Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW - official known recalls
24-02-2022, 13:40 PM,
XZBMW  BMW - official known recalls
Hello Mates,

unfortunately I could not find anything suitable for my question with the search function. If I have overlooked something, please point it out to me and delete the thread. 

I am currently looking for a used F07 . In my search for the right used car, I obviously want to know all about the items that are critical to consider.

If there has not been something like this before, perhaps we could create a list naming known issues and what to expect from BMW dealers when you go to them for goodwill even after warranty. 

So far I have been told or found the following info from various sources on the internet. To confirm this information, I am asking for your experiences.

1. cooler for exhaust gas recirculation defective: 
A defective EGR cooler can lead to an engine fire. Therefore, you can probably have the chassis number checked at a BMW dealer and get a new EGR cooler as a gesture of goodwill. 

2. spillage during jerky steering: 
There are said to be some faulty, riveted screws/bolts in the steering gear, which in the end results in an unsightly noise, which can be checked by sitting in the car, leaving the door open and moving the steering wheel back and forth more. If you hear noises, you can apparently have the steering gear repaired by BMW as a gesture of goodwill. The second way to test this = get in, start the engine, jerky steering. If you hear an abnormal noise, the steering gear is defective and you can also have the steering gear repaired by BMW.

3. air bellows lose air:
If you have a vehicle with air suspension on the rear axle and it is lower overnight on one side or on the entire rear axle than before parking, one or even both air bellows are defective. Here, too, there have been cases where BMW has replaced the bellows as a gesture of goodwill. 

4. rear view camera - unclear image in the middle of the picture:
Some rear view cameras are said to be leaking. Moisture enters the lens, settles in the center and "calcifies" the residue causing the image to become blurred. Here BMW should probably also replace the camera as a gesture of goodwill. 

5. water ingress - rear passenger compartment:
 The rear passenger doors are said to be partially poorly finished, so that moisture can get into the vehicle interior. BMW offers a butyl tape that the end customer can use to thicken the door panel and thus avoid moisture problems.

As mentioned, should it be dangerous half-knowledge on my part, please delete directly 

that's it from my side for now smile Greeting Martin

Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2022, 13:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-02-2022, 13:49 PM by Node.)
RE: BMW - official known recalls
With used cars best rule is LOOK AT THE ACTUAL CAR. Not at a list of problems which happen sometimes. You may miss other big problems with a specific car.

You didn't even say what engine you are looking at so 1 COULD BE a recall, goodwill or NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL.

Never heard about 2. 3 especially IS A VERY SIMPLE AND CHEAP FIX without any goodwill. 4, 5 nothing serious either.

Also you did not tell which part of the world you are in. Goodwills are EXTREMELY DIFFERENT.
24-02-2022, 14:24 PM,
RE: BMW - official known recalls
(24-02-2022, 13:47 PM)Node Wrote:  With used cars best rule is LOOK AT THE ACTUAL CAR. Not at a list of problems which happen sometimes. You may miss other big problems with a specific car.

You didn't even say what engine you are looking at so 1 COULD BE a recall, goodwill or NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL.

Never heard about 2. 3 especially IS A VERY SIMPLE AND CHEAP FIX without any goodwill. 4, 5 nothing serious either.

Also you did not tell which part of the world you are in. Goodwills are EXTREMELY DIFFERENT.

Hello Node,

True, I took out the engine designation in the post before posting, as some issues can come up regardless of the engine. 

In my case, I'm looking at a 530d and I'm expecting 200,000km or more mileage. I'd rather buy the car a little cheaper and invest a little in some measures than buy too expensive.

What would be your measure for problem 4 and 5 ?

I live in Germany.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Official CarPlay Retrofit question j007 18 4,070 24-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Last Post: emulajavi
  Want to flash retrofited 6WB Kombi in Car without official available retrofit. M-Simon 0 539 15-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: M-Simon
XZBMW What is last official BMW laptop/Tablet? ruben_17non 5 2,558 04-11-2017, 17:53 PM
Last Post: chang2