Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

03-07 Silverado Tahoe Avalanche Hummer H2 etc programming, upgrade, problems
14-02-2017, 16:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-02-2017, 01:40 AM by HETPE3B.)
Since the other thread about GM cluster was closed and I still have quite a few questions I decided to open the common All In One thread about those clusters, regarding programming, repair, upgrade.
Let me start with a few questions:
1) There are 6 and 7 gauge clusters. 6 gauge clusters are designed to accommodate 7th gauge as well. If I add the stepper motor and a light bulb, replace the face plate - should the cluster be reprogrammed to be able to work with the new gauge or it will start to operate normally because BCM sends all the info through the line?
Or should I copy the dump from the cluster which originally was coming with 7 gauges? Or anything else?

2) If the cluster is coming from 2003 Tahoe 4wd and I would like to install it to 2004 Silverado 1500 2wd (or any other combination) should anything be done besides the VIN number programming (e.g. should I find a dump from 2004 Silverado and write it to 2003 Tahoe cluster, or anything else)?

3) If I would like to install the cluster from 05-06 Silverado into 03-04 Silverado - should I only correct the VIN and mileage accordingly or I should write a dump from 03-04 Silverado cluster into 05-06 Silverado cluster?

4) Everybody knows about the problem with a dimmed PRND display on those clusters. But if similar problem is with odometer display when it is 50% dimmer? Is there any way to fix it?

5) Language scrolling problem. Also quite a common issue with those clusters. Sometimes it is a matter of the damaged push-button on the board, but usually it is related to the short circuit on the circuit board. Did anybody find the spot on the board making this happening? Is it a failed component or some kind of traces/contacts oxidation problem?

6) I noticed some clusters have the following options:
- odometer-> trip -> hours
- odometer-> trip a-> trip b-> hours
- odometer-> private-> business-> hours
What setting (or byte in eeprom) makes the cluster to reflect first, second or third choice from the list?

7) What byte in eeprom is making the change from miles to km?

I guess this is it for the questions I have so far smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to HETPE3B for this post
17-02-2017, 02:35 AM,
Ok, since there is no much activity I guess I did find an answer to one of the questions.
If I would like to add 7th gauge to the 6th gauge cluster I need to write the dump from 7 gauge cluster, because with original dump from 6-gauge cluster it wasn't calibrating after the power up, but as soon as I uploaded the dump from 7-gauge cluster it started to calibrate. It is possible that the whole dump is not necessary. I guess there may be the byte specifying if the transmission gauge is active or no. I may be wrong though smile

But I have one more new question now - what makes the cluster to work properly (or not) for the car with steering wheel controls and without?
17-02-2017, 04:15 AM,
RE: 03-07 Silverado Tahoe Avalanche Hummer H2 etc programming, upgrade, problems
1. Yes, just load a dump from a 7 gauge cluster.

2. No, not even necessary to change the VIN.

3. No, change the mileage only, plug and play.

4. Yes, MOSFET beside the connector.

5. It's never the button. Yes I found the spot. It is creep corrosion on the back of the board.

6. Those differences are between DIC and non-DIC clusters. It is not in the eeprom, it's the flash file in the processor. You would have to have a J2534 passthru and the proper calibration file.

7. I'll give you a hint only, it's in line 0050, more than one byte, and you will have to play around with different clusters and values to work it out. It isn't always the same value, but it is always the same bytes.

I will not elaborate on any of these answers, it's up to you to go from here.

If someone took the time to help you, the least you can do is take a few seconds and press two buttons! 

Thanks [Image: tyl_add.png] + [Image: postbit_reputation.gif] reputation.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Clusters for this post
17-02-2017, 16:09 PM,
RE: 03-07 Silverado Tahoe Avalanche Hummer H2 etc programming, upgrade, problems
Thanks so much for a detailed answers!
I never realized, that there are DIC and non-DIC clusters for those vehicles (Silverado, Tahoe, Avalanche). I knew there were Trailblazers and Envoys with DIC and without by simply looking onto the lower display (big or small).
I guess the first option from the 6th question indicate cluster without a DIC and 2nd and 3rd indicates the cluster with DIC?
Does the same cluster part number (on the sticker on the back) may have versions with DIC and without or it is always properly refers to the one or another?
Can the cluster without DIC work properly (without DIC functions of course) in the car with DIC and vise versa or any warning lights may come on?
Regarding the language scroll problem I did personally saw (and fixed) a handful of times the cluster with a broken button with a language scroll problem. The button simply fall apart inside the cluster and metal spring was making the shirt circuit.
I was suspecting the rust on the circuit board could be the culprit for language scroll and I always remove it and they use some anti-oxidation solution, but it doesn't always seem to help to fix the problem so I wasn't aware if it was the coincidence or real fix. Sometimes oxidation removal didn't help to fix the scroll problem at all.
22-02-2017, 21:17 PM,
I was able to convert KM into MI by changing 4 bytes in 0050 line.
I also found out, that the cluster with the same part number may have different setup.
For example I have 3 clusters with a part number 15114649 and one of them got only single TRIP option, while the other two got Personal-Business trip menu. So it looks like really the matter of VIN number and appropriate calibration tied to the VIN number.
Regarding the MOSFET - the one with 3355 marking on it?
I have an older laptop with COM port and TIS2000. Any recommendation about J2534 device option? Tech2 or any other box or it doesn't really matter as long as it is J2534 pass through?
01-03-2017, 05:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 05:30 AM by HETPE3B.)
Ok, I did get Tech2 scanner. I'm trying to set up the system to connect to the cluster on my table (obviously without a car).
For some reason cannot fix the communication. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
The data should go through contact Nr2 in OBD connector to the contact Nr A6 in the cluster?

When in TIS I click to Service Programming System, then to Request Info, then I choose Chevy, 2004, Silverado, Diesel, then I click "continue", it is showing "reading VIN and ECU" and then "error, no communication with a vehicle". Then cluster resets by itself.
Ideas?
I'm powering the Tech 2 from the same power supply port that powers up the cluster to make sure they are on the same "+" and "-" circuit.
Actually should I or should I not use CANdi module with those trucks?
01-03-2017, 05:53 AM,
Why do you think when you "Request Info" it would identify the vehicle automatically when there is no vehicle present?

If you navigate to replace instrument cluster there will be the option to enter the VIN manually.

If someone took the time to help you, the least you can do is take a few seconds and press two buttons! 

01-03-2017, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 06:53 AM by HETPE3B.)
(01-03-2017, 05:53 AM)clusters Wrote:  Why do you think when you "Request Info" it would identify the vehicle automatically when there is no vehicle present?

If you navigate to replace instrument cluster there will be the option to enter the VIN manually.
For some reason I was under the impression (probably by the analogy with BMW), that cluster can communicate with the diagnostic hardware/software as a standalone unit and because it has VIN number stored I was thinking it will at least exchange with the VIN number.
Thank you for clarification.

I navigate to Service Programming System (on laptop), choose "pass-thru" (because if I choose Tech 2 it want me to retrieve the data from the car, which I cannot do since I don't have a car), then I have "reprogram" or "replace and program" options. If I choose either one of them on the next screen it asks me to enter the VIN number, details about the car. Then I click continue couple times and then it throw me error E665 - the communication cannot be established with Diagnostic Tool.
01-03-2017, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 07:32 AM by HETPE3B.)
Ok, I don't know how, but I did manage to get to the list of the ECUs. I found 2 IPC's in the list - on the top "IPC - IPC Setup" and almost on the bottom "IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster".
If I choose the top one - it takes me to the next screen showing the possible calibration number to upload to the cluster (however it shows "unknown" current stored calibration). If I click continue it takes me to the next screen with a progress bar, then cluster resets and some kind of pop-up pops up on the screen without any words. If I continue to click on OK on the unknown poput it keeps popping up. If I click cancel on pop-up it takes me to the next screen where it shows "programming completed", however I didn't see any progress or %.

If I choose "IPC - instrument panel cluster" from the list of ECUs it shows 2 programming modes - normal and VPN, or NPC or something similar smile If I click on either of them it shows the error that it cannot connect to the ECU (or something similar).
I kinda feel that I'm close, but it's almost 2 in the morning now, and possible time to go to sleep now smile
01-03-2017, 07:34 AM,
Keep at it, you will figure it out. wink

[+] 2 users say Thank You to Clusters for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Default Volvo XC60 2016 TFT cluster died during X-Tool programming slevy70 1 88 12-04-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: repair
ILandRover LR Discovery 3 - 2008 - IPC Programming arturjfonseca 3 178 12-04-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: arturjfonseca
  Yanhua mini ACDP programming tool koziol 42 14,416 04-10-2023, 19:28 PM
Last Post: johann74270
  Solved ✔ Any one used DP4 for resetting BMW / MINI BDC im having problems andi1571 2 639 14-04-2023, 23:26 PM
Last Post: andi1571
XZBMW Bmw FEM/BDC upgrade or downgrade g0tcha 4 1,998 12-01-2023, 14:20 PM
Last Post: bmwlover
YTMercedes Atego mp2 ins programming ikrom 0 369 07-11-2022, 06:02 AM
Last Post: ikrom
PCitroen BSI flash problems ck6uk 2 1,136 13-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Last Post: ck6uk
  Smart 450 SAM milage problems elbiscuit 2 824 06-03-2019, 03:20 AM
Last Post: volavka
ZTAudi Audi A4 RB4 Dasch problems teodoro 2 1,115 12-11-2018, 17:15 PM
Last Post: mefistofilos
  Problems with 908hp12! skens 0 806 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM