Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW DME - How to directly edit VIN in a Bin file? WinkFP Failing...
04-02-2019, 07:38 AM,
RE: BMW DME - How to directly edit VIN in a Bin file? WinkFP Failing...
I was able to get them synced, but possibly not in the 'easiest' way.  I used a hex editor on a copy of my bin file and removed the ISN from the image, then flashed it back to the DME.   I was then able to sync using INPA (F1 on the INPA EWS sync menu).    I've started and turned off the car several times now, all good!  

Thanks again for your help!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to bauerkraut for this post
04-02-2019, 13:17 PM,
Glad you resolved it, from the failed sync, it seems you somehow wrote the wrong ISN to the dme, possibly from the attempted ews delete.
You did the right thing, to transfer the ISN.
Alternatively you can write all FF in the ISN location, and then use the F1 button to do an EWS sync. It will then write the vehicle ISN on its own.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Enabled for this post
04-02-2019, 18:22 PM,
(04-02-2019, 13:17 PM)Enabled Wrote:  Alternatively you can write all  FF in the ISN location, and then use the F1 button to do an EWS sync. It will then write the vehicle ISN on its own.

That's exactly what I did, apologies if I wasn't clear.  I actually was not sure how to find the ISN or write to it using various tools.  By necessity, I've become comfortable with full bin flashing the DME in boot mode due to it becoming bricked, so hex editing the bin to FF over the ISN was the easiest method for me.  I found the details I needed for the bin editing over at RomRaider - 

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic...a1bcbecfc9

Question - If you know of any links to a procedure to update the ISN that does not require a full bin flash in boot mode, please let me know, I'd appreciate knowing the options.  

I'm getting a US DME from a donor E53 so I should be able to use that to get a US factory bin.  I'll see if I can pass smog with what I have first from the 'hungarian' factory bin, as I have a smog due in about 6 weeks anyway.  

2nd Question - The next thing I'll need to do is try to code a donor instrument cluster to my car and set the mileage.  My digits are terrible and I have a donor.  Again, if you are aware of any resources to guide in that process I'd really appreciate the direction.

At this point I'm able to recover a DME from complete non-communication and get it coded to the car and functional, so that is pretty powerful.  I'll look at more tuning options and what I can do using a partial flash going fwd.  Thanks!
04-02-2019, 19:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 19:24 PM by Enabled.)
There is no known way to change ISN while the dme is booted up, because ISN is in bootloader area. That's why boot mode is used. (It can write over FF while booted because FF = empty)

I can send you an E53 US factory partial bin for MS430056.. my dad had a 2001 x5 3.0i for over a decade.
You don't really need another ms43.
That or use the winkfp zb number for your car. It will be the newer MS430066 version with winkfp.

Mileage/VIN for the cluster is a bit tough on those clusters. The gauge needles/motors are very delicate, and it's rather easy to break them.

You can access the eeprom on the back of the board by soldering to some 7-8 pins and reading/writing in line on board with a good programmer. I have done a few of these. Not pleasant, but it works. Mileage isn't what matters for tamper dot, but rather the VIN. VIN requires a programmer on the m35080 eeprom.
04-02-2019, 20:05 PM,
(04-02-2019, 19:19 PM)Enabled Wrote:  There is no known way to change ISN while the dme is booted up, because ISN is in bootloader area. That's why boot mode is used. (It can write over FF while booted because FF = empty)

I can send you an E53 US factory partial bin for MS430056.. my dad had a 2001 x5 3.0i for over a decade.
You don't really need another ms43.
That or use the winkfp zb number for your car. It will be the newer MS430066 version with winkfp.

Mileage/VIN for the cluster is a bit tough on those clusters. The gauge needles/motors are very delicate, and it's rather easy to break them.

You can access the eeprom on the back of the board by soldering to some 7-8 pins and reading/writing in line on board with a good programmer. I have done a few of these. Not pleasant, but it works. Mileage isn't what matters for tamper dot, but rather the VIN. VIN requires a programmer on the m35080 eeprom.

Good to know about the instrument cluster.  Sounds like the rebuild with the trace ribbon may be the way to go or just live with it.  But my mileage was reset in some way with this DME change so I am looking for a way to get that accurate. 

My thought with the 2nd DME was to have a 'known good' that I could pop in for passing smog, recovering from a brick and be driveable, etc. , and a modded version that I would use 90% of the time.  I can pop the DME in and out in about 15 mins.  Just a preference really.  I like the idea of having a backup to rely on just in case, and will allow me to figure things out with the other one at a more leisurely pace.    

Still have a ton to learn here but it's intriguing.  If I get modding going successfully on mine, I'll move over to helping my son with his e46.  I've also owned an e39 for 6-7 years and all of the similar tech applies.  I have an idea that I may get another e39 in the future.  Always M54 engines for me as well.  

I can always use another bin if you don't mind posting it to me.  Never know when it may come in handy.  Thanks Enabled!
05-02-2019, 17:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 17:17 PM by Enabled.)
Here you go.

Original MS430056 X5 3.0i US partial. It will only work with the MS430056 fullflash/programming section.

Attached Files
X5 3.0 US MS430056.zip
File Type: .zip
Downloaded: 15 times
Size: 30.34 KB

[+] 2 users say Thank You to Enabled for this post
06-02-2019, 05:13 AM,
(05-02-2019, 17:16 PM)Enabled Wrote:  Here you go..

Original MS430056 X5 3.0i US partial. It will only work with the MS430056 fullflash/programming section.

Thanks Enabled!  Does this have any mods to it or is it basically stock? Same goes for the MS430056_PF08347_virgin.bin. I am hoping that one does not have the EWS delete, etc?
06-02-2019, 17:47 PM,
Stock. Modding that tune for a 4000lbs vehicle isn't really going to do much. Actually, the M54B30 flash is quite well optimized for power. Throttle pedal sensitivity, however, would be something interesting to work with.
06-02-2019, 19:10 PM,
(06-02-2019, 17:47 PM)Enabled Wrote:  Stock. Modding that tune for a 4000lbs vehicle isn't really going to do much. Actually, the M54B30 flash is quite well optimized for power. Throttle pedal sensitivity, however, would be something interesting to work with.

Sorry for picking your brain so much here, but I really appreciate all the information.  I'll look for pedal sensitivity in the 430066 euro bin I'm running now and see about replicating it.  The car definitely 'feels' peppier and more responsive with this bin, but part of that (or most of it based on your comment) may just be improved throttle response.

I also noticed that the car seems to more persistently stay in 4th gear when powering up long grades, but again that could be due to more throttle input for the same pedal travel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
PCitroen Help ori file Citroen Jumper 20HDI DCM62 bmw320d 0 33 04-05-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: bmw320d
ZTAudi Audi 2023 FRF file detti 0 35 02-05-2024, 07:02 AM
Last Post: detti
  Unsupported  Biggest maps file pack Demos 800gb! Tuned, original and more Jovanovskidivi 4 339 01-05-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: komaramnt
  W211 Original file needed Liveros 1 73 25-04-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Liveros
  Toyota ori file ltujustas 3 139 24-04-2024, 13:18 PM
Last Post: ltujustas
XSMini Source for DAMOS/A2L file skouk 0 79 24-04-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: skouk
  ori or not ori file Volvo XC60 2.0 D4 190hp radoin 1 52 24-04-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: giiintas
  need original file w176 loki954 2 90 22-04-2024, 16:07 PM
Last Post: loki954
ZVW Request: How to write to tuned EDC17CP20 only TprotOff file via Kess to OBD Zamperl 2 121 20-04-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Zamperl
ZVW VAG DCM6.2 fix after wrong flash file ELMEPRO 10 503 19-04-2024, 16:48 PM
Last Post: MahoJohn