Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

ISTA/D 2.36_ISTA/P 2.50.2 combined VM image, ISTA MOD and ICOM emulator V3.1
28-03-2014, 16:11 PM,
RE: ISTA/D 2.36_ISTA/P 2.50.2 combined VM image, ISTA MOD and ICOM emulator V3.1
Wow, thanks for the offer. I will try to figure this out myself for another couple days. It is a good learning experience. But I do appreciate your guidance!

Yes, I am using exactly the files and tools listed here. The only things I did differently:

1) I am using VM Workstation 9 (not 8 as mentioned here)

2) I used the VMWare Disk Utility to mount the disk and add the "app" files into the 160GB partition of the ISTA VM. I have confirmed those files are in place. The guide mentioned using another tool. I assume this is OK.

3) I had no VMnet2 in my VMWare setup, so added one using data I gathered from this and other guides. I set it up as Subnet IP 169.254.0.0 and mask 255.255.0.0, "Host-only" selected, and "Connect a host virtual adaptor to this network" unchecked and "Use Local DHCP" unchecked.

I am able to finally get the ICOM interface showing up in ISTA/P but it does not appear to be talking to my D-CAN at all. I tried in my car with power and no joy. No apparent contact to the D-CAN USB. In ISTA Diagnosis, the ICOM does not show up at all. I have confirmed D-CAN is connected to ICOM and it is on COM9.
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 16:23 PM,
RE: ISTA/D 2.36_ISTA/P 2.50.2 combined VM image, ISTA MOD and ICOM emulator V3.1
(28-03-2014, 16:11 PM)blueman2 Wrote:  Wow, thanks for the offer. I will try to figure this out myself for another couple days. It is a good learning experience. But I do appreciate your guidance!

Yes, I am using exactly the files and tools listed here. The only things I did differently:

1) I am using VM Workstation 9 (not 8 as mentioned here)

2) I used the VMWare Disk Utility to mount the disk and add the "app" files into the 160GB partition of the ISTA VM. I have confirmed those files are in place. The guide mentioned using another tool. I assume this is OK.

3) I had no VMnet2 in my VMWare setup, so added one using data I gathered from this and other guides. I set it up as Subnet IP 169.254.0.0 and mask 255.255.0.0, "Host-only" selected, and "Connect a host virtual adaptor to this network" unchecked and "Use Local DHCP" unchecked.

I am able to finally get the ICOM interface showing up in ISTA/P but it does not appear to be talking to my D-CAN at all. I tried in my car with power and no joy. No apparent contact to the D-CAN USB. In ISTA Diagnosis, the ICOM does not show up at all. I have confirmed D-CAN is connected to ICOM and it is on COM9.

you do not need to add vmnet2 to virtual network editor or mess with ip settings for this version.

custom(vmnet2) just needs to be selected in both vm settings only. it enable to vms to communicate with each other. no ip addresses need setting up.

all this should take only a few minutes.
29-03-2014, 04:34 AM,
Anyone having issues with the red ICOM status "Cannot Be used"

Please, Press the Buttons [Image: tyl_add.png],  [Image: postbit_l_add.gif], and [Image: postbit_reputation.gif] If this post helps, or useful information for you!

FSC Repair kits
Service history
Swiftec File Services
NBT/EVO/EntryNav2 (Provisioning only)
Feature code supplier - HUTOOL

29-03-2014, 05:17 AM,
Yes, this is what I get in ISTA/P program. Exact same result. I get nothing in ISTA/D program. But I think my main issue is that MOST bus cars will not work with ICOM emulator using D-CAN. But it should at least see some of the car. Not sure.

Is your car also a MOST car? My 2010 M3 is.
29-03-2014, 08:58 AM,
(29-03-2014, 05:17 AM)blueman2 Wrote:  Yes, this is what I get in ISTA/P program. Exact same result. I get nothing in ISTA/D program. But I think my main issue is that MOST bus cars will not work with ICOM emulator using D-CAN. But it should at least see some of the car. Not sure.

EuroCSL and Blueman2:

the icom is not registered. unregistered icoms will appear in ista/p with a red dot. In ista/d they will not appear at all.
(mod not applied correctly or possible something wrong with it but works for me fine on every computer I've tried it on).
Make sure you have put the app folder from mod in p:/app/wsm/. After you have applied the mod, re-mount & check in p:/apps/wsm/apps/agent/data/ that ICOM0079464 is listed and also in p:/apps/wsm/apps/manager/data/

Another possibility - Are you loading ista via a snapshot you created before you applied the mod???. Snapshots will overwrite/ignore any modified files when it loads up. Any snapshots need deleting first. Once you have applied the mod you can create a snapshot.

other info:

ista/d and icom emulator will work on any car via the obd2 port using dcan usb cable.
only ista/p needs MOST port connecting for programming on some cars.
29-03-2014, 17:28 PM,
Thanks again, Beemerboy88. You add a lot of value here on this forum and I appreciate it! I will try to start from scratch and see if I can get a better result.
29-03-2014, 21:14 PM,
(29-03-2014, 08:58 AM)beemerboy88 Wrote:  Make sure you have put the app folder from mod in p:/app/wsm/

Well, this is a very embarrassing case of my failure to carefully RTFM! read I copied the "app" files into the MAIN directory where there was also a folder called "app". I will try again, doing it correctly this time by copying into app/wsm.

Doh!!!

EDIT: Well, I am pretty damn embarrassed. You could not have made it more clear where to put the files, and you guessed correctly this was the problem, but it still took me 2 days to find my error. When I opened the Vm drive, I saw "app" in the main directory and put the files over those, rather than looking one more level deel into app/wsm. With that corrected, everything works perfectly!!!!

Of course, it did cause me to go out and buy 8GB of RAM for my laptop so that I can run these in VM without making my system come to a slow crawl as it pages memory....
29-03-2014, 23:40 PM,
(29-03-2014, 05:17 AM)blueman2 Wrote:  Yes, this is what I get in ISTA/P program. Exact same result. I get nothing in ISTA/D program. But I think my main issue is that MOST bus cars will not work with ICOM emulator using D-CAN. But it should at least see some of the car. Not sure.

I have a 12/2010 335I E93

(29-03-2014, 08:58 AM)beemerboy88 Wrote:  

EuroCSL and Blueman2:

the icom is not registered. unregistered icoms will appear in ista/p with a red dot. In ista/d they will not appear at all.
(mod not applied correctly or possible something wrong with it but works for me fine on every computer I've tried it on).
Make sure you have put the app folder from mod in p:/app/wsm/. After you have applied the mod, re-mount & check in p:/apps/wsm/apps/agent/data/ that ICOM0079464 is listed and also in p:/apps/wsm/apps/manager/data/

Another possibility - Are you loading ista via a snapshot you created before you applied the mod???. Snapshots will overwrite/ignore any modified files when it loads up. Any snapshots need deleting first. Once you have applied the mod you can create a snapshot.

other info:

ista/d and icom emulator will work on any car via the obd2 port using dcan usb cable.
only ista/p needs MOST port connecting for programming on some cars.
Okay Beemerboy ill try and reapply mod again and try before I make a quickstart snapshot then

Please, Press the Buttons [Image: tyl_add.png],  [Image: postbit_l_add.gif], and [Image: postbit_reputation.gif] If this post helps, or useful information for you!

FSC Repair kits
Service history
Swiftec File Services
NBT/EVO/EntryNav2 (Provisioning only)
Feature code supplier - HUTOOL

30-03-2014, 00:56 AM,
EuroCSL,

Make sure you copy the files into the subdirectory /app/wsm. I made the mistake of copying into main directory. Now it works perfectly!!! I just tried out both Diagnostics and Programing, and both worked well. VERY slow, though. Diagnostics takes about 5-10x longer than Rheingold. But at least this does programming, which is what Rheingold does not do.
30-03-2014, 01:45 AM,
(29-03-2014, 21:14 PM)blueman2 Wrote:  EDIT: Well, I am pretty damn embarrassed. You could not have made it more clear where to put the files, and you guessed correctly this was the problem, but it still took me 2 days to find my error. When I opened the Vm drive, I saw "app" in the main directory and put the files over those, rather than looking one more level deel into app/wsm. With that corrected, everything works perfectly!!!!

Of course, it did cause me to go out and buy 8GB of RAM for my laptop so that I can run these in VM without making my system come to a slow crawl as it pages memory....

Now it works perfectly!!! I just tried out both Diagnostics and Programing, and both worked well. VERY slow, though. Diagnostics takes about 5-10x longer than Rheingold. But at least this does programming, which is what Rheingold does not do.

Glad you got it working. ISTA vms are generally slow so it always best to use snapshots and have your computer set to high performance mode with all other programs closed.

Also I noticed in the rheingold launcher thread you said you were using windows 7 32bit. Are you using the 32bit system also for ista? I'm only asking because windows 32bit systems can only utilize 3.5GB ram. So even if you have 8GB ram sticks installed the system will only use 3.5GB of it. To use all of the ram you need windows 64bit installed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.47.1x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 21 2,263 3 hours ago
Last Post: vld
  ista + 4.47 install simplextibi 0 180 Yesterday, 17:42 PM
Last Post: simplextibi
  [MEGA] ESYS + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 107 36,274 Yesterday, 16:33 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  ista 4.46 Standalone kiranabc 95 11,516 28-04-2024, 16:43 PM
Last Post: palapas1974
XZBMW ISTA Standalone Licenserequest up to v4.37.4x Sedoy 8,711 670,921 27-04-2024, 14:11 PM
Last Post: Sedoy
XZBMW ISTA 4.46.xx problems and possible solution Sedoy 98 11,954 27-04-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: egyclick
  ISTA 4.47 test plan not available on M3 bmwm3power 3 176 26-04-2024, 20:15 PM
Last Post: 2013m5
  BMW MGU HDD image simaservis1108 3 365 26-04-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: emhtuning
XZBMW ISTA 4.47.1x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 301 24-04-2024, 22:52 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
XZBMW bmw hdd image need saninpwnzor 2 244 21-04-2024, 22:22 PM
Last Post: saninpwnzor