CarTechnoloGY
I-Step Update Ready to Go? - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: I-Step Update Ready to Go? (/showthread.php?tid=31907)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I-Step Update Ready to Go? - DoZZa - 21-01-2018

After many days of reading, I am just about ready to update the I-Step in my F87 M2.

But before I hit that start button in E-Sys, I would like to confirm I have a couple of things correct!

I am using the E-Sys Flashing ECU Guide v1.0.1. Parts of the guide are slightly different with regard to the GUI of the version of E-Sys that I am using. The guide uses E-Sys 3.26.0 as an example, things look a little different in E-Sys 3.31.0.

Firstly, do I have the I-Step version the correct way round in the image below? I can confirm that my cars current I-Step is F020-17-03-505.

[Image: qkAMMt0.png]

I would like to do a complete flash of all ECU's. The image below is what I am presented with after follwing all of the steps in the guide, apart from clicking the start button!

If I click start at this point, will all my ECU's be updated to the latest I-Step and in the correct order? Or do I need to unselect ALL and adhere to the selecting of check the boxes in blFlash, swDeploy, cdDeploy, and ibaDeploy for each ECU?

[Image: dhdbiYC.png]

Thanks for your help smile

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - Loliceman - 21-01-2018

(21-01-2018, 00:55 AM)DoZZa Wrote:  After many days of reading, I am just about ready to update the I-Step in my F87 M2.

But before I hit that start button in E-Sys, I would like to confirm I have a couple of things correct!

I am using the E-Sys Flashing ECU Guide v1.0.1. Parts of the guide are slightly different with regard to the GUI of the version of E-Sys that I am using. The guide uses E-Sys 3.26.0 as an example, things look a little different in E-Sys 3.31.0.

Firstly, do I have the I-Step version the correct way round in the image below? I can confirm that my cars current I-Step is F020-17-03-505.

[Image: qkAMMt0.png]

I would like to do a complete flash of all ECU's. The image below is what I am presented with after follwing all of the steps in the guide, apart from clicking the start button!

If I click start at this point, will all my ECU's be updated to the latest I-Step and in the correct order? Or do I need to unselect ALL and adhere to the selecting of check the boxes in blFlash, swDeploy, cdDeploy, and ibaDeploy for each ECU?

[Image: dhdbiYC.png]

Thanks for your help smile

Hello DoZZa!
It seems to me that you have been good at doing your homework and it looks like you get the idea and functions of Esys already. 80% of people asking for help on the forums is looking for the easy and lazy one click solution. I like that you put some effort into this wink2

But just a few questions, is there any reason that you would want to flash the entire car in Esys? Flashing in Esys is a bit advanced and if all you want is a I-level update, I would suggest you go with ISTA together with SWI data setup.
What interface do you use? Power supply?

I can't give you a promise that everything will go fine based on the information you provided here. But if you want help or someone to look through the FA, SVT and TAL to make sure all is good - let me know and I can help you through teamviewer.

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - bmw335coding - 21-01-2018

As loliceman says i prefer to use e-sys for complete i-step update.

There are more comfortable - for example after flashing ICM you need some ABL to init it again, ISTA-D calculate a measures plan and do it fully automaticly.

Don't forget to use a good power supply - voltage constant at 13,8V.

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - tukan - 21-01-2018

(21-01-2018, 09:00 AM)bmw335coding Wrote:  As loliceman says i prefer to use e-sys for complete i-step update.

There are more comfortable - for example after flashing ICM you need some ABL to init it again, ISTA-D calculate a measures plan and do it fully automaticly.

Don't forget to use a good power supply - voltage constant at 13,8V.

I understand that you made a mistake and you also wanted to say that you prefer to use ISTA for complete i-step update, not e-sys?? wink

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - DoZZa - 21-01-2018

Thanks for the replies.

I have ENET cable and 60amp power supply which outputs 13.8v constant.

My understanding was with ENET cable, only E-SYS can do I-Step update. And to do full I-Step update with ISTA, an ICOM is required.

Is that not the case? Can I use ENET cable to do full I-Step update with ISTA?

Thanks

I-Step Update Ready to Go? - bmw335coding - 21-01-2018

(21-01-2018, 11:21 AM)DoZZa Wrote:  Thanks for the replies.

My understanding was with ENET cable, only E-SYS can do I-Step update. And to do full I-Step update with ISTA, an ICOM is required.

Thanks

Haha mate, don‘t use ENET cable to update a complete car like this!

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - Loliceman - 21-01-2018

(21-01-2018, 11:21 AM)DoZZa Wrote:  Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Power supply should be enough, but as bmw335coding says I would not recommend you to use ENET cable for a full update on Esys. Get yourself a ICOM. A genuine ICOM Next is only about 500-700 euro for a full kit. It's cheap considering what you can brick with using a ENET cable.

I appreciate your help with this.

I have seen quite a few people successfully complete an update with an ENET cable and E-Sys. So I am wondering why I would need to spend the money on an ICOM when it can be done with ENET.

Do you have personal experience with programming failure with an ENET cable?

RE: I-Step Update Ready to Go? - milkyway - 21-01-2018

Hello!

1.)
To flash a car with NBT with an Icom can produce funny errors for the most ecus when the Icom has an IP like 169.254.223.78 (Icom next). The easiest way is indeed to flash the car with an enet cable (or use a dhcp and change the ip-setup from the Icom). The only problem you can get with an enet cable is to flash an F1x (or F0x) ZGW1 (metall ZGW).

2.)
It's not necessary to load the SVT_SOLL, you can flash the car without it.

CU Oliver

Now I am really not sure.

Some say ENET is a bad choice for programming, others not.

And milkyway's post seems to indicate that ICOM is bad for programming some modules too!

Confused!!