Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Setting up WINKFP for E-Chassis Flashing
09-03-2017, 05:35 AM,
Setting up WINKFP for E-Chassis Flashing
For those who have a fresh installation of WINKFP and need to setup their configuration file for flashing. I have uploaded a screenshot of the settings I use when flashing with the ICOM and K+DCAN cable.

These settings will work for flashing any module on any E-chassis car. If you have any other errors, it would probably be because the daten/chassis data has not been installed/imported correctly.

Attached is the screenshot for reference.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users say Thank You to Studie for this post
24-03-2017, 12:51 PM,
RE: Setting up WINKFP for E-Chassis Flashing
This is bad info.
You should use the settings that are best suited for the module you are trying to flash.

"Programming Voltage" is only used when you have to flash some DMEs that need +12V added to a certain pin to allow writing. Only the ICOM or OPPS head can give programming voltage, K+DCAN cannot.
When you check the box for "Programming Voltage" you are instructing WinKFP to make the ICOM or OPPS head give programming voltage. You will have error with K+DCAN.

"Force program programming in comfort mode" will flash the .0pa as well as the .0da. This isn't always necessary, when .0da is enough.

"Fast baudrate" can cause problems with some modules.
[+] 14 users say Thank You to Enabled for this post
16-05-2018, 11:43 AM,
What are the best settings in Winkfp?
16-05-2018, 18:09 PM,
I have fast baudrate off, "force program programming.." only on in special cases, for example if you suspect a problem in the original program flash, or you know the data flash and program flash are not compatible.

For example, an Engine ECU will have a program flash which is shared by a few versions, and a data flash which is specific to differences. You might see this as a 325d and a 330d have different program flashes on the same ECU. On just one of them, the 330d for example, you might see that they all share the same program flash, but different data flash for auto or manual, different emissions specs etc.

Usually data flash areas can be exchanged with other data flashes for the same program flash.

If you put the wrong data flash onto an ECU, this is where you will need the "force program area" tickbox.
WinKFP would check the data flash, assume it has the correct program flash, and only re-write the data area. If you tick the box, it will re-program the program area and data area together.
This usually takes longer, so you would only need this if you have an ecu with a damaged file, repaired it with the wrong file type to get it to communicate, and then use WinKFP to do everything from start to finish.

I also have UIF write in expert mode (you would very rarely need the expert mode)
If you switch off the UIF write boxes, the ECU will update, but it will not show the new software or part numbers.
The UIF is User Info Field, where the VIN, part numbers, programming date etc is written.
Some ECUs only have limited space for these, each programming adds a new UIF.

If you have an ECU which has filled 15 UIF slots, untick those boxes and it won't add any new ones and run out of space. If you are programming back to original (keeping the same software version) this will help you so you don't run out of slots.
17-05-2018, 08:21 AM,
Does winkfp make a backup before programming? and where is this restored? And if it's necessary how to set back a backup?
17-05-2018, 12:42 PM,
WinKFP does not make any backups, but it will also only program certain areas.
It will not write over any areas holding the ISN or rolling codes for example.

One benefit of WinKFP is that you can choose a file to flash, instead of automatic determination.
Update ZUSB = This is automatic determination where it will select the latest file from the .HIS file in the ECU data folder
Choose ZUSB = You can select which ZUSB to flash

Ista/p will always do automatic determination, so if you are converting auto to manual for example, ISTA/P will update to a new automatic file.
If you know the manual file number, WinKFP will force the program to manual version.

It can not program to anything older that is no longer in the SP Daten, so older SP daten can be good to have.

A good idea to prepare for problems is if you are going to be changing a software type, first click the "update ZUSB", enter a VIN, click done, and then "prog ZB update"
This will show a box with your current ZUSB number and the new target it wants to program.
Take a note of these, as you might not find you original current ZUSB number to go back to, but at least you will know what to program it to if everything goes wrong. Do no continue at this point, cancel the programming.
Now you should at least know what a correct working software for the ECU will be, even if the changes go bad.

To change a ZUSB to something different, you will use the "choose ZUSB" button and manually select it. This would allow you to program a used 525d ECU to 530d for example ( "update zusb" would update it to a new 525D)

WinKFP is also good for ECU recovery.
If the ecu has been bricked during remapping for example, you might find that ISTA/P and diagnostics will not talk to it.
WinKFP can often still connect for basic identification, and allow the file to be programmed back to the ECU.

Finally, there is WinKFP expert mode.
If you imagine the WINKFP is pretty hardcore, the expert mode is even more so. Almost all of the safety features are switched off, and it allows you to do anything. This will mean you can make very big mistakes, but it is strong for resolving big problems too.

I use it when repairing FRM3 modules. You can load any FRM3 eeprom onto an FRM so it communicates again, but sometimes if you try to reprogram, WinKFP and ISTA will believe the software (from the eeprom) is the wrong version for the module. WinKFP expert mode can force the correct version.
Ideally if you can find and use the correct eeprom file for the FRM, you will not have this problem, but it can be hard to find the correct version.

I have seen some of the FRM3 EEPROM files are missing the BMW HW number, and WinKFP will refuse to program, and Expert mode will power through any errors or incompatibilities.

Attached Files
WIN_KFP_Expert Mode.pdf
File Type: .pdf
Downloaded: 376 times
Size: 1,007.52 KB

[+] 9 users say Thank You to PhilipM for this post
18-05-2018, 07:18 AM,
XZBMW  RE: Setting up WINKFP for E-Chassis Flashing
(17-05-2018, 12:42 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  I use it when repairing FRM3 modules. You can load any FRM3 eeprom onto an FRM so it communicates again, but sometimes if you try to reprogram, WinKFP and ISTA will believe the software (from the eeprom) is the wrong version for the module. WinKFP expert mode can force the correct version.
Ideally if you can find and use the correct eeprom file for the FRM, you will not have this problem, but it can be hard to find the correct version.

I have seen some of the FRM3 EEPROM files are missing the BMW HW number, and WinKFP will refuse to program, and Expert mode will power through any errors or incompatibilities.
This part is interesting, how to flash FRM3 module?

NBT EVO Apple CarPlay Full Screen, Navigation, Video in Motion, SSH, CP
EntryNav EVO Apple CarPlay, Navigation, CP, SSH, full FSC Pack
BMW FSC Retrofit CIC/NBT/EVO
8HP ISN Reset F Series Remote
Remote VAG Navigation Update, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Programming and Coding
18-05-2018, 07:23 AM,
Why you load any eep from FRM3 when you can extract original eep from D FLASH partition of MCU.
18-05-2018, 11:46 AM,
(18-05-2018, 07:23 AM)lupu_sandu Wrote:  Why you load any eep from FRM3 when you can extract original eep from D FLASH partition of MCU.

My Xprog has never managed to read the D flash from a corrupted FRM.
If I do select it, it would read an output an empty file of 0kb.

I have looked at some collections of FRM repair files, and in some of those I have also seen P flash reads, EEp reads, and D flash read of 0kb

Maybe I will try UPA next time to see if that is any better.

If there are any special tips for reading the D flash, please let me know
10-10-2018, 14:03 PM,
I want to flash a costumers DDE because of bad remap tune. Someone can help with it? I have fresh installation of standard tools and never worked with winkfp. K+Dcan is working fine in ista-d. sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Winkfp cannot read uif MPTeam 2 44 1 hour ago
Last Post: pRoxxxDD
  Flashing hybrid cars with E-sys ravager 0 146 18-04-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: ravager
  CCC flash WINKFP ICOM BimmerSLO 9 368 29-03-2024, 19:17 PM
Last Post: Hoborg
XZBMW WinKFP can't find ZUSB 6957356 andre426hemi 4 284 25-03-2024, 00:40 AM
Last Post: armenh7
  Flashing a stock box map to an E60 with XHP? GoNz0- 10 408 20-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: tomaxsas
XZBMW flashing modules hw-id redog4dy 5 351 04-03-2024, 13:26 PM
Last Post: redog4dy
  Power supply for coding flashing kklobo 14 975 29-02-2024, 08:37 AM
Last Post: nBlacky
XZBMW problem with flashing CHAMP2 module (the programming dependencies are not correct) azwgh 17 843 11-02-2024, 19:39 PM
Last Post: azwgh
  CAS 3 need repair after flashing stydly 10 524 02-02-2024, 15:43 PM
Last Post: 16eddi67
  Solved ✔ FIXED! winkfp flash DME fail? bushido1992 4 369 28-01-2024, 17:51 PM
Last Post: bushido1992