Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

What could go wrong if you update your car with ISTA-P?
31-08-2016, 08:04 AM,
XZBMW  RE: What could go wrong if you update your car with ISTA-P?
Shut doorlock with screwdriver (see picture)

Attached Files
doorlock.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 78 times
Size: 104 bytes

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Bimmer540 for this post
31-08-2016, 09:58 AM,
RE: What could go wrong if you update your car with ISTA-P?
OK. Now I understand what you mean. However how should I block the door lock with the screwdriver? I can't imagine how to do it.
Also why should I block it at all?
31-08-2016, 10:30 AM,
The doorlock only turn with screwdriver so its locked!
31-08-2016, 11:45 AM,
Ah! So you mean the door is open, but you locked it with a screwdriver. Therefore the car thinks the door is completely closed?!?
31-08-2016, 12:08 PM,
XZBMW  RE: What could go wrong if you update your car with ISTA-P?
(31-08-2016, 11:45 AM)delete Wrote:  Ah! So you mean the door is open, but you locked it with a screwdriver. Therefore the car thinks the door is completely closed?!?

thumbsup
31-08-2016, 16:35 PM,
(31-08-2016, 07:35 AM)delete Wrote:  Is it in anyway bad to select complete coding? It just seems that it chooses more ECUs to code with new software, than if I select nothing?
Also if the ECU for the Airbag gets coded I noticed that ISTA-P has one post processing job: "relock airbag". Shouldn't there be something also pre processing, or do I have to do that myself?

I read that you should close your doors an windows of the car, but how should I get the cable into the car, which is needed for coding? How do you guys handle that?

Some modules like the DME have limited writes and you're not loading "new" firmware if there's no update flagged on the initial measures plan. You likely won't break anything or run out of writes, but why do an unnecessary step that increases the chances of something going wrong?

No preprocessing is necessary except to work through any faults that pop up in ISTA-D prior to attempting an update.

It doesn't matter if the door is open or closed, just don't latch the door shut or open it in the middle of a flash. If for anything else, there's a chance you could accidently dislodge the cable from the OBD port. With some calibrations following coding, it requires the doors closed for your safety and so you don't damage the vehicle. It will tell you if you need to shut the doors and there will be a confirmation before it begins.

...and DO NOT under any circumstances latch the lock without shutting the door if you have Dynamic Drive!!!!!!!!!!
31-08-2016, 18:30 PM,
(31-08-2016, 16:35 PM)Exotic_Tastes Wrote:  With some calibrations following coding, it requires the doors closed for your safety and so you don't damage the vehicle. It will tell you if you need to shut the doors and there will be a confirmation before it begins.

How should I close the doors, if the cable is running into the car. Or is this a moment where you just disconnect the charger from your laptop?

(31-08-2016, 16:35 PM)Exotic_Tastes Wrote:  ...and DO NOT under any circumstances latch the lock without shutting the door if you have Dynamic Drive!!!!!!!!!!

Dynamic Drive? I don't think I have that.
So if I would have it, I should not lock the car if the car doors are not closed?
19-09-2016, 07:56 AM,
Quick update:

Yesterday I finally upgraded my car with ISTA-P. Everything worked flawless and it was done in about an hour. ISTA-P said it would take 1:45 h to finish. So I guess ICOM Next is a little faster.
I left the door open during flash but closed it for initializing. When door was closed Laptop and me were sitting in the car. So all cables in the car...

Thanks again for all your help!
28-11-2016, 14:39 PM,
(28-08-2016, 21:13 PM)delete Wrote:  Thank you all for all your tips and stories. I think I'm now as good as possible prepared to do an upgrade.
And yes, I think so as well, that it will get less scary in the future, after I did it some times...

If anybody has any further tips or opinions, please share... wink

Back to topic of Power Supplies versus Battery Charger, here is text from 2005 when CIP was used for Coding and Programming:
===========
By power supply we mean a stand-alone, constant voltage, high-amperage power supply (or an “intelligent” battery charger with an electronically controlled power supply function) meeting the following specifications:
- Microprocessor-controlled measuring and monitoring
- Power supply mode (dual function power supply/chargers): in power supply mode the charger monitors the amperage draw of the Vehicle and adjusts itself accordingly. For example, the charger will output 32 amps in response to a 32-amp draw. In this way battery capacity reduction is eliminated.
- 250 Ah rating, with 10 Ah or better resolution
- Power Supply output voltage: min 12.4V , max 14.4V, with 0.02 V or better resolution
- Power Supply output current: 45 A, with 0.05 A or better resolution
- Non-sparking due to delayed switch-on (battery chargers)
BMW sells such a tool, part number 99 00 0 003 944 (see SIB 04 11 02); it may be purchased at www.centrallettershop.com.
***IMPORTANT*** Without a stable power supply (as defined above) you may experience mid-programming disconnects, programming errors, or faulty programming! Series E65 and newer cannot be programmed without such a power supply connected. Also, when using the online tools you must maintain a constant Internet connection throughout the programming sequence. Some vehicle control modules will take several hours to reprogram.
===========

Obviously the current requirements have increased significantly since then. The info given today by BMW NA for OSS (Online Service System) isn't as detailed:
===========
Vehicles from series E65 (from 11 / 2001) cannot be programmed without an external power supply. Power supply/ battery chargers with following specifications and settings are required :
• F/G Series: The set maximum voltage rating of 14.8 volts battery charging mode must not be exceeded. With the recommended chargers (e.g. Deutronic "DBL1200", "DBL1600", "MultiCharger 1500") use the battery charging mode for programming.
• E Series : Chargers (such as Deutronic "DBL800", "MultiCharger 750") with microprocessor-controlled monitoring and adjustment of the current of the vehicle can be used. Please refer to BMW Service Bulletin B04 23 10 or MINI Service Bulletin M04 08 09 for more details and a listing of approved chargers required for programming.
• All approved chargers may be purchased from API International at 1-512-280-4391
Attention
Programming failures or module damage can occur without stable power supply.
==============

See attachment for BMW SIB.

Attached Files
SIB 042310 Approved Battery Charger & Power Supplies.pdf
File Type: .pdf
Downloaded: 39 times
Size: 46.43 KB

[+] 4 users say Thank You to ripp222 for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.47.2x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 8 947 7 hours ago
Last Post: mar.wo
XZBMW ISTA Standalone Licenserequest up to v4.37.4x Sedoy 8,715 674,526 Yesterday, 14:20 PM
Last Post: Sedoy
  ista 4.46 Standalone kiranabc 106 13,252 Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Last Post: palapas1974
  Can anybody upload latest firemwares for manual update? bmwlover 4 194 Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Last Post: ruben_17non
XZBMW ISTA Czech Database ( 4.42.XX - 4.47.XX) inspi1981 65 8,032 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: inspi1981
  BMW F650gs dme/ecu update Liteace 42 1,336 Yesterday, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Liteace
XZBMW Ista-D last working version please help Warsteiner 4 243 06-05-2024, 19:40 PM
Last Post: 2013m5
XZBMW ISTA Standalone / Standard Tools / PSdZData_Lite - last [MEGA] Sedoy 1,652 417,763 06-05-2024, 18:30 PM
Last Post: Dafireman12
XZBMW ISTA 4.47.2x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 145 06-05-2024, 14:23 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.47.1x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 42 4,275 05-05-2024, 19:21 PM
Last Post: 2013m5