Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Solved ✔ ICOM Next A problem (GENUINE)
07-07-2017, 14:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-07-2017, 03:26 AM by Clusters.)
XZBMW  ICOM Next A problem (GENUINE)
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone has any light on this issue. My ICOM Next A (genuine BMW) was working perfectly the last time I used it. In fact, I used it to re-adjust the steering angle sensor because I pulled the fuse to the X5M while installing a dash cam.

Anyways, last week, I wanted to use it again and now, the LAN light stays permanently on.

System light does not come on or even blink to show it's booting up. I tried firmware recovery to previous and latest versions. No result.

Tried it on a different vehicle, same problem. ICOM is not booting anymore, no SYSTEM LED.

I brought it back to the Dealer and they contacted BMW. BMW says support is tied into ISTA. I'm bringing it back tomorrow to my dealership so they can verify it's the ICOM itself before going further. It does have a 2 year warranty...

Anyone know of the solution?

THANKS!
Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2017, 20:17 PM,
RE: ICOM Next A problem (GENUINE)
Okay so I just want to provide an update...
I brought the ICOM back to BMW dealer and they could not even connect it to their system. Side by side, with their working one, mine only had the LAN light permanently on...no other LED is blinking or staying solid.

Shop foreman says it's my ISTA lol...I'm pretty sure the ICOM is bricked somehow.
14-07-2017, 21:41 PM,
So anyone buying a genuine ICOM is pretty much screwed. As I understand it only BMW partners get access to ISTA. So anyone else shouldn't even have ISTA..
15-07-2017, 09:43 AM,
What? open your eyes in this forum... smile
[+] 2 users say Thank You to M-Simon for this post
17-07-2017, 11:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017, 20:55 PM by Spirit5676.)
(15-07-2017, 09:43 AM)Munich Simon Wrote:  What? open your eyes in this forum... smile

I know where to get ISTA, but officially nobody but BMW partner should have it.. When you go to the dealer and they tell you the ICOM support is tied to ISTA what are you going to do? Yes you got ISTA, but officially you shouldn't have it. So you tell the rep that you got it, then he might ask you the dealer number etc. So you don't have dealer number because you aren't a BMW partner. At this point BMW can sue you for copyright infringement..

Point being that you can't expect to get any support for you ICOM.
17-07-2017, 19:15 PM,
(17-07-2017, 11:03 AM)Spirit5676 Wrote:  
(15-07-2017, 09:43 AM)Munich Simon Wrote:  What? open your eyes in this forum... smile

I know where to get ISTA, but officially nobody but BMW partner should have it.. When you go to the dealer and they tell you the ICOM support is tied to ISTA what are you going to do? Yes you got ISTA, but officially you should have it. So you tell the rep that you got it, then he might ask you the dealer number etc. So you don't have dealer number because you aren't a BMW partner. At this point BMW can sue you for copyright infringement..

Exactly. Dealer said the exact same thing. But there is no "disclosure" or any waivers that an individual owner needs to sign when buying an ICOM, which is why they're pretty sure they can get me a replacement one.

I don't think you need a dealer number though, because BMW TIS website offers subscription packages and you can get the suite downloaded.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to ssjgohanmlm for this post
17-07-2017, 20:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017, 20:59 PM by Spirit5676.)
(17-07-2017, 19:15 PM)ssjgohanmlm Wrote:  

I know where to get ISTA, but officially nobody but BMW partner should have it.. When you go to the dealer and they tell you the ICOM support is tied to ISTA what are you going to do? Yes you got ISTA, but officially you should have it. So you tell the rep that you got it, then he might ask you the dealer number etc. So you don't have dealer number because you aren't a BMW partner. At this point BMW can sue you for copyright infringement..

Exactly. Dealer said the exact same thing. But there is no "disclosure" or any waivers that an individual owner needs to sign when buying an ICOM, which is why they're pretty sure they can get me a replacement one.

I don't think you need a dealer number though, because BMW TIS website offers subscription packages and you can get the suite downloaded.

If you go that route they could ask you for the subscription number, if you don't have one you aren't allowed to have/use ISTA. This all depends on the dealer. If the dealer is nice, then they probably can get it replaced. Many dealers aren't selling ICOM to non BMW partners. Anyways I hope that you get your issue sorted and get a working ICOM. So you were able to buy it from your local dealer without any issues? You got friends working there or is the dealer just nice to you?
18-07-2017, 14:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017, 14:31 PM by ssjgohanmlm.)
(17-07-2017, 20:58 PM)Spirit5676 Wrote:  

If you go that route they could ask you for the subscription number, if you don't have one you aren't allowed to have/use ISTA. This all depends on the dealer. If the dealer is nice, then they probably can get it replaced. Many dealers aren't selling ICOM to non BMW partners. Anyways I hope that you get your issue sorted and get a working ICOM. So you were able to buy it from your local dealer without any issues? You got friends working there or is the dealer just nice to you?

For some of my vehicle's service, I use my dealer. I just walked in with the P/N and they ordered it for me, no questions asked.

A representative from BMW just emailed the parts department and they forwarded me this:

"Regardless of what software a customer uses the ICOM hardware warranty is controlled by BMW"
He also explicitly states that ICOM is not warrantied through the parts/logistics, dealer, or aftermarket sales.
There's a link to submit my trouble ticket so now it looks like the ICOM is definitely going to be warrantied.

Any further updates, I'll put it in this thread
20-07-2017, 12:56 PM,
(18-07-2017, 14:29 PM)ssjgohanmlm Wrote:  
(17-07-2017, 20:58 PM)Spirit5676 Wrote:  

For some of my vehicle's service, I use my dealer. I just walked in with the P/N and they ordered it for me, no questions asked.

A representative from BMW just emailed the parts department and they forwarded me this:

"Regardless of what software a customer uses the ICOM hardware warranty is controlled by BMW"
He also explicitly states that ICOM is not warrantied through the parts/logistics, dealer, or aftermarket sales.
There's a link to submit my trouble ticket so now it looks like the ICOM is definitely going to be warrantied.

Any further updates, I'll put it in this thread

That's good to hear
21-07-2017, 00:51 AM,
Problem resolved. New ICOM received.

From the time it took to submit a trouble ticket to receiving a replacement ICOM, this all took two days.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Bmw 5,f10 radio problem RobertRexhaj 2 56 Yesterday, 21:36 PM
Last Post: RobertRexhaj
  [MEGA] Any ESYS Editions + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 102 34,742 Yesterday, 05:59 AM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  ISTA launcher problem Red_bean_bun 1 155 26-03-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: 2013m5
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 1 128 26-03-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: rocdeng
  Dme Cas synchronization Problem donjuan020 3 202 25-03-2024, 21:55 PM
Last Post: BmwMerc
  BMW e39 530d 2001 problem after MAF change boweld11 3 102 24-03-2024, 22:44 PM
Last Post: SkeYT
XZBMW Entrynav2 Maps Problem Chillmeister 3 282 24-03-2024, 17:18 PM
Last Post: Chillmeister
  For anyone having problem with ICOM NEXT FW update via ISTA+. ImmBoo 16 3,896 24-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Twointje
  Battery lead positive underfloor problem da.2022 10 194 24-03-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: pupu144
  Problem Retrofit electrified steering column on the G31 LCI smercki 12 327 22-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Node