CarTechnoloGY
BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible (/showthread.php?tid=79421)

Pages: 1 2 3

BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - JacekS - 29-05-2023

Hi
I got an issue with connecting to my e34 520i with MS40.1
I'm using d-can cable as well as Icom next with ista or inpa and non of those can find my ecu. Both programs do connect to ABS, EWS & Airbag systems but not to ECU.
INPA is showing error ms401k20 not found, even if this files exist in ncsexpert folders.
ISTA is connecting as well to ABS, EWS, & Airbag system but not ECU
when I'm trying manually connect to cu it says no module found.
I did use 2 different OBD1 adapters but still no luck.
Did test OBD socket and i do have continuity on diagnostic pins in obd and ecu. i do have 10+V on pins 15,18,20 and 5.6V on pin 16.

By any chance can someone help me with that problem.
Thank you

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Node - 29-05-2023

ICOM next real or chinesium ICOM?

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Vojno - 30-05-2023

E34 has "K" and "L" diagnostic line! D-CAN cable has ONLY"K"-line!
So you can't read totaly e34 even with ICOM-A only if you have ICOM-C (with eletronic inside)
The car is after 93/9 thats way you can read ABS, EWS and AIRBAG, because this ECU-s has only "K" line!

and one more thing....
INPA is from ~93' so on e34 can handles only if the ECU exist in 93'-94'!
Some DME or DDE only handles if its with EWS!

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - JacekS - 30-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 19:59 PM)Node Wrote:  ICOM next real or chinesium ICOM?
honestly do not know, I got one on order from BMW but it was on back order for last 12 month before i got this one, been told its legit but not sure.

(30-05-2023, 12:44 PM)Vojno Wrote:  E34 has "K" and "L" diagnostic line! D-CAN cable has ONLY"K"-line!
So you can't read totaly e34 even with ICOM-A only if you have ICOM-D (with eletronic inside)
The car is after 93/9 thats way you can read ABS, EWS and AIRBAG, because this ECU-s has only "K" line!

and one more thing....
INPA is from ~93'   so on e34 can handles only if the ECU exist in 93'-94'!
Some DME or DDE only handles if its with EWS!

Yes my one is next so i think it should connect to my ecu, but it says it cannot be found.
Like i mentioned i was trying through D-CAn cable and Icom next using two different adapters OBD > OBDII but no luck.
what then will connect to this ECU?

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Cowboy - 30-05-2023

I think ADS together with ediabas 6.4.3. and the old INPA 3. I recently made such a set for e36. It connects to all modules without any problems

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Spitfire555 - 30-05-2023

(30-05-2023, 12:44 PM)Vojno Wrote:  So you can't read totaly e34 even with ICOM-A only if you have ICOM-D (with eletronic inside)

For E34 series ICOM A with ICOM C adapter (round, 20pin) is enough. Works like a charme from 1987 models till last ones from 1996.

No need for ICOM D (ICOM D is the adapter for motorcycles).

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Node - 30-05-2023

Exactly, you need ICOM C. Not some generic OBD2=>1 adapter, because 99.9% of those do not have L line support. That is assuming your ICOM is proper and it's L line works.

Of course you could add wires to generic adapter IF it has repective pins.

I do have icom C. I just opened it for you to see if it need anything to add.
The other one is from my other diagnostic tool that have adapter for old bmw and merc.
Should all pins be connected to corresponding pins in obdII ?
As far I can tell pin 19 should be ground and it’s not connected to anything on this plug but I may be wrong

RE: BMW E34 connection to ECU not possible - Node - 30-05-2023

That is CLEARLY NOT an ICOM-C. This is how an ICOM-C is supposed to look (and IDK if original looks exactly like this, this is chinesium, but the real thing should be smth similar)!

P.S. You made so many photos of OBD2 end, but I really can't descramble whether there are wires on pins 15, 17 & 20 in 20 pin end... Also yes, AFAIR pin 19 should be ground.

P.P.S. Assuming red wire on 16 pin end is pin 16 (power) then pin 15 is NOT connected, and that is exactly where L line should be going... And pin 19 SEEMS to be in ORDER (i.e. going to both pins 4&5).

P.P.P.S. OK, based on position of red wire (going to black wire near 20 pin) and assuming that is pin 14 (as it's supposed to be) you can CLEARLY see pin 15 is NOT connected on BOTH sides!

P.P.P.P.S. So conclusion is this does NOT EVEN pretend to be ICOM-C, just GENERIC OBD2-to-20-pin cable made for D-CAN cables AND ONLY newer cars which have K line ONLY.

Ok so it’s looks like it’s cheap Chinese adapter then. I assume best will be to buy original adapter then.
Hope with original adapter I can connect to my ECU.
Thanks mate