CarTechnoloGY
ICOM Next Factory Settings - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: ICOM Next Factory Settings (/showthread.php?tid=79036)

Pages: 1 2

ICOM Next Factory Settings - AlpinWeiss2k18 - 18-05-2023

Hello, 
Does anyone know how I can reset the Icom Next to factory settings?
I bought it from the bmw local dealer.
I only use it with lan cable, as I connect it to the car and open iToolRadar it shows me IP 169.254.74.105, and if I scan with ISTA, th IP it change and shows me IP 192.168.4.1, does anyone know any solution?

RE: ICOM Next Factory Settings - CATAHA - 18-05-2023

While holding reset switch reset times 30/60/90/120 Seconds

From my observations, IP are shown based on protocol that ICOM/ISTA will use to connect to the car

(18-05-2023, 15:24 PM) AlpinWeiss2k18 Wrote:  Hello, 
Does anyone know how I can reset the Icom Next to factory settings?
I bought it from the bmw local dealer.
I only use it with lan cable, as I connect it to the car and open iToolRadar it shows me IP 169.254.74.105, and if I scan with ISTA, th IP it change and shows me IP 192.168.4.1, does anyone know any solution?

RE: ICOM Next Factory Settings - Node - 18-05-2023

That is PROPER ICOM operation!!! And it's NOT related to ISTA!

(18-05-2023, 15:36 PM)Node Wrote:  That is PROPER ICOM operation!!! And it's NOT related to ISTA!

How would you explain first boot of ICOM and run of ISTA ICOM ip always shown as 192.x.x.x but after use of Easyconnect ICOM switches to 169.x.x.x ?
Also when ICOM see's part B been connected it automatically goes to 169.x.x.x on either Exx or Fxx
 Or 
When connecting to Fxx models ICOM shows 169.x.x.x
But when connecting to Exx models IP shown as 192.x.x.x also it shows a D-CAN?
with ICOM-Next-04-23-10 firmware

I would love to hear your input/explanation of it

If it's set to DHCP and currently at 169.x.x.x - just wait some time and it will switch to 192.168.4.1.

If it's on DHCP setting, it waits for external DHCP to kick in. If it does not kick in after some time, internal DHCP starts and it switches to 192.168.4.1. Elementary!

Or better use external DHCP and then no problems AT ALL!

Here is SOME technicality for you
TCP/IP has RULE(s) one of them is called 30+5(in Windows)
When RJ45 boots up/senses power it send-out broadcast msg and waits for return upto 30 seconds, if it doesn't receive it then it sends another msg and waits 65 seconds and so on until it either receives an IP_ADDRS or goes to default of 169.x.x.x unless there is overwrite rules present (in case of ICOM/ISTA there are) and so far i counted 6 rules there could be more...
ICOM Firmware has overwrite build-in so as ISTA
ICOM sense protocol and acts accordingly with conjunction of ISTA or absence of it.
if it doesn't senses then it kicks-in into default
That's why we see either 169.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x and based on that we can determine what cause it or what rule been used.

(18-05-2023, 16:03 PM)Node Wrote:  If it's set to DHCP and currently at 169.x.x.x - just wait some time and it will switch to 192.168.4.1.

If it's on DHCP setting, it waits for external DHCP to kick in. If it does not kick in after some time, internal DHCP starts and it switches to 192.168.4.1. Elementary!

Or better use external DHCP and then no problems AT ALL!

OK, let me improve my wording, if you are so picky on that...

I don't know about windows rules, but according to IP v4 standard 169.254.x.x subnet is reserved for APIPAs (automatic private IP addresses). These are not routable, etc. And are supposed to be used by IP v4 implementations as fallback addresses.

So you get an address from this range (random, or implementation dependent) when in DHCP mode but no DHCP OFFER unicast response is received in response to DHCP DISCOVER broadcast packets. OR when DHCP OFFER unicast is received, but DHCP ACK is NOT received in response to DHCP ACQUIRE unicast packet.

ICOM defaults to this address in DHCP mode by default. HOWEVER on newer firmwares if ICOM is set to DHCP AND it does not get DHCP OFFER within some timeframe since Ethernet link is established (I don't remember exact time amounts) it begins activating it's own DHCP server. After it starts, ICOM get's an address assigned by it's internal DHCP server. And it's this 192.168.4.1.

IP address of computer ALSO CHANGES after this, because computer ALSO sends DHCP DISCOVER messages periodically, NOT just once or twice. And eventually it gets DHCP OFFER from ICOM's internal DHCP. Followed by DHCP ACQUIRE/DHCP ACK packets pair.

Now if ICOM gets DHCP OFFER in time after establishing ethernet link from external (to ICOM) DHCP server, then it does not enable it's internal DHCP server, and the external DHCP is responsible for automatic IP configurations in the network.

In my shop I have DHCP server for quick operations. If I need to go offsite to a broken car, I really appreciate this new ICOM's internal DHCP. And then I'm happy to wait for a minute or two for it to kick in.

RE: ICOM Next Factory Settings - AlpinWeiss2k18 - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 16:51 PM)Node Wrote:  OK, let me improve my wording, if you are so picky on that...

I don't know about windows rules, but according to IP v4 standard 169.254.x.x subnet is reserved for APIPAs (automatic private IP addresses). These are not routable, etc. And are supposed to be used by IP v4 implementations as fallback addresses.

So you get an address from this range (random, or implementation dependent) when in DHCP mode but no DHCP OFFER unicast response is received in response to DHCP DISCOVER broadcast packets. OR when DHCP OFFER unicast is received, but DHCP ACK is NOT received in response to DHCP ACQUIRE unicast packet.

ICOM defaults to this address in DHCP mode by default. HOWEVER on newer firmwares if ICOM is set to DHCP AND it does not get DHCP OFFER within some timeframe since Ethernet link is established (I don't remember exact time amounts) it begins activating it's own DHCP server. After it starts, ICOM get's an address assigned by it's internal DHCP server. And it's this 192.168.4.1.

IP address of computer ALSO CHANGES after this, because computer ALSO sends DHCP DISCOVER messages periodically, NOT just once or twice. And eventually it gets DHCP OFFER from ICOM's internal DHCP. Followed by DHCP ACQUIRE/DHCP ACK packets pair.

Now if ICOM gets DHCP OFFER in time after establishing ethernet link from external (to ICOM) DHCP server, then it does not enable it's internal DHCP server, and the external DHCP is responsible for automatic IP configurations in the network.

In my shop I have DHCP server for quick operations. If I need to go offsite to a broken car, I really appreciate this new ICOM's internal DHCP. And then I'm happy to wait for a minute or two for it to kick in.

Now I understand.
Thank you so much for your time and detailed response!

RE: ICOM Next Factory Settings - CATAHA - 19-05-2023

I didn't want to upset you more then you already are with all of that forgetness on top of it...
moreover overwhelm and confuse you with all of the nonsense BRCAST_UNICAST/SND(15sec)_RCV(15sec)_ACK(10~15sec)/ARPs(60~120sec)/Layers/Topology/etc...
But i like your dedication moving forward to knowledge

(18-05-2023, 16:51 PM)Node Wrote:  OK, let me improve my wording, if you are so picky on that...

RE: ICOM Next Factory Settings - vld - 19-05-2023

Just one correction, there is no DHCP server in ICOM. This is activated only if ISTA is used, and from version 4.2X. I don't remember exactly XX.

If you just plug it into a car even though it is set to DHCP, no matter how long it sits plugged in, it will stay with an address of apipa 169.254.x .x.
For me, this is the best DHCP configuration with WiFI set up. If the LAN cable is not attached, it automatically connects to the wireless network, if it is attached, it takes an address from ISTA or remains at apipa 169.254.x.x, which allows it to be reserved with an easy connect for use with E-sys or BMW standard tools .