Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Retrofit W205 steering wheel to Older MB cars : NO CODING needed.
21-03-2017, 14:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017, 14:41 PM by taztheman.)
YTMercedes  Retrofit W205 steering wheel to Older MB cars : NO CODING needed.
hi

Hi CT team, this is a quick guide as to how to upgrade your steering wheel on a older MB car ( my W212 wheel was horrible & too big ).

I purchased a new W205 style wheel & decided to retrofit.

Contrary to what bullshit you read on the web, you DO NOT need a new steering column, it doesn't NEED any coding, it doesn't need anything special, other than YOUR TIME & effort.

You are welcome to waste your $$$ money and buy all the later 2014 columns, switches etc... and pay the extra $800 bucks !

I did my conversion for the price of the wheel, airbag & that's it ! about $400.

I will pass some of this hard work to a chap Kabboudi on the below forum link ( but his work needed some fine tuning to make it work, as I couldn't work out his pin outs for the new plugs.... which I finally managed to see with natural light & a big microscope !!! )

W205 wheel retrofit LINK, CLICK ME !!

Anyway, if you wheel looks like this >>>

[Image: Gj3XmGw.jpg]

you can make it look like this >>>

[Image: 6oFwNsX.jpg?1]

BEFORE YOU START, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY, AND DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WORK IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BASIC WIRING & SOLDERING, YOU'LL MAKE A MESS OF YOUR CAR !

1st :

Remove your old airbag & this will need some disassembly to get to the PCB on the old contact plate, as you WILL NEED to transfer this to the NEW airbag / contact plate module. This has all the correct coding in it for your car ! So this is the MOST valuable bit.

[Image: bUujn7o.jpg]

dismantle & you have this !

[Image: 28wNn6G.jpg]

then disassemble MORE >>>>

[Image: itffxVd.jpg]

note : In the bottom of the picture is the 2 black leads for the HORN, these will be soldered to the NEW contact plate hi

I forgot to take a pic, but the extended pink wires shows where these go ( easy to figure out when you have the new contact plate in bits from the NEW AIRBAG )

[Image: OMx0YMGm.jpg]

Now you transfer this into the new contact plate from the NEW wheel, NOW remember it will be a different width, and back-to front, however with some careful bending of pins, I made it fit, with careful dab of hot glue yes

[Image: 9wXXCpvm.jpg]

Don't worry about the button connectors being square, as you'll need to remove & fit into the new connectors ( easy )

[Image: 2BZgOAYm.jpg]

Next...

Buttons !

The ORIGINAL BLACK connectors are Numbered 1 - 6, easy to see, but the new delphi plug which are white & black is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to see the bloody pin numbers... but I found them using a microscope !

[Image: 8d12p14m.jpg]

You only need to KEEP the black & white multiplug, as the pins are the SAME thankfully on the old square black plugs >>>>

[Image: 66Xpr4l.jpg]

AND

[Image: z6r2IPg.jpg]

to remove pins, use a small jeweller screwdriver & care ! It will come out easily.

Make note to do one side at a time, and ONE at a time, so pin 1 is removed, then inserted into pin 1 of the NEW connector ! That way you WILL NOT MAKE A WIRING mistake !

One done, all you have to do, is extend the paddle shift connectors ( they are only 2 pins... if when you re-connect, you find they don't work, simply swap the terminals around & they WILL ! ), they must be CAN-SENSITIVE wiring to the PCB.

[Image: 2BZgOAY.jpg]

Now reassemble to new wheel fitted to the car ! & ensure ALL connectors are fitted

[Image: kXHYtH7.jpg]

Be careful to reconnect airbag, as the wires are tight for the switches etc....

Time to take was about 3 - 4 hours fiddling & 2 days research.

This WILL SAVE you $hundreds...

End result :

Paddles work
Switch lighting works
No CAN BUS errors
All Switch functions work.

Hope this helps CT TEAM yes

I'm off for a beer !

congratsenjoyrock

Learning is good, SHARING is BETTER hi

If my post helps you, don't be shy, say thanks & rep ! yes
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users say Thank You to taztheman for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear headrest lifting up coding Luksor 2 98 10-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Luksor
  Distronic Plus Retrofit Issue on a 2010 C350 pretrofit 4 620 09-04-2024, 21:00 PM
Last Post: pretrofit
  WDD212077 VGS CFF and scn coding search donjuan020 2 120 22-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Automotive 1
  Need remote coding - carplay, road sign recognition etc autocare 3 216 14-03-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: W211
  Crafter EZS coding with vediamo Untant 1 167 01-03-2024, 18:46 PM
Last Post: Viper1989
YTMercedes ZGW221 Coding kobservice 2 140 29-02-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: gcs190
YTMercedes Coding resetting to 'default'(0000 string) Mubmoh 0 137 15-02-2024, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Mubmoh
  Solved ✔ Mercedes W245 722.8 variant coding JorBo 3 274 17-01-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: JorBo
  DTS 8.16 License Needed immo1 7 1,848 16-01-2024, 17:22 PM
Last Post: MercFavor
  Vediamo coding fileset tintoverano 3 459 02-01-2024, 11:04 AM
Last Post: gcs190