Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

[SOLVED] BMW E70 KAFAS camera calibration problem
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM by psampson.)
RE: BMW E70 KAFAS camera calibration problem
Here are the screenshots (sorry but the ISTA-D language was german):
I can make some in english tomorrow.

Screenshots:
1) error list
2) ABL start
3) ABL calibration start result
4) status of camera and ecu

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2017, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM by Node.)
Can you change following settings in istagui.exe.config to false and read errors again?

<add key="TesterGUI.HideBogusFaults" value="false" />
<add key="TesterGUI.HideUnknownFaults" value="false" />

Else ISTA-D likes to hide faults which BMW decided are not worthy to be shown to the user, but sometimes they are very helpful/serious. Unfortunately (for me, not for you) the descriptions of such faults are in german only.

Bing translator translates your screenshot's text as "an error with a higher priority is entered as the selected. This error indicates a failure of the internal EEPROM and must be treated first.". Not sure how correct that is, but EEPROM corruption is serious and I think it can cause abort of calibration. I hope changing those settings will provide an idea which module has that problem. If its really EEPROM corruption you could try to reflash it.
06-01-2017, 06:48 AM,
Try a kafas of a car which is working.

MGU virgin and patching in Europa.
Secure coding 2.0
Feature installer codes
18-01-2017, 06:31 AM,
Good news! I solved the problem.

The only problem was the wrong VIN in the camera.
If the VIN of the camera, the KAFAS ECU and the car don´t match - the calibration routine in ISTA-D can´t be started. ISTA-D suggests to replace the ECU - what does not solve anything.

I found an action (_steuern_kalibrierwerte_kafas) in KAFAS70.prg to set the calibration data and the VIN in the camera. For the calibration values I used dummy values.

After that I cleared all errors. Then I could start the calibration routine in ISTA-D. After 5min driving the car above 70km/h the calibration was finished and the speed limit info was working.

So the conclusion is: if the VIN´s are not matching, it´s not possible to calibrate KAFAS.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to psampson for this post
23-04-2019, 17:09 PM,
RE: [SOLVED] BMW E70 KAFAS camera calibration problem
Can you share the dummy values that you used? Please. I'm trying to calibrate an retrofited kafas on an e70 also.

Thank you.
24-04-2019, 08:53 AM,
You can use any values which will be accepted.
You only need the action to change the VIN in the camera, and with that action you can do it.
After calibration in ISTA the values will be overwritten with valid calibration values.

I think there is an action to read out the actual stored values - read them out and use them.
09-07-2019, 10:20 AM,
Can you be more specific please? I found 2 VIN numbers in KAFAS with kafas70 prg. But I could not replace the second one. Can you tell me exactly how to change VIN in kamera? PLease, I' trying this retrofit for 3 months and ... still no luck.
10-07-2019, 12:38 PM,
(09-07-2019, 10:20 AM)larrybml Wrote:  Can you be more specific please? I found 2 VIN numbers in KAFAS with kafas70 prg. But I could not replace the second one. Can you tell me exactly how to change VIN in kamera? PLease, I' trying this retrofit for 3 months and ... still no luck.

I had the problem, that the VIN in the KAFAS ECU didn´t match the VIN stored in KAFAS CAM. No match --> no calibration possible in ISTA-D. Looks to be a simple Anti-Theft protection of the cam.
The VIN in the KAFAS ECU can be changed simply by coding it. There is no standard way to change the VIN in the CAM with ISTA-D by coding or programming it. If you ask BMW they want to sell you a new one.
The only way to change the VIN in the KAFAS CAM is the action (_steuern_kalibrierwerte_kafas) in KAFAS70.prg.
In this action you have to put the VIN into the parameters of the action. After that the VIN in the CAM is changed.
To get it to work proberly you have to calibrate the CAM. This can be done in ISTA-D.
1. change the KAFAS ECU VIN to car VIN by coding  ECU in car (FA in my case with 8TH speed limit info)
2. change KAFAS CAM VIN with _steuern_kalibrierwerte_kafas to car VIN
3. check if the VIN´s match now the car VIN (can be done in ISTA-D, KAFAS ECU details, look at my screenshot)
4. calibrate CAM with ISTA-D and follow the instructions for the test drive
Please tell me where you get stuck and provide some screenshots and your FA.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to psampson for this post
22-09-2019, 16:29 PM,
Hello I am glad that you manage to solve this.

Van you post NCSexpert FSW_PSW of your KAFAS module.

I have working ista-p ista-d inpa all warokig ok

BUT Ncsexpert cant read KAFAS70 , all other modules are ok to read and code.

Do you have TLC {LDW} enabled ?
22-09-2019, 16:39 PM,
(10-07-2019, 12:38 PM)psampson Wrote:  
(09-07-2019, 10:20 AM)larrybml Wrote:  Can you be more specific please? I found 2 VIN numbers in KAFAS with kafas70 prg. But I could not replace the second one. Can you tell me exactly how to change VIN in kamera? PLease, I' trying this retrofit for 3 months and ... still no luck.

I had the problem, that the VIN in the KAFAS ECU didn´t match the VIN stored in KAFAS CAM. No match --> no calibration possible in ISTA-D. Looks to be a simple Anti-Theft protection of the cam.
The VIN in the KAFAS ECU can be changed simply by coding it. There is no standard way to change the VIN in the CAM with ISTA-D by coding or programming it. If you ask BMW they want to sell you a new one.
The only way to change the VIN in the KAFAS CAM is the action (_steuern_kalibrierwerte_kafas) in KAFAS70.prg.
In this action you have to put the VIN into the parameters of the action. After that the VIN in the CAM is changed.
To get it to work proberly you have to calibrate the CAM. This can be done in ISTA-D.
1. change the KAFAS ECU VIN to car VIN by coding  ECU in car (FA in my case with 8TH speed limit info)
2. change KAFAS CAM VIN with _steuern_kalibrierwerte_kafas to car VIN
3. check if the VIN´s match now the car VIN (can be done in ISTA-D, KAFAS ECU details, look at my screenshot)
4. calibrate CAM with ISTA-D and follow the instructions for the test drive
Please tell me where you get stuck and provide some screenshots and your FA.

Thank you for your answer, for a while I left this project away, but I will start trying to fix it again, and I will post result.
Thank you again for your instructions!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Bmw 5,f10 radio problem RobertRexhaj 2 56 Yesterday, 21:36 PM
Last Post: RobertRexhaj
  ISTA launcher problem Red_bean_bun 1 155 26-03-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: 2013m5
  Dme Cas synchronization Problem donjuan020 3 202 25-03-2024, 21:55 PM
Last Post: BmwMerc
  BMW e39 530d 2001 problem after MAF change boweld11 3 101 24-03-2024, 22:44 PM
Last Post: SkeYT
XZBMW Entrynav2 Maps Problem Chillmeister 3 282 24-03-2024, 17:18 PM
Last Post: Chillmeister
  For anyone having problem with ICOM NEXT FW update via ISTA+. ImmBoo 16 3,887 24-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Twointje
  Battery lead positive underfloor problem da.2022 10 192 24-03-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: pupu144
XZBMW Request KAFAS FSC repair pack miru75 74 8,305 23-03-2024, 17:50 PM
Last Post: radeeek17
  Problem Retrofit electrified steering column on the G31 LCI smercki 12 323 22-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW X5 G05 with MGU and ATM: GPS problem david357 8 785 19-03-2024, 21:25 PM
Last Post: Mwahab