CarTechnoloGY
[SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: [SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction (/showthread.php?tid=24849)

Pages: 1 2

[SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - CarlosF11 - 05-06-2017

The hardtop / roof of my E93 stopped working.

I diagnosed with ISTA-D 4 and it shows error A691:
CTM: 'Rear module opened' hall effect sensor.

I checked this sensor through the test program in ISTA (ABL-DIT-B5410_93601), along with other sensors but they all seem to work correctly. I moved rear module (= trunk lid with back panel) manually up and down and sensor values are changing correctly. I dismounted the 'faulty' hall sensor on right pressure cilinder and checked with a little magnet, it's working correctly.

Currently the roof package is stowed in trunk and won't move when open/close button is activated. However, when I manually open and hold rear module in (vertical) open position it all starts working and the roof package WILL come out until positioned above rear seats, the rear module is moving back down and then the process stops as soon as the rear module is halfway closing. Exactly halfway. So closing process is not finished, and roof won't lock in trunk. And every time I try this again, the rear module stops at exactly same position.

The error code A691 can't be erased in ISTA, it's persistent. However, when I manually hold up the rear module in vertical position (so completely opened) the error code WILL be erased when tried again. Very strange.
Sadly, after erasing error code the top still won't move when open/close button activated. After that, error code is back!

I'm guessing it won't help to replace this hall sensor, since it's seems to work correctly. Can it be something in the CTM ??

I'm hoping on you experts to shine a light on this, otherwise I don't have any other option then going to the stealer with this.

Please help!

RE: E93 hardtop malfunction - atomantmk - 05-06-2017

Check relais and all 3 valves on pump, clean it up because sometimes water or rain makes troubles when trunk is open.
Update your CTM module with the latest software.

Gesendet von meinem HTC 10 mit Tapatalk

RE: E93 hardtop malfunction - CarlosF11 - 05-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 08:05 AM)atomantmk Wrote:  Check relais and all 3 valves on pump, clean it up because sometimes water or rain makes troubles when trunk is open.

Well, I checked the hydraulic pump area and switched the two relais. It's looking like new there, totally dry and clean. But then again, car is only 3 years old and garage kept. Didnt solve the problem though.

Then I reprogrammed the CTM with ISTAP and recoded, but after that immediately same error came up and roof still not working correctly. So no go sadly.

So, could it maybe really be the hall sensor or attached wires even when it seems to work okay according to ISTA?

RE: E93 hardtop malfunction - tonemoz - 05-06-2017

These hall sensors are not uncommon faults, cheap and easy to replace.

RE: E93 hardtop malfunction - atomantmk - 05-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 18:49 PM)CarlosF11 Wrote:  
(05-06-2017, 08:05 AM)atomantmk Wrote:  Check relais and all 3 valves on pump, clean it up because sometimes water or rain makes troubles when trunk is open.

Well, I checked the hydraulic pump area and switched the two relais. It's looking like new there, totally dry and clean. But then again, car is only 3 years old and garage kept. Didnt solve the problem though.

Then I reprogrammed the CTM with ISTAP and recoded, but after that immediately same error came up and roof still not working correctly. So no go sadly.

So, could it maybe really be the hall sensor or attached wires even when it seems to work okay according to ISTA?
Try to open hardtop with ISTA, there is possibility to open and close.

RE: E93 hardtop malfunction - kh_ching2003 - 09-06-2017

If have code say Rear code sensor,try remove 2 thing,i last time do like tat...

RE: [SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - CarlosF11 - 11-06-2017

(05-06-2017, 19:12 PM)tonemoz Wrote:  These hall sensors are not uncommon faults, cheap and easy to replace.

Problem solved. Turned out to be faulty wire to hall sensor. 20 euro replacement.

RE: [SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - Magustructor - 02-01-2019

How did you get the hard top to open manually?   My top is stuck closed, and will not open.  Warning light says the top is not locked.   (I am SURE I have debris in one of the switches/latches, as I found some shredded papers in my trunk.   The top was down, I put something in to the trunk, under the folded top, and must have pushed a paper up into the mechanism.)   If I can manually open the top, and slowly move it through a cycle of opening and closing, I can vacuum, or blow out the debris.

To repeat:  How do I manually unlock the top, so I can manually move it and clean out the mechanisms?

RE: [SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - CarlosF11 - 03-01-2019

(02-01-2019, 23:18 PM)MGusBimmer1 Wrote:  How did you get the hard top to open manually?   My top is stuck closed, and will not open.  Warning light says the top is not locked.   (I am SURE I have debris in one of the switches/latches, as I found some shredded papers in my trunk.   The top was down, I put something in to the trunk, under the folded top, and must have pushed a paper up into the mechanism.)   If I can manually open the top, and slowly move it through a cycle of opening and closing, I can vacuum, or blow out the debris.

To repeat:  How do I manually unlock the top, so I can manually move it and clean out the mechanisms?

I also sent PM, but to answer here:
According to my local dealership there's no way to manually open/close the hardtop. Only thing you can move manually is the trunk lid (when hardtop unlocked).

RE: [SOLVED] E93 hardtop malfunction - wowa84 - 03-01-2019

Read REP @ista. it shows how to open it manually.