (3-pin.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW [MEGA] ISTA 4.32 // ISTA-P 3.72 + ALL LOADER up to 6.6 // no license needed hashtagmaster 60 17,977 4 hours ago
Last Post: alexak
XZBMW ISTA Standalone Licenserequest up to v4.37.4x Sedoy 8,696 650,730 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sedoy
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.45.3x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 10 2,136 Today, 07:33 AM
Last Post: rocdeng
  ISTA Polish SQLiteDBs 4.45.30 PL Thomas77 0 88 Yesterday, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Thomas77
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.46.5x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 4 706 16-04-2024, 14:31 PM
Last Post: shawnsheridan
XZBMW ISTA 4.46.5x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 193 16-04-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
  ista 4.46 Standalone kiranabc 59 8,193 14-04-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: kiranabc
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.39 add/enable Expertmode ABL alex_cv 3 267 14-04-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: alex_cv
  ISTA File Missing? Homersbud 5 267 13-04-2024, 23:53 PM
Last Post: rocdeng
XZBMW ISTA/P 3.72.0.300 Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 33 4,323 13-04-2024, 16:41 PM
Last Post: BimmerLubuskie