Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Bmw ethernet in depth ? (ENET)
02-01-2018, 09:38 AM,
XZBMW  Bmw ethernet in depth ? (ENET)
Hello guy`s

i`m looking for specifications and informations about BMW ethernet.

i`m looking for stuff like:

* whats running over ethernet (devices ?)
* known protocols ?
* encryption ?
* hardware topology (switches ?, cabling ?, ECU`s ? )
* connectivity (OBD 2 only via activation ?, direct access to the switch ? )

I saw that the F series do have ethernet for sure, but also some E model`s do have ethernet at the CIC-Pro, but for what reason/features ?

Kri
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2018, 09:43 AM,
RE: Bmw ethernet in depth ? (ENET)
All info on ISTA-D
02-01-2018, 11:20 AM,
Thanks for your answer.

I have already found some of the informations at ISTA-D , but not all of them.
what i have not found is where the eth of the CIC on E series is connected to, and what the pinout of the eth connector on the CIC is.

the reason why i`m looking for that information is that i retrofit a CIC-pro which has a ethernet connector into my E87 and want to use the ethernet port to upload files, but have not found the neccessary information if i can connect directly to the port or if i do need a ZGM which i have also not found at ISTA.

Kri
02-01-2018, 12:03 PM,
E-net from cic in Exx cars goes directly to OBD connector, you can find it in ISTA.
02-01-2018, 16:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2018, 16:11 PM by DNK76.)
Ethernet in the E Series is only up to
transferring maps and data to disk,
this is the information in ISTA D,
Ethernet (DoIP ) in the F and G series
it's a communication interface
it is started by connecting pin 8
(the ethernet port itself is inactive, without connecting the pin 8)
in ENET it is a resistor of 511 ohm 0.6W (to pin 16) + 12V
pin 3
pin 11
pin 12
pin 13
it does not require electronics, just an Ethernet cable and you can connect
like two computers

If my post helped you hit the thanks and reputation button!under
[+] 1 user says Thank You to DNK76 for this post
02-01-2018, 18:18 PM,
Thanks for your replies, thats good to hear that the Enet port goes directly to the OBD port when originally equipped.
but as i`m doing retrofit the question is what is the pinout of the orange ethernet connector at the CIC, as i want to mount a RJ45 network socket directly into my glove compartment.
All i find at ista (and TIS) are pictures with definitions of the CIC`s that have not the orange HSD ethernet connectors but only the CID and USB HSD connectors.

Kri
02-01-2018, 19:06 PM,
I don't know if you are aware but the orange connector is ethernet for RSE (rear seat entertainment).

Not entirely sure that it would act as a standard ethernet port into the CIC. I am happy to be corrected though. If you want info on connections then select a 7 series via operations -> basic features in ISTA+.

Alternatively if you want ethernet in the glove box then you can use a D-Link DUB-E100 version B1 to connect ethernet to the USB port in there.
02-01-2018, 20:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2018, 20:44 PM by Kri.)
Quote:I don't know if you are aware but the orange connector is ethernet for RSE (rear seat entertainment).

I know that the orange is descibed as RSE, thats why i was asking for the hardware topology, to identify if all ethernet devices incar will run over the same connection (like on PC networks, all pc`s are connected to the same switch)

From what i read until know (didn`t knew that before) it seems that the CIC also has a Ethernet Connector on the Quadlock plug.

Quote:Alternatively if you want ethernet in the glove box then you can use a D-Link DUB-E100 version B1 to connect ethernet to the USB port in there.

Now i get it, i first thought the this Adaptor will be used the normal way , to be connected to a ENET->ODB2 cable, so understood it the wrong way.
But it seems that the B1 (old grey) Adaptors are hard to get, and the newer black one (C1) do not work.

Quote:Not entirely sure that it would act as a standard ethernet port into the CIC. I am happy to be corrected though. If you want info on connections then select a 7 series via operations -> basic features in ISTA+.

Thx, this way i know found the CIC with the ethernet connector (A42*10B),there only is written "Ethernet" and not the exact pin assignement.
But i was able to find the assignment now at newtis with the Connector number biggrin

so next thing is to check if this connector is always active (no 5th pin for activation), or is able to activate it for example with an RSE FA

Kri
02-01-2018, 20:53 PM,
(02-01-2018, 20:43 PM)Kri Wrote:  so next thing is to check if this connector is always active (no 5th pin for activation), or is able to activate it for example with an RSE FA

Kri

You must connect Eth_A using a resistor for the line to stay up
Without this you will not be able to keep the connection alive for long
02-01-2018, 21:09 PM,
Quote:You must connect Eth_A using a resistor for the line to stay up
Without this you will not be able to keep the connection alive for long

The Orange ethernet connector does not have an Eth_A pin, HSD cables have only four pins, and that four pins ar RX+/- and TX+/-.

therefor i think this connection is either always on, or will be activated via software.

i also came to a conclusion that there has to be some kind of switching fabric buit in into the CIC, because basicly there are now three possible physical ethernet connections.

* OBD2 connector -> CIC Quadlock
* Glovebox USB Connector via DUB-E100
* HSD Cable -> RSE

Kri

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW BMW Remote ENET B O S S 11 1,233 06-04-2024, 17:38 PM
Last Post: Jalami
  FEM Not working with ENET but works wtih DCAN armenh7 2 287 01-04-2024, 20:21 PM
Last Post: armenh7
  Direct Ethernet to OABR cable for nbt evo coding HU_man 14 1,464 01-03-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: dncomputech
  ISTA AOS and enet cable Wojti77 6 1,274 24-01-2024, 04:28 AM
Last Post: vipsha
XZBMW No wifi internet after connecting enet via cable. AlpinWeiss2k18 4 329 20-12-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: gfriedrichi
  NBTevo Oabr Ethernet Cable (request) donjuan020 1 243 12-12-2023, 19:40 PM
Last Post: Fatalix
XZBMW ENET Connection Problems mikkaav 4 490 11-12-2023, 20:27 PM
Last Post: Node
  ENET Connection error in ISTA mcrussell 12 909 04-11-2023, 17:11 PM
Last Post: Siki78
  Entrynav2 ethernet issue jaramillo 0 269 22-10-2023, 03:37 AM
Last Post: jaramillo
  Did some handiwork, ENET cable with voltage display rocdeng 1 431 13-10-2023, 12:48 PM
Last Post: OneKillaWatt