Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Help with VO on CAS LMA with non-existing E word
01-12-2016, 15:14 PM,
XZBMW  Help with VO on CAS LMA with non-existing E word
Hi guys,

I've been searching though threads about this for the last week or so and I can't seem to find a concrete answer, so I thought I'd ask here. Hope you can help.

I bought a used E61 recently and it had had to change the battery as it was basically dead. My mechanic installed a Varta 100Ah non-agm battery, and I started getting strange errors. After getting my feet wet with coding the car I've since realized that you need to register the battery, but 100Ah batteries are not an option for this vehicle, at least on first glance (90Ah or 110ah).

I've seen some curt replies to similar questions where people suggest adding it to the vehicle order via NCS. Except that I don't know if I can "make up" the VO code for a 100Ah battery or not i.e. and here is my first main question:

if I write FA -B100 to CAS and LMA, will that work? to effectively "create" a KLASSE_BATTERIE 100Ah // option

If that is not an option, then I have 2 alternatives: 1) get a new battery that is either 90Ah or 110Ah, or 2) simply live with the 100Ah, and an incorrect charge map.

I have in the meanwhile coded and registered my battery as 110Ah and this has resolved my battery discharge and other related codes, i.e. car works perfectly fine now. However I am worried that the car will now overcharge the battery. So my second question is this:

how bad is it to have the charge map off by 10Ah over? If it will simply shorten the life of the battery somewhat, I can live with that, as I only intend to keep the car for about 2-3 years, but I am worried about an explosion or fire hazard.

Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 15:30 PM,
RE: Help with VO on CAS LMA with non-existing E word
1. -B100 will not work, because there is no such option and it will not be translated into car coding. All the options in VO are only for information, car coding is what matters. NCSExpert, ISTA, etc are translating VO into module coding according to specific files.

2. There is no such thing as charge map either (at least in cars without start-stop, energy regeneration, etc so not in E61 non-LCI). In E61 alternator provides constant voltage around 14V and battery naturally charges whatever it is capable of charging according to its chemical state. There is a discharge evaluation done however by IBS and engine ECU. It takes into account things like battery temperature, voltage, age, current balance, power put in and taken out and who knows what else. Based on that it estimates the actual battery charge remaining so to warn you, cutoff electrical consumers, etc. I personally would set 90Ah setting on 100Ah battery so I would get low charge warning 10Ah earlier than too late.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Node for this post
01-12-2016, 17:02 PM,
RE: Help with VO on CAS LMA with non-existing E word
Hello,

first you need to know wich battery is programmed in your car AGM or normal battery. If it is AGM at the moment you have to reprogram your car for a normal battery. Than register your battery as a 90Ah and select aftermarked battery so your car knows there is not a factory battery inside your car. clean errors and you should be fine.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to larshutten for this post
02-12-2016, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM by dimitrev.)
XZBMW  RE: Help with VO on CAS LMA with non-existing E word
(01-12-2016, 15:30 PM)Node Wrote:  1. -B100 will not work, because there is no such option and it will not be translated into car coding. All the options in VO are only for information, car coding is what matters. NCSExpert, ISTA, etc are translating VO into module coding according to specific files.

2. There is no such thing as charge map either (at least in cars without start-stop, energy regeneration, etc so not in E61 non-LCI). In E61 alternator provides constant voltage around 14V and battery naturally charges whatever it is capable of charging according to its chemical state. There is a discharge evaluation done however by IBS and engine ECU. It takes into account things like battery temperature, voltage, age, current balance, power put in and taken out and who knows what else. Based on that it estimates the actual battery charge remaining so to warn you, cutoff electrical consumers, etc. I personally would set 90Ah setting on 100Ah battery so I would get low charge warning 10Ah earlier than too late.

Thank you! That is exactly the info I was looking for. smile

Interestingly I was getting a bunch of battery related errors when the battery was set to 90Ah (high rate of discharge and restraint system errors) before I did the 110Ah registration, but that could be because the first time i did it via INPA/NCS, and possibly didn't do it properly, then when i set it to 110Ah it was with ISTA-P. I will try to set it back to 90Ah with ISTA-P and see if any errors return.
Thanks again!

(01-12-2016, 17:02 PM)larshutten Wrote:  Hello,

first you need to know wich battery is programmed in your car AGM or normal battery. If it is AGM at the moment you have to reprogram your car for a normal battery. Than register your battery as a 90Ah and select aftermarked battery so your car knows there is not a factory battery inside your car. clean errors and you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! The battery type was non-agm before and the new batt was also non-agm, so that was not an issue. My main issue was the wrong Ah rating (100Ah), and some high rate of discharge issues I was getting, but that could have been from not registering correctly and resetting IBS properly until I got my head around it all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ista can not open existing operation. laquangksxd 3 387 04-11-2023, 20:03 PM
Last Post: blax123
  installing nbt in 04/2012 f10 can existing zgw be used Bavrian 12 1,196 25-10-2019, 21:25 PM
Last Post: Bavrian
  ESYS How to remove no existing unit masa52 5 1,080 24-06-2017, 01:15 AM
Last Post: masa52