Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

E89 - Very weird electrical problem
08-11-2016, 21:36 PM,
XZBMW  E89 - Very weird electrical problem
Hi,

I have been having a VERY weird electrical problem for a month now, any help is appreciated.

The situation: "Cold" weather, as far as I could test, below 12°C (approx 54°F), press key FOB to open door, almost everything normal except that door does not open. If I press the key FOB to open the boot, it opens but immediately closes again. Basically during the time for me to get the physical key out of the key FOB and open manually the driver's door, the red "car on ramp" lights on the dashboard.

On the car by inserting the key FOB, several error messages, electrical malfunction car cannot be driven, steering wheel malfunction, ABS/DSC malfunction.

The engine starts fine, it just take a bit longer, I would say no more than 4 to 5 seconds longer.

In the dashboard no gauge work except for the fuel gauge. Windows work, mirrors work, AC works, drivers seat heating works, passenger one doesn't, wipers don't work, "rear" windows don't work, all buttons in the steering wheel don't work, sport/sport+ button doesn't work, xenon lights work.

However after the car heats up, a process that took once up to 40 minutes all comes to normal again, eventually I get a CEL light in the dashboard that during the day vanishes too. During the day, no matter what temperature, all normal.

During the ocurrence of this problem I tried to get information from the OBD2 port without success. The INPA or Dr. Gini could not communicate with the modules.

The battery is only 1 year old and it was registered, I measured the voltage before staring the car and it was a solid 12.4V. I did not measure anything related to the alternator as I think it cannot be the alternator since the problem appears before starting the engine.

If the temp is higher, these couple of days were at approx 12°C (54°F), no problem whatsoever.

Any idea is highly appreciated.

BBriner
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2016, 03:58 AM,
RE: E89 - Very weird electrical problem
My suspicion is faulty JBE. This is the gateway module for these cars. You cannot communicate with any modules while the car is misbehaving, but the car is correctly powering up and starting so JBE should be powered up and responding at this point.

If you observe the tree structure of control units in ISTA-D for this car, I hope you will understand what I mean and why I say this.

If you replace it, I thought I would mention there are different variants of JBE fitted to these cars and you need same type as what is currently fitted. I have used NCSexpert to code used JBE without any difficulty.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to HestonDiag for this post
14-11-2016, 10:26 AM,
(09-11-2016, 03:58 AM)HestonDiag Wrote:  My suspicion is faulty JBE. This is the gateway module for these cars. You cannot communicate with any modules while the car is misbehaving, but the car is correctly powering up and starting so JBE should be powered up and responding at this point.

If you observe the tree structure of control units in ISTA-D for this car, I hope you will understand what I mean and why I say this.

If you replace it, I thought I would mention there are different variants of JBE fitted to these cars and you need same type as what is currently fitted. I have used NCSexpert to code used JBE without any difficulty.

Thanks. After I have searched for potential root causes I had figured that the JBE might be one of them. What I don't understand the relationship with temperature. Well, these electronics things are complicated, impossible to understand.fubar

Next Monday she will be in the stealership for the recall of the Positive B+ cable. My hope is that this could possibly the root cause too, if not I will start searching for 2nd hand JBE modules to replace.

How difficult is to program a 2nd hand JBE module? I have already used NCSexpert in my Z4 and in my R56, but I have never used it to code an specific module.

BBriner
15-11-2016, 07:34 AM,
Check your fusebox is securely fastened with all the cables beneath it plugged in properly. Check your rear fusebox as well. Its very likely your positive cable is the culprit but strongly suggests that you refrain driving your E89 at this point of time as you do not even have the ability to diagnose the vehicle through OBD, along with a handful key modules acting up (cas, kombi, nfrm jbe, dsc & egs).
12-12-2016, 21:11 PM,
(09-11-2016, 03:58 AM)HestonDiag Wrote:  My suspicion is faulty JBE. This is the gateway module for these cars. You cannot communicate with any modules while the car is misbehaving, but the car is correctly powering up and starting so JBE should be powered up and responding at this point.

Right is the JBE and nfrm possibly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Bmw 5,f10 radio problem RobertRexhaj 3 77 Yesterday, 18:47 PM
Last Post: Unspec
  ISTA launcher problem Red_bean_bun 1 168 26-03-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: 2013m5
  Dme Cas synchronization Problem donjuan020 3 203 25-03-2024, 21:55 PM
Last Post: BmwMerc
  BMW e39 530d 2001 problem after MAF change boweld11 3 106 24-03-2024, 22:44 PM
Last Post: SkeYT
XZBMW Entrynav2 Maps Problem Chillmeister 3 287 24-03-2024, 17:18 PM
Last Post: Chillmeister
  For anyone having problem with ICOM NEXT FW update via ISTA+. ImmBoo 16 3,906 24-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Twointje
  Battery lead positive underfloor problem da.2022 10 208 24-03-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: pupu144
  Problem Retrofit electrified steering column on the G31 LCI smercki 12 341 22-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW X5 G05 with MGU and ATM: GPS problem david357 8 786 19-03-2024, 21:25 PM
Last Post: Mwahab
  Bmw G31 retrofit Mgu id7 atm problem intranet 14 1,881 19-03-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: evaldazj