CarTechnoloGY
ISTA4 ENET Programming - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: ISTA4 ENET Programming (/showthread.php?tid=18568)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 29-09-2016

I set out few weeks ago on a personal quest to defy myself and learn as much as possible about ISTA, and specifically understand why ISTA programming bails out using ENET. With the generous help and pointers from @pshoey, multiple disciplines and zillion of logs/software applied and quite a bit of stubbornness, I finally got to a point where it shows some hope (see attached screenshots)!

I wanted to contribute something to this community as well to all those that like the convenience of using ISTA for programming too. So if someone who has experience with ISTA programming and want to give it a shot, let me know.

Latest Update: When selecting a random ECU (ASD) to re-encode (Vehicle modificaion, Coding only, Execute Measures), I get an "ABL-PRF-HSFZ_RESTART" error...
Good News: ISTA4/ENET calculates measures plans, displays the plans which I've compared results with Esys.

Other news:
- There are no more warnings/pop ups, see Post #8
- Prohibitions can be defeated by setting at your risk a newly discovered config pararm read post #18!

More details, links and resources in post #26.

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - sbc55 - 30-09-2016

Can let us know which file to change? Thanks.

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 30-09-2016

(30-09-2016, 13:55 PM)sbc55 Wrote:  Can let us know which file to change? Thanks.
Of course I could but I didn't want to yet to publish it, as I or other more experienced haven't tried to program with it, so I dont want to provide a half baked solution. The patch is not something easily done, it is not a configuration parameter to change in a .cfg file. If you want to try it at your own risk, I can PM you a link to the patched .dll.

I've been comparing the psdz log files provided by @hulahans (tx !), and the procedures are identical for both ENET and ICOM connections. So it looks promising.

- The first information message is harmless and is documented in ISTA/P release notes section 4.9.

- The 2nd one about "invalid IP addr" seems to be also a known ISTA/P fault as documented in the release notes: "4.7 Invalid IP address for BN2020 Ethernet control units", I ran the ABL suggested in the pop up screen, and it says nothing is wrong communicating to the HU.

So I checked my DHCP attached devices (my device runs a DHCP, 169.254/16 and I reserve the ZGW IP addr): (I trimmed the MAC to the OUI)

Code:
Client Name       MAC Address     Assigned IP        Lease Time
DIAGADR10BMWVIN      00-1A-37             169.254.30.65   Lear Corporation
DIAGADR63BMWMAC      9C-DF-03         169.254.0.1       Harman/Becker Automotive Systems GmbH
Diagadr 10 is for FEM_GW (ZGW) and DIAGADR63 is for HU_NBT, so both have assigned IP addresses so unsure why ISTA complains, but will look further into it.

FYI, ISTA/P release notes mention to do a battery reset, which I havent done.

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - sbc55 - 30-09-2016

Hi,

Thanks for the insightful information. I am just curious about the solutions. Since i don't really have the technical skill to look into this, i think is better not for me to play around with it.

Thanks again.

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 02-10-2016

Ok, some good news. I have been chasing the second pop-up screen about invalid IP for HU, nasty BMW hardcoded the IP range in ABL_MPB_CHECKIPHEADUNIT_ETHERNET.dll!!!

Code:
2016-10-01 12:39:23 INFO [T] ISTA: [15] _GL_SPOD#12893 IP-Adresse liegt nicht im Bereich: 192.168.11.0 bis 192.168.11.255 oder 172.19.0.0 bis 172.19.0.24 :  - 169.254.0.10

So I will change the DHCP config from the APIPA range 169.254 to either of those ranges and check. I am sure it will work!!! smile

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - Breach - 02-10-2016

From I can recall back in the day the problem with ISTA/P was that the ICOM emulator wouldn't flash MOST bus-based ECUs. But if you can get it working I think you'll make many people very happy wink

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 02-10-2016

(02-10-2016, 17:19 PM)Breach Wrote:  From I can recall back in the day the problem with ISTA/P was that the ICOM emulator wouldn't flash MOST bus-based ECUs. But if you can get it working I think you'll make many people very happy wink
Well, I spoke too fast, changing the DHCP range causes an error during vehicle identification and it fails, very weird... I tried Esys and it works fine !!!

And now my ZGW doesnt fall back to APIPA without using DHCP, the previous DHCP assigned IP addr sticks, I hope it defaults back after some sleep time... (yep it did)

Relevant log entries:

Code:
2016-10-02 13:11:16 INFO [T] ISTA: [22] ECUKom.apiJob() - (ecu: G_ZGW, job: STATUS_VIN_LESEN, param: , resultFilter ) - failed with apiError: 162:NET-0012: NO CONNECTION

"The vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-diagnosis has been activated."

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 13-10-2016

Ok some interesting progress! I couldn't really figure out why changing to a DHCP 192.168.11.[1-255], the vehicle test would fail. ISTA was arp'ing 169.254.255.255 instead of 192.168.255.255 (changing VCI Config->Search Broadcast did nada) . Further debugging and I discovered additional debug parameters to enable and behold, EDIABAS: Elektronic DIAgnostic BASic System.

It is the lowest layers interfacing to our vehicles, kinda like kernel drivers in an OS. Anyways, I translated few German docs and found out that if we use DHCP, we MUST change the following entry in C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\ediabas.INI: (don't know what ICOM does in this regard)

Code:
Interface        = ENET
RemoteHost       = 192.168.11.1 // DHCP assigned IP addr to ZGW
;RemoteHost       =  Autodetect // APIPA mode

And then voila, no more errors or pop up windows as per post 1 !!! So everything works, measures plans, advanced tab, ... But as I mentioned in post 1, I do not want to flash my car and still don't know if there will any voltage checks given KL is not retrieved in ISTA.

No one with ISTA programming experience has contacted me to try this, so we wont really know for sure what happen when we click "Execute Measures Plan"

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - Breach - 14-10-2016

(13-10-2016, 21:49 PM)aboulfad Wrote:  Ok some interesting progress! I couldn't really figure out why changing to a DHCP 192.168.11.[1-255], the vehicle test would fail. ISTA was arp'ing 169.254.255.255 instead of 192.168.255.255 (changing VCI Config->Search Broadcast did nada) . Further debugging and I discovered additional debug parameters to enable and behold, EDIABAS: Elektronic DIAgnostic BASic System.

It is the lowest layers interfacing to our vehicles, kinda like kernel drivers in an OS. Anyways, I translated few German docs and found out that if we use DHCP, we MUST change the following entry in C:\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\ediabas.INI: (don't know what ICOM does in this regard)

Code:
Interface        = ENET
RemoteHost       = 192.168.11.1 // DHCP assigned IP addr to ZGW
;RemoteHost       =  Autodetect // APIPA mode

And then voila, no more errors or pop up windows as per post 1 !!! So everything works, measures plans, advanced tab, ... But as I mentioned in post 1, I do not want to flash my car and still don't know if there will any voltage checks given KL is not retrieved in ISTA.

No one with ISTA programming experience has contacted me to try this, so we wont really know for sure what happen when we click "Execute Measures Plan"

Guess only one way to find out - someone just has to try. The chances of bricking ECU's is rather slim I think, it will either work or will fail due a connection problem, but you never know. I'm certainly not volunteering wink Also, even if it works for some ECUs it may fail for MOST-based ECU's over Ethernet.

RE: ISTA4 ENET Programming - aboulfad - 14-10-2016

@Breach, I am not concerned about bricking any ECUs, I just dont want to update my car's DME (no I dont have tunes)! its virtually impossible on my car series, especially using ISTA ! How do you know it fails for MOST-based ECUs over eth ??? hahaha, I guess you tried it ?