Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Reduce Size Of ISTA+ Installation Possible?
07-10-2023, 07:55 AM,
RE: Reduce Size Of ISTA+ Installation Possible?
(07-10-2023, 07:23 AM)tinkerman Wrote:  Why bother? Because for an installation for personal use, I don't need ALL the data, which just takes up a lot of space and time to handle, and "unnecessary data space" is "wasted money".

The thing is that ISTA ist not made for personal use - it is serious software, and asking for such a custom repacks are just silly!
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2023, 08:54 AM,
Windows compression is "on the fly", once compressed, data is used in real time, no need to decompress first to access it, so this is not simple storage solution. Other than that I get what you want, but as more experienced users say - no easy/cheap way to trim sql data.

Making symlink to sql folder and put it on lets say SD card/USB stick will work, but access will be very slow...
07-10-2023, 10:20 AM,
(07-10-2023, 07:55 AM)zero9 Wrote:  The thing is that ISTA ist not made for personal use - it is serious software, and asking for such a custom repacks are just silly!

I've been using ISTA software for over 10 years, and know very well it is a "serious software". Again I am not "asking for" any "custom repacks". If there is a simple way, and someone knows & is generous enough to share their knowledge, it would benefit many people. There are way more people using this software for personal use than professional mechanics, I assure you. I have been using ISTA-D in under 50GB format for over 10 years, and some claim to use ISTA+(diagnostics only) versions under 40GB (albeit not the latest current version). Therefore, your claim that such interest is silly is perhaps your opinion only, not a universal fact. I mean no offense, just want to share some facts with you. Cheers.

(07-10-2023, 08:54 AM)BusyBox Wrote:  Windows compression is "on the fly", once compressed, data is used in real time, no need to decompress first to access it, so this is not simple storage solution. Other than that I get what you want, but as more experienced users say - no easy/cheap way to trim sql data.

Making symlink to sql folder and put it on lets say SD card/USB stick will work, but access will be very slow...

Thanks for your clarification regarding Windows compression("on the fly"), I was not aware of such fearture, but it is not quite what I seek. I understand very well that there may not be a simple solution(as I've browsed the SQLite DB data in DB Browser - it is a vast sea of data!), that is why I am inquiring on forums, just in case someone with deep insight into the SQLiteDBs might have some advice. Cheers.
07-10-2023, 10:31 AM,
(07-10-2023, 10:20 AM)tinkerman Wrote:  Again I am not "asking for" any "custom repacks". If there is a simple way...
Yes you are! And user Node answered perfectly, someone with a knowledge of doing this - wont spend time to do this, because it is useless job to repack it.

Using ista for 10years and cant buy proper hardware to run it (using virtual machine)...
I mean no offense, just want to share some facts with you.
07-10-2023, 10:52 AM,
(07-10-2023, 10:31 AM)zero9 Wrote:  Yes you are! And user Node answered perfectly, someone with a knowledge of doing this - wont spend time to do this, because it is useless job to repack it.

Using ista for 10years and cant buy proper hardware to run it (using virtual machine)...
I mean no offense, just want to share some facts with you.

Did I ask you or 'Node' for some 'software tool'? No. Period.

Your assumption that I " cant buy proper hardware to run it (using virtual machine)" is not true, I just prefer VMs because they can be used as a secure "sandbox" for "unofficial" software, and they can be modified/optimized/copied/deleted with flexibility and efficiency that cannot be matched with native installations. 

If you or anyone else is not interested in this topic, there are many others in this forum that ought to be of interest to you. I seek no advice or service from you nor Node. Cheers.
07-10-2023, 10:58 AM,
(07-10-2023, 10:20 AM)tinkerman Wrote:  I've been using ISTA software for over 10 years, and know very well it is a "serious software". Again I am not "asking for" any "custom repacks". If there is a simple way, and someone knows & is generous enough to share their knowledge, it would benefit many people. There are way more people using this software for personal use than professional mechanics, I assure you. I have been using ISTA-D in under 50GB format for over 10 years, and some claim to use ISTA+(diagnostics only) versions under 40GB (albeit not the latest current version). Therefore, your claim that such interest is silly is perhaps your opinion only, not a universal fact. I mean no offense, just want to share some facts with you. Cheers.

(07-10-2023, 08:54 AM)BusyBox Wrote:  Windows compression is "on the fly", once compressed, data is used in real time, no need to decompress first to access it, so this is not simple storage solution. Other than that I get what you want, but as more experienced users say - no easy/cheap way to trim sql data.

Thanks for your clarification regarding Windows compression("on the fly"), I was not aware of such fearture, but it is not quite what I seek. I understand very well that there may not be a simple solution(as I've browsed the SQLite DB data in DB Browser - it is a vast sea of data!), that is why I am inquiring on forums, just in case someone with deep insight into the SQLiteDBs might have some advice. Cheers.

First - I fully agree with zero9. You ARE asking for custom repack. And as I've ALREADY told you there is NO simple way! And how many of those "way more people" would need REPACKED ISTA databases???

If there are so many as you think, it's elementary! Just need to find those "way more people", lets say a thousand of them, collect 1€ or 2€ from each, and I will make you a repacker for that amount smile Cheaper than a cup of coffee biggrin

Second thing - external USB flash drive is NOT automagically terribly slow. You can easily buy EXTREMELY fast usb flash drives. Of course your computer should have USB3.

Regarding those who brag about 40GB ISTAs I'm pretty sure they use 10 years old versions 3.xx. Of course you could just throw out all videos/pictures/etc from databases and they would become somewhat smaller.

P.S. Data being SQLite has NOTHING to do with this job. If anything, it's more of a hindrance than benefit as it is shittiest database there is. You need to learn how ISTA stores data in there, there is NO generic method to remove unnecessary data. (Well, if it would be PROPER database with table relations, it could be much easier, but... SQLite).
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
07-10-2023, 11:09 AM,
@ Node / zero9, I fully understand your points of view, and sincerely respect them. Thank you.
08-10-2023, 06:28 AM,
Hello,
why don't you use an external hdd/ssd ? Once everything is installed, it's done. On my laptop, I removed the CD drive and added a second SSD instead.
I understand this is not your question but it is simpler than modifying complex software.
08-10-2023, 10:05 AM,
(08-10-2023, 06:28 AM)stecom90 Wrote:  Hello,
why don't you use an external hdd/ssd ? Once everything is installed, it's done. On my laptop, I removed the CD drive and added a second SSD instead.
I understand this is not your question but it is simpler than modifying complex software.

You are absolutely right.

I have an E series for personal use, so I can just continue using my ISTA-D/P 3.5X / 3.71 VMs without any issues, and these are optimized containing only E series data so the sizes of these VMs are relatively small around 50GB. ISTA+ diagnostics data seems to be pretty much the same black & white info of the ISTA-D content, so it seems unnecessary to insist on using ISTA+ (for E series diagnostics).

If I need to reference later series/different brands, I can use my ISTA+ 4.39.20 with 4.43.31 data updates. The only inconvenience is that I need to temporarily backup files on my laptop to make enough space to accommodate the larger ISTA+ installation VM, and its larger size means longer time for decompression and copying. I don't use the software on a daily basis so I do not need it on my laptop at all times.

If I were one of those that do use it on a daily basis, surely I would have a dedicated laptop with much more "muscle", but I'm fine with what I have for now. I will be upgrading my laptop eventually(as I need it for 3D design/engineering) and native drive space size would not be an issue then, but even so I have to agree with those that consider it a PITA that ISTA in general has this 'Jabba the Hutt' like size(its binary data initially shows up as "BLOB" in DB Browser, biggrin ), making its install/optimization/operation feel slow considering how fast computers are these days.

The reason I don't prefer the external drive via USB method is just due to a preference for having all software accessible on native SSD - which unfortunately for my current laptop is not upgradeable as it is 'hardwired', and there is no other 'internal physical drive space' that could accommodate another drive. Cheers.
08-10-2023, 13:12 PM,
(07-10-2023, 00:06 AM)tinkerman Wrote:  
(06-10-2023, 22:53 PM)yomismo 01 Wrote:  and simply because it doesn't try to put the largest files somewhere else. Memory card, pendrive
and creates a symbolic link to said files.

I would appreciate very much if you would be a bit more specific (i.e. your reply above starts with an incomplete sentence, and your second comment is grammatically unclear). I fully understand if English is not your main language, I just want to understand what you are implying. Cheers~

- I'm sorry but you used a translator
-Try putting the large files in another location and creating symbolic links
-an example would be 
cmd
mklink /d C:\EC-APPS\ISTA_4.32.15\Rheingold\SQLiteDBs D:\EC-Apps\ISTA_4.32.15\ Rheingold\ SQLiteDBs

mklink /d C:\EC-APPS\ISTA_4.32.15\Rheingold\PSdZ  D:\EC-Apps\ISTA_4.32.15\ Rheingold\PSdZ

I just want to help, sorry if the translation is not good.

Attached Files
symbolic links.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 9 times
Size: 87 bytes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW ISTA+ Licenserequest 4.45.30 B O S S 6 246 19 minutes ago
Last Post: B O S S
XZBMW ISTA Standalone Licenserequest up to v4.37.4x Sedoy 8,709 662,919 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sedoy
  ISTA 4.47 test plan not available on M3 bmwm3power 3 68 3 hours ago
Last Post: 2013m5
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.47.1x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 12 1,359 7 hours ago
Last Post: shawnsheridan
  ista 4.46 Standalone kiranabc 84 10,532 10 hours ago
Last Post: kiranabc
XZBMW ISTA 4.46.xx problems and possible solution Sedoy 97 11,616 Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Last Post: vld
XZBMW ISTA 4.47.1x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 238 24-04-2024, 22:52 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
XZBMW [MEGA] ISTA 4.32 // ISTA-P 3.72 + ALL LOADER up to 6.6 // no license needed hashtagmaster 61 18,378 21-04-2024, 22:17 PM
Last Post: grizzle
XZBMW ISTA SQLiteDBs PL Polish 4.40.12 - 4.40.40 maksymw 3 983 21-04-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: matigdy
XZBMW Update ISTA 4.39.20 SQLiteDBs Italian Language diman64 10 1,000 20-04-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: elettra19