Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Software upgrade with ISTA/P
26-06-2016, 06:06 AM,
XZBMW  Software upgrade with ISTA/P
I'm new to coding/programming with ISTA/P so I have one question about vehicle I-Level upgrade.
When you do codding/programming with ISTA/P does it automatically upgrade the I-level of the vehicle in that process or there is a way to choose whether to upgrade or not?
In which case ISTA/P want's to upgrade the I-Level of vehicle?
Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2016, 08:18 AM,
RE: Software upgrade with ISTA/P
It will automatically write new I level if you program the car with ista p.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to SweetBMW for this post
26-06-2016, 17:01 PM,
This is not mine, I saw it on the internet and copied it. With that said here is some great info on I-level:

What is I-level (or Integration Level?)

The ECU's in a BMW are not meant to be updated individually, rather as a collection which BMW tested and knows all work fine together.The collective version number of all programmed ECU's is called the I-level, or Integration level (German: I-stufe). The term I-level was adopted by BMW around the year 2004 and applies only to lines which were in development/production in 2004 or after (E60, E70, E90, etc.).

The I-level is a set of numbers that looks like E89X-11-09-410. The first part represents the chassis group, which is followed by the year and month of the release and a build number for that release. So, E89X-11-09-410 would mean an E80/E90, 09/2011, version 410.

You will often see a set of two I-levels, something like E89X-05-10-026, E89X-11-09-410. In this case the first set is called the Factory I-level, or the level with which the car left the factory, and the second the Dealer Organization I-level, or the current version programmed by the dealer.

What you should realize is that neither Progman nor ISTA will be able to do anything if it contains an earlier data set than the I-level programmed in your car. That's normal when you think about it, as Progman doesn't know this version and has no idea what to do with it.

In order to see the maximum I-level supported by Progman, look in the file D:/Programme/IFS/SP/E89/daten/E89AEDOC.000 (open it with a text editor, I recommend Notepad++), scroll to the end, and look for a comment that looks like this:
//E89-11-09-410
That is the maximum I-level that this particular SP data set supports (other chassis may have a different format, look for the word "I-stufe").
For other chassis groups replace E89 with your appropriate chassis (E60, E46, etc.)
Another way to see which I-levels an SP data set supports is to look in the file kmmData/kmm_ZK.txt.
Note if there were no changes in a particular data set release, there will also be no changes in this file (and hence no new updates for your car).

Keep in mind that some modules like the DME can be updated a very limited number of times. This has to do with high reliability demands for the module. Therefore always think twice before re-flashing a module, if it works fine and there are no above cool features in a new release that you just must have, leave it alone.

How is the I-level determined?

Progman polls all known modules for their identification, which contains among other things the UIF block (user info field). This contains the so-called ZB-number (zusammenbau, or assembly identification number), which is simply the part number of a particular programmed ECU (i.e. its a unique value assigned to a unique combination of ECU hardware and software). This number Progman maps, using internal tables, to an I-level to which this particular assembly corresponds.

Does the I-level stored in the car?

Yes: In E-series the factory and actual I-level is stored in CAS and FRM.

Hope this helps with understanding I-level better smile
[+] 14 users say Thank You to bryosb for this post
27-06-2016, 07:15 AM,
@bryosb

I came across this description also. But I was wondering does ISTA/P always update the I-Level even when you do just simple operations. To be specific, I work with BMW bikes and need to do coding for example after retrofit of LED turn signals or heated hand-grips and not changing DME, KOMBI or other units. Does in this case ISTA/P update the I-Level anyway?
27-06-2016, 08:03 AM,
Not for coding only.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to SweetBMW for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW [MEGA] ISTA 4.32 // ISTA-P 3.72 + ALL LOADER up to 6.6 // no license needed hashtagmaster 60 17,942 9 minutes ago
Last Post: alexak
XZBMW ISTA Standalone Licenserequest up to v4.37.4x Sedoy 8,696 650,600 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sedoy
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.45.3x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 10 2,129 11 hours ago
Last Post: rocdeng
  ISTA Polish SQLiteDBs 4.45.30 PL Thomas77 0 83 Yesterday, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Thomas77
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.46.5x Install Files - MEGA shawnsheridan 4 700 16-04-2024, 14:31 PM
Last Post: shawnsheridan
XZBMW ISTA 4.46.5x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 189 16-04-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
  ista 4.46 Standalone kiranabc 59 8,175 14-04-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: kiranabc
XZBMW ISTA+ 4.39 add/enable Expertmode ABL alex_cv 3 265 14-04-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: alex_cv
  EVO Map upgrade FSC request appeti 2 148 14-04-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: appeti
  ISTA File Missing? Homersbud 5 258 13-04-2024, 23:53 PM
Last Post: rocdeng