Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

DIY Beginner - ICOM/Kess/Coding
19-06-2018, 14:24 PM,
XZBMW  DIY Beginner - ICOM/Kess/Coding
Hello everyone. I’m trying to become more self sufficient with my UK Spec, 2008, 320i E90 and also be able to help others out in my neck of the woods if I can. Mechanically I’m coming along reasonably well and can do the basic, obvious, or well documented repairs or service on my car. I have an ICOM A+B+C and have been able to use ISTA+ to do my diagnosis for some time now. Where I’m looking for direction/help/assistance is with beginning to understand BMW coding and tuning. I have gotten my hands on a Kess V2 (Red) to add to my hardware/software toolbox.

My first entry into DIY is a practical one. I had a major N43B20 issue where I spun a bearing and rebuilt the engine as the block was fine and the head was not warped. The crankshaft and all the bearings were replaced and all was well again. The root cause was discovered to be an oil breakdown issue because of heat which was traced back to the catalytic converter of all things that was clogged. To minimize or remove the chances of a repeat in the short term we removed the cat and surely the heat that was being contained in the engine bay is no more. I can run soft; I can run hard; I can run and actually stand next to the car without melting shoes or clothing lol. So no cat… great (or not but we can debate the merits of a cat in another thread)! BUT the engine light! The infernal oxygen sensor fault. Both oxygen sensors that are after the cat are new sensors so I know that its not the sensors. I’ve put spacers on them. Engine light. I’ve put a spacer on the spacer to move the oxygen sensor further out of the main exhaust stream. Engine light. So I’m thinking that I should be able to delete/kill the sensors with some coding/programming/tuning.
  • What’s the difference in coding, programming, and tuning? I don’t want to use the terms interchangeably if they’re not the same.
  • Where do I start?
  • What can I do? How can I get into my first ‘project’ - removing the engine light after having de-catted the car?

Thanks in advance to the hive.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2018, 14:34 PM,
RE: DIY Beginner - ICOM/Kess/Coding
Coding - setting up configuration switches already in the module
Programming - usually updating or changing official software versions
Tuning - modifying official software versions.

You will need to read your ECU (KESS) and find the way to disable the fault codes for the lambda.
Maybe if you are lucky, you could find an official software version that does not use the check engine light for catalyser monitoring, but they are rare on modern cars.
19-06-2018, 14:38 PM,
(19-06-2018, 14:34 PM)PhilipM Wrote:  Coding - setting up configuration switches already in the module
Programming - usually updating or changing official software versions
Tuning - modifying official software versions.

You will need to read your ECU (KESS) and find the way to disable the fault codes for the lambda.
Maybe if you are lucky, you could find an official software version that does not use the check engine light for catalyser monitoring, but they are rare on modern cars.

Thanks PhilipM. This is a start. I'm also seeing/reading about INPA and NCS Expert as ways of possibly removing the code from the list of errors maybe. The hunt continues...
19-06-2018, 19:54 PM,
Only possible with modifying the dme software file... Read it with your Kess, and let other guys remove the faultcode....
20-06-2018, 12:38 PM,
Coding is just selecting or switching available options. I.e. you can't code a module that's not installed. I would say the term coding is interchangeable with programming.

Tuning is adjusting the map table to suit installed modifications - exhaust, intake, injectors, turbo, intercooler etc.

As far as I know, there are ECU brand e.g. Bosch specific applications to modify ECU images. Using kess, download your image. Head of over to tuning section of the forum.
21-06-2018, 05:48 AM,
Well, I will be trying this lambda delete this weekend. Reading with kess them manipulating DME dump and writing back. I will report back if I succeed.

Interestingly tool32 can do lambda delete but I have no idea how they do it.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to willisodhiambo for this post
21-06-2018, 11:35 AM,
(21-06-2018, 05:48 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  Well, I will be trying this lambda delete this weekend. Reading with kess them manipulating DME dump and writing back. I will report back if I succeed.

Very cool. Let me know how it goes. I’ve installed Tool32 and planned on following some tutorials this weekend. I also need to install Kess and test that too so You’re much further along than I. Keep me posted please and thanks!
22-06-2018, 09:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-06-2018, 09:41 AM by willisodhiambo.)
(21-06-2018, 11:35 AM)djcarbon Wrote:  
(21-06-2018, 05:48 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  Well, I will be trying this lambda delete this weekend. Reading with kess them manipulating DME dump and writing back. I will report back if I succeed.

Very cool. Let me know how it goes. I’ve installed Tool32 and planned on following some tutorials this weekend. I also need to install Kess and test that too so You’re much further along than I. Keep me posted please and thanks!

Well, yesterday I started with VVDI Pro. Soldered to the ECU board of a CAS 2 and read eeprom and flash. Loaded eeprom into tango and extracted ISN? Cool. So I think I can now clone a key from the CAS data.

Over the weekend I want to try revive a dead frm along with the lambda delete. I will keep you posted. So far I have ISTA, INPA Tools, Kess, Ktag, Tango, VVdi pro and Useless Xprog 5.74 clone that keeps asking for certificate so unusable
22-06-2018, 09:59 AM,
Dang. Keep it coming. I’m sure this will help others as well as whatever I can try to glean from it. sweating sweating sweating
25-06-2018, 07:31 AM,
(22-06-2018, 09:59 AM)djcarbon Wrote:  Dang. Keep it coming. I’m sure this will help others as well as whatever I can try to glean from it. sweating sweating sweating

---------------------------------

Did my first FRM recovery successfully. Very fulfilling..

So this car's FRM3 just went dead. Red in ISTA. I have VVDI pro
Got a dump from some good chap, first convert the Pflash to EEprom, then created an EEprom sector in the FRM. Then wrote to the EEPROM. Success. FRM back to life.

Next I wand to clone a CAS 2. Still waiting to try the lambda delete.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW G01 2019 X3 - ATM Replacement/Coding Help Needed jchisholm17 10 317 18-04-2024, 21:44 PM
Last Post: jchisholm17
  [MEGA] Any ESYS Editions + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 105 35,845 17-04-2024, 18:36 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  TMS FRM3 F10 Coding issue mj_mj_mj 17 1,897 16-04-2024, 09:30 AM
Last Post: user_530d
  BMW F10 RHD to LHD coding? morto 12 1,468 13-04-2024, 17:32 PM
Last Post: pablito94
XZBMW ICOM Firmware (NEXT & A2) always current! Vojno 206 42,944 12-04-2024, 23:36 PM
Last Post: bennymx
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 3 306 12-04-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: Node
  E60 EVO OABR to OBD Coding painsage 13 476 12-04-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: painsage
XZBMW 1 serie F40 coding help nixte 1 145 08-04-2024, 17:16 PM
Last Post: Fatalix
  BMW E60 Telephone coding for mr12volt Jbpetkov 3 191 06-04-2024, 19:02 PM
Last Post: Jbpetkov
  NBT Evo CAFD missing after coding error Mugga 12 498 05-04-2024, 20:30 PM
Last Post: Mugga