CarTechnoloGY
How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? (/showthread.php?tid=42053)

Pages: 1 2

How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 09-11-2018

So I got FRM3 that has wrong flash in it due it being fixed. Comfort mode won't flash the correct ZB. So how do I do it in expert mode? I've selected the correct ecu address, PABD and P_SGBD (I think). I can't find .0da file for it. I get the following error when I select program file:

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - rs@chip - 09-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 22:27 PM)Spirit5676 Wrote:  So I got FRM3 that has wrong flash in it due it being fixed. Comfort mode won't flash the correct ZB. So how do I do it in expert mode? I've selected the correct ecu address, PABD and  P_SGBD (I think). I can't find .0da file for it. I get the following error when I select program file:

try enable "force programing" in comfort mode and flash it again

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 10-11-2018

(09-11-2018, 23:46 PM)rs@chip Wrote:  
(09-11-2018, 22:27 PM)Spirit5676 Wrote:  So I got FRM3 that has wrong flash in it due it being fixed. Comfort mode won't flash the correct ZB. So how do I do it in expert mode? I've selected the correct ecu address, PABD and  P_SGBD (I think). I can't find .0da file for it. I get the following error when I select program file:

try enable "force programing" in comfort mode and flash it again

I'll try that thanks.

Anyone know how to flash in expert mode? Would be nice to know for future.

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Impac - 10-11-2018

Go into google and type bmw winkfp expert mode pdf
First link

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 10-11-2018

(10-11-2018, 20:21 PM)Impac Wrote:  Go into google and type bmw winkfp expert mode pdf
First link

I've already taken a look at that before asking here. In that pdf they are flashing MV1746, which has 0da file. In FRM3 folder I can't find any 0da files, only 0pa files. I've checked several ISTA-P releases.

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 11-11-2018

Anyone flashed FRM3 with expert mode? Do I need the .0da file?

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - willisodhiambo - 12-11-2018

My friend. This FRM can not be recovered if it was repaired with the wrong file!! FRM comes with boot sector file from factory so no .oba or .oda file to write to it. Only the programming file

You need to get the right ZUSB. Do you know it? Pick it from comfort mode.

The error you are seeing is not software compatibility error, it is inability of winkfp to access the chip!! FRM only need .OPA file. If comfort mode is failing, expert mode will not succeed.

Need repair with a programmer. Is it red in ista? If it is, bmw tools will not work.

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 07:59 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  My friend. This FRM can not be recovered if it was repaired with the wrong file!! FRM comes with boot sector file from factory so no .oba or .oda file to write to it. Only the programming file

You need to get the right ZUSB. Do you know it? Pick it from comfort mode.

The error you are seeing is not software compatibility error, it is inability of winkfp to access the chip!! FRM only need .OPA file. If comfort mode is failing, expert mode will not succeed.

Need repair with a programmer. Is it red in ista? If it is, bmw tools will not work.

It is green in ISTA, the FRM3 has X5 flash in it according the p/n I get with BMW tools. I see it now has 9249073 according to ISTA. I should have 9249091. The FRM sticker says E89 E9x and 9249091. There are several posts says I need to use Expert mode to flash the correct file in it, since it has wrong flash in it (example: http://blog.cardiagtool.co.uk/how-to-use-winkfp-to-flash-frm3/). I haven't tried to enable force programming, since it's not my car so I would like to get it sorted in one go. I know the correct ZUSB (9249091), tried without force programming and it wouldn't flash it. Will it flash it with enable force programming? I didn't do the repair on the FRM3, I was just going to code it.

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - willisodhiambo - 13-11-2018

OK, here are the steps....

Go to the data file for your FRM3 in C:\BMW\ISTA-P\BMW\Services\data\ecudata\E89\datafor example, open the FRMR3 folder. Look for a file 9249091.opa If you don't find it open the .his file in notepad and look for this number on the left, then pick the new number on the right and continue till you have the latest file. That latest will be the correct latest .opa based on your datens.

Create a develop folder in C:\EC-Apps\NFS\DATA. In that folder copy the .opa file from above.

Open coapi.ini file in C:\EC-Apps\NFS\CFGDAT. In that file write your opa name as below
ZBNUMMER = xxxxxxx
SWNUMMER = xxxxxxx where X is the .opa or ZUSB no.

Now open comfort an emulate an update then note the P-ABD and P-SGD nos. Also note the ECU address.

Go to expert mode and load the three above and program file, load your vin and then program program file only. In configurations enable boot sector update and UIF update

Try it we see. Takes a few steps to get expert mode going.

RE: How to flash FRM3 in expert mode? - Spirit5676 - 13-11-2018

Thank you, I'll report back when I get my hands on the car.