CarTechnoloGY
high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - Printable Version

+- CarTechnoloGY (https://cartechnology.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Discussions All about Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=310)
+--- Forum: Automotive Help & Discussions / Software and Hardware (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Forum: BMW - Mini - Rolls Royce (https://cartechnology.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Thread: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA (/showthread.php?tid=81936)

Pages: 1 2

high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - Thorsten - 06-08-2023

Hello,

I noted a high CPU usage through Microsoft defender, after installation of ISTA.
This is starting afer every reboot.

I setted up a "new" notebook with Windows 10 latest available version, all updates got installed.

CPU usage of Microsoft defender wasnt high, nothing what gave the CPU fan a reason to start blowing.

Then, ISTA got installed, all fine and after first reboot, the CPU fan is blowing for next 30 minutes, possible longer.

I checked out the task manager and saw:
Antimalware Service Executable -> Microsoft Defender Antivirus-Dienst

This takes 25% of CPU usage and is starting every time after the notebook got a reboot.

Somebody has expirience with this or a working solution?
Sure, using another Virus software could solve it, but I think for the everyday life that Microsoft Defender is enough.

Thorsten

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - BimmerLubuskie - 06-08-2023

Disable permamently Defender. Is easiest option it was broking a lot of other BMW Apps for me. When I need to reinstall System first to do what I do is permamently disable it.

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - Thorsten - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 14:37 PM)BimmerLubuskie Wrote:  Disable permamently Defender. Is easiest option it was broking a lot of other BMW Apps for me. When I need to reinstall System first to do what I do is permamently disable it.

Ok,

which virus scanner software would you recommend?

Thorsten

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - BimmerLubuskie - 06-08-2023

Honestly? I don't use anything. Have only checked before installers for software what I use and when want to try something unknown i use Sandbox like VMW.

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - zero9 - 06-08-2023

Or just its scheduled scan which is always interrupted?

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - Thorsten - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 14:46 PM)BimmerLubuskie Wrote:  Honestly? I don't use anything. Have only checked before installers for software what I use and when want to try something unknown i use Sandbox like VMW.

Ok,

if you use your PC only for diagnostic, without internet connection, it should be ok.
But not, if you use on PC other software, which requieres internet connection or things for daily work like email.

Thorsten

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - mipe - 06-08-2023

Try uninstalling BMW ISTA Launcher.
And install it only when you update...

mipe

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - emhtuning - 06-08-2023

These days all kind of antivirus software are getting more and more aggesive in blocking apps and keep an eye on non international well known apps ( like ISTA and many other German local apps ). We have a big problem at work with G-data antivirus software as well.

luckily there is a very easy solution other than disabling the scanner completely .

Go to Virus & Threat Protection -> Manage Settings -> Exclusion -> Add or remove Exclusion :

Add the folder where ISTA is installed , then windows Defender will stop monitoring this path .

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - maksymw - 07-08-2023

The only way to do this is one that works, after updating ISTA, enabling background programs like (ISTA Launcher) is not needed at system startup, ISTA works without them. Use Autoruns for this. I do this myself and have no problem with high CPU usage. I enable these apps if I need to update.

RE: high CPU usage through Microsoft defender after installation of ISTA - noobontour - 07-08-2023

I would suggest the same like emhtuning wrote. Make an exception for the install directory of ISTA and check if your cpu utilization is still that high. It could be also that after the fresh installation of windows the defender has to build up his internal database of existing files and their hashes. I would give the pc a week or two and then maybe it isn't that busy any longer.

And ... btw ... i totally agree with you that a laptop with internetconnection has to run antivirus software. Have seen so much crappy maleware and viruses in the last few month outside that it becomes a bit russian roulett to run a system without protection.