CarTechnoloGY
DB communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: PSA Group (Citroen - Peugeot) (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: DB communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue (/showthread.php?tid=38599)

Pages: 1 2

DB communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - carbon55 - 20-08-2018

I have some issues, and I kindly ask you to help me.

Target vehicle: Citroen C3, manufactured in 2008.

Goal: add a new remote key

SO: VirtualBox Win7 32 bit Home Basic with all upgrade, with Visual C++ 2008 (normal and SP1, installed or verified presence) and .NET Framework 3.5 (normal and Service Pack 1, installed or verified presence)

VCI clone with application V4.3.0@ACTIA 02.01.2012, reference 921815 C/ inconnue

DiagBox 7.02 and subsequents, english version

1) MORE IMPORTANT
DiagBox 7.02
No any problem during installation.

After connected VCI to OBDB2 socket of my car, DB/Lexia indentify exact VIN (communication with car works, I hear relais that switchs) and ask me for RPO code (that I found on a label on my car, on driver side, 5 digit).

Only "search for the vehicle data" fail, but I guess that is not important (due to missing internet connection and no Lexia DB access, I guess)

I start Diagnosis/Global test/Switch off-on ignition.
After "search for the vehicle configuration", on coloumn "dialogue", as reply I obtain only NO

If I upgrade DB to version 7.57, I have same issues.
Idem if I upgrade to version 7.83 (with other and different issue, see below)

2) less important
When I upgrade from 7.57 to 7.58, and on all upgrade until version 7.83 included, appears this error message

Application name: psaagent.exe
Module name with errors: MSVCR90.dll
Version module with errors: 9.0.30729.4940
Exception code: 40000015
SO version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2

MSVCR90.dll is a C++ 2008 library, but C++ 2008 Redistributable is installed

A workaround is to recover psaagent.exe from DB version 7.57, but is not elegant and nor reliable...

Other workaround described in an other forum (in brief, add a key <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" value="SERIAL_NUMBER"/> in VirtualBox file) not works: after first start, this key disappers from VB file.

I ask you:
- psaagent is necessary with a Citroen car?
- to add a new remote key, version 7.57 (or 7.02) are adequate?

Please, can anyone kindly help me?
Thanks

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues - carbon55 - 21-08-2018

I have tried with Win XP 32 bit and some other VCI fw (4.2.9, 4.3.2, 4.3.4).

I also tried with hardware modification of VCI, as described in https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=7456

But with no lucky.

I need to insulate the issue: can anyone confirm me that if Lexia can read VIN, means that VCI and cable (OBD2 side and USB side) are ok?

I'm frustrated

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no other dialog - carbon55 - 23-08-2018

I made other trials:

- add DiagBox 6.30
- used VCI fw version 4.1.6, 4.2.0, 4.2.2, 4.2.4, 4.2.8, 4.2.9, 4.3.0, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4
- upgraded VCI from "921815/C Inconnue" to "963830/C PEUGEOT"

Same symptoms:
DB 6.30 and 7.02 detect exact VIN, but no dialog with ECU (DB 7.57 and 7.83 detect VIN only in AUTOMATED DETECTION OF VEHICLE

worried

Any suggestion?

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no other dialog - zmann - 24-08-2018

Sound like you have problem with the VCI hardware.
First basic check, open the cover and check for wire continuity of OBD pin1 to the soldering point on PCB.

Also good to check that, without VCI connected, when ignition on you have +12v present on OBD pin 1 of the car side.

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no other dialog - carbon55 - 24-08-2018

Thanks for reply.

While I do these checks, can you tell me if exists a simply software that can test communication (for example, that simply reads OBD traffic) and , obvious, that use PSA XS EVOLUTION interface?
Or a VCI emulator?

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no other dialog - carbon55 - 24-08-2018

(24-08-2018, 00:14 AM)zmann Wrote:  First basic check, open the cover and check for wire continuity of OBD pin1 to the soldering point on PCB.

I verified every wire from male OBD plug to internal connector in the VCI (on PCB) and seems OK. In other words, verified the cable included in interface kit + the short cable attached to VCI box.

The only "anomaly" is that, in male OBD plug, the pin 5 is not wired. But the pin 4 (that have same function, GND) is wired.

(24-08-2018, 00:14 AM)zmann Wrote:  Also good to check that, without VCI connected, when ignition on you have +12v present on OBD pin 1 of the car side.

On OBD car side, on connector under the steering, pin 4 and 5 are GND connected and pin 16 are +12V connected, both with ignition on and with ignition off.

Note: for OBD pinout I refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
[Image: OBD_connector_shape.svg]

Please, you can confirm me that my PSA XS EVOLUTION interface is a FULL chip?

Although I have read that a normal interface is sufficient for the C3. Confirm me?

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - zmann - 25-08-2018

(24-08-2018, 16:14 PM)carbon55 Wrote:  
(24-08-2018, 00:14 AM)zmann Wrote:  First basic check, open the cover and check for wire continuity of OBD pin1 to the soldering point on PCB.

I verified every wire from male OBD plug to internal connector in the VCI (on PCB) and seems OK. In other words, verified the cable included in interface kit + the short cable attached to VCI box.

The only "anomaly" is that, in male OBD plug, the pin 5 is not wired. But the pin 4 (that have same function, GND) is wired.

(24-08-2018, 00:14 AM)zmann Wrote:  Also good to check that, without VCI connected, when ignition on you have +12v present on OBD pin 1 of the car side.

On OBD car side, on connector under the steering, pin 4 and 5 are GND connected and pin 16 are +12V connected, both with ignition on and with ignition off.

Note: for OBD pinout I refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
[Image: OBD_connector_shape.svg]

Please, you can confirm me that my PSA XS EVOLUTION interface is a FULL chip?

Although I have read that a normal interface is sufficient for the C3. Confirm me?

Read my post again, on 2nd suggestion. Vehicle OBD socket pin1 must also have +12v when ignition on. You should tie pin4 and pin5 together.

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - carbon55 - 25-08-2018

(25-08-2018, 11:52 AM)zmann Wrote:  You should tie pin4 and pin5 together.

Immediately done!

(25-08-2018, 11:52 AM)zmann Wrote:  Read my post again, on 2nd suggestion. Vehicle OBD socket pin1 must also have +12v when ignition on.

Excuse me, I misunderstood (I thought you had suggested me the wrong pin). My mistake fail

Pin 1 leads 12V (14.1V, exactly) when I move the key to ignition on position and come to 0V when the key is in ignition off position).

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - carbon55 - 27-08-2018

Later trial:
I used a simply i/f with ELM327 chip (given by a friend), through Bluetooth and using Torque on smartphone.

Torque communicates with car, using ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud) as OBD2 protocol, and reading some parameters (throttle position, various temperatures, tachometer, etc.)

gavel

RE: Lexia 7 communication issues: VIN detect but no ECU dialogue - carbon55 - 27-08-2018

More and more seems to be the VCI fault.

Damn PSA XS EVOLUTION clone!

Stubbornly, I tried with 5.02, 5.20 and 5.29 DB version: VIN recognized, ECU not recognized.

During the tests (Diagnosis/Global test/Switch off-on ignition etc.) I noticed that switching between 2 rows in the list (BSI, radio, etc.):
- is slow (2-3 secs) if OBD2 plug is inserted in the socket car;
- is quickly (tenth of a second) if OBD2 plug is NOT inserted in the socket car.

In the first case, entire test lasts more than 1 minute. In the second, some seconds.