Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Looking for some guidelines on starting ECU Tunning
21-12-2018, 23:45 PM,
0Dash  Looking for some guidelines on starting ECU Tunning
Hello gentlemen,
Hope that your holidays are being well spent and enjoyed.

I am looking to start learning and testing ECU Tunning and so far, surfing the forum as already helped me either with some software and some knowledge aswell.
I am know my stuff in what matters to cars, however I am still understanding all this stuff from tunning programms and interfaces to map understanding and etc

But to start off I would like to hear your opinions and answers to some of my questions if don't mind x)

So my questions as of now are:
- Which interface do you recommend to start off? (Kess V2, Galletto V54, Galletto 0475, MPPS V12/16/18) ?

- What is the difference of a reworked clone of an interface and is it worth it vs a eu/china clone?

- What map tunning program do you recommend to start with? (ECM Titanium, WinOLS, other...)

- I read that it's recommended to keep the battery attached to a power supply to avoid getting the voltage low?

I have a MPPS V16 from China and I tried reading the ECU of a Renault Grand Scénic II 1.5 dCi 106 but it kept giving me an error so I just gave up. + I heard that MPPS can brick an ECU just by trying to read it so I am not planning on trying it again...

I would like to thank everyone who helps me out in advance,
and also wish everyone a merry christmas and happy new year!

Best Regards,
MiK
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2018, 00:12 AM,
RE: Looking for some guidelines on starting ECU Tunning
(21-12-2018, 23:45 PM)MiK17 Wrote:  Hello gentlemen,
Hope that your holidays are being well spent and enjoyed.

I am looking to start learning and testing ECU Tunning and so far, surfing the forum as already helped me either with some software and some knowledge aswell.
I am know my stuff in what matters to cars, however I am still understanding all this stuff from tunning programms and interfaces to map understanding and etc

But to start off I would like to hear your opinions and answers to some of my questions if don't mind x)

So my questions as of now are:
- Which interface do you recommend to start off? (Kess V2, Galletto V54, Galletto 0475, MPPS V12/16/18) ?

- What is the difference of a reworked clone of an interface and is it worth it vs a eu/china clone?

- What map tunning program do you recommend to start with? (ECM Titanium, WinOLS, other...)

- I read that it's recommended to keep the battery attached to a power supply to avoid getting the voltage low?

I have a MPPS V16 from China and I tried reading the ECU of a Renault Grand Scénic II 1.5 dCi 106 but it kept giving me an error so I just gave up. + I heard that MPPS can brick an ECU just by trying to read it so I am not planning on trying it again...

I would like to thank everyone who helps me out in advance,
and also wish everyone a merry christmas and happy new year!

Best Regards,
MiK
judging from your questions i would suggest a kessv2 SLAVE to a well know company,,,see  top of page,,,then go from there

if u never done a remap before a master isnt the best route for you

i help who i want! when i want to! otherwise dont ask free stuff
72656d617020726f73732068656c707320616c6c20746861742068656c7073206d65
genuine winols check click here
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Remap Ross for this post
22-12-2018, 00:19 AM,
On this forum, always remember to click the thanks and REP buttons as more help can and will appear.

so my experience started back in 2002. I was part of a team hacking OBDII when the PCM only had 512K to play with.

I left in 2010 and returned 2015 to Bosch ECU's on the BMW.

My experience with the clones is about as you would expect from people trying to make a big buck in return on investment. What you put into it, you get out of it. Crap parts in, Crap results out. My clones have lasted from doing 25 units to 100 units. It just varies alot. i have all of them.

However I finally purchased the KTAG and KESS originals and several modules. No issues so far in 2 years.

I only hack the code with hex editors and my favorite is 010. Hex Workshop does ok, but it crashes on searches alot.

Always keep the power on an ECU consistent and above 12.5 if you can when programming on them. Some Delphi required 13.2 and above only to be in programming mode.

Hope that helps a little !
[+] 2 users say Thank You to BMWS1000RR for this post
22-12-2018, 00:34 AM,
(22-12-2018, 00:12 AM)Remap Ross Wrote:  judging from your questions i would suggest a kessv2 SLAVE to a well know company,,,see  top of page,,,then go from there

if u never done a remap before a master isnt the best route for you

You would be correct, I have never done a remap before.

Could you be kind enough to explain to me what's the difference between a SLAVE and MASTER is?

(22-12-2018, 00:19 AM)BMWS1000RR Wrote:  On this forum, always remember to click the thanks and REP buttons as more help can and will appear.

so my experience started back in 2002. I was part of a team hacking OBDII when the PCM only had 512K to play with.

I left in 2010 and returned 2015 to Bosch ECU's on the BMW.

My experience with the clones is about as you would expect from people trying to make a big buck in return on investment. What you put into it, you get out of it. Crap parts in, Crap results out. My clones have lasted from doing 25 units to 100 units. It just varies alot. i have all of them.

However I finally purchased the KTAG and KESS originals and several modules. No issues so far in 2 years.

I only hack the code with hex editors and my favorite is 010. Hex Workshop does ok, but it crashes on searches alot.

Always keep the power on an ECU consistent and above 12.5 if you can when programming on them. Some Delphi required 13.2 and above only to be in programming mode.

Hope that helps a little !

Yhea I have been doing that so far thanks for the tip tho.

About the Interfaces, I completly agree with your statement. However, just as probably most of the people, I don't want to make a big investment such as  500 - €1000 in something that I don't even have a clue if I am able to do it.
For now, I mainly want to try and mess around with my own car and test :P

By the way, does the ECU have a writing/read limit? What I mean by this is if I am able to read/write maps as many times as I want or will the ECU eventually break? (Take SSDs as example, they have a data writing limit)

Thanks in adnvace,
MiK
22-12-2018, 02:07 AM,
Depends on what brand of ECU you are working on or module if it has a program limit. BMW ECU is 99 on the EEPROM, but I have reset that somehow with Tool32 one time. Then the ABS module is is 50 on the bikes, and might be completely different on the cars.

There is a huge money investment if you want to really do it right and learn. I have over $50000 invested in just 3 years working on the BMW stuff. I dont expect huge returns however so it is just for my learning pleasure to know the Bosch ECU product line.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to BMWS1000RR for this post
22-12-2018, 02:40 AM,
"Could you be kind enough to explain to me what's the difference between a SLAVE and MASTER is?"

In a nutshell:

A (single user) master tool will read the data of the ecu in a not encoded format and you will be able to modify this data and write the modified data directly back to the ecu with the master tool.

A slave tool will allow you to read files in an encoded format from the ecu. The slave tool is asociated to a mastertool which can decode the encoded files so that they can be modified. After this the master tool converts this modified file once more into an encoded format and this encoded file then can be written back into the ecm by the asociated slave tool.

HTH

An expert is someone who knows each time mor on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely NOTHING.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to teuton for this post
22-12-2018, 12:18 PM,
(22-12-2018, 02:40 AM)teuton Wrote:  "Could you be kind enough to explain to me what's the difference between a SLAVE and MASTER is?"

In a nutshell:

A (single user) master tool will read the data of the ecu in a not encoded format and you will be able to modify this data and write the modified data directly back to the ecu with the master tool.

A slave tool will allow you to read  files in an encoded format from the ecu. The slave tool is asociated to a mastertool which can decode the encoded files so that they can be modified. After this the master tool converts this modified file once more into an encoded format and this encoded file then can be written back into the ecm by the asociated slave tool.

HTH
Thanks for your answer,

So from what I understand, if I have a SLAVE tool, I would be able to read the file, but in order to modify it I would need the MASTER tool that is associated with my slave, to decode it and then after all the modifications, I would need it to be encoded again so I can put it in the ECU?

That doesn't sound cool at all...
I would be always depending on the person that has the master tool of mine slave?

Thanks
22-12-2018, 15:55 PM,
Once you've read the ecu you'll have the encoded file. You send this to the owner of the related master and he will modify the file and send this modified file back to you in an encrypted format so you can write it back with your slave to the ecu.

With little/no experience how to modify maps you don't have to deal /worry about modifying ; instead you rely on an experienced tuner who will elaborate the file you need.

If you yourself want to learn how to modify you have to get education/training on this subject, HTH.

An expert is someone who knows each time mor on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely NOTHING.
22-12-2018, 20:34 PM,
(22-12-2018, 15:55 PM)teuton Wrote:  Once you've read the ecu you'll have the encoded file. You send this to the owner of the related master and he will modify the file and send this modified file back to you in an encrypted format so you can write it back with your slave to the ecu.

With little/no experience how to modify maps you don't have to deal /worry about modifying ; instead you rely on an experienced tuner who will elaborate the file you need.

If you yourself want to learn how to modify you have to get education/training on this subject, HTH.

Okay, so in other words, a slave tool will not be any use to me.

I want to learn to tune/edit a map and not get someone to do it for me, as there are plenty people out there that do that.

I would say that the training I need is mainly in how to use the programs (such as WinOLS, etc) and the tools (Galletto, Kess....).

Could you recommend a good place to get a Galletto v54 / Kess V2 EU Clone that can R/W without me depending on someone else?

Thanks in advance,
MiK

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the difference of Kess V2 Green PCB vs Kess V2 Red PCB, and what's the best one?

Cheers,
23-12-2018, 06:03 AM,
IF you got the engineering knockledge and background of the working principles and relationships of internal combustion engine than you got a good foundation to start with chiptuning, otherwise it will take something more than just learning the software and tools to use....

Not sure if it is allowed to give the recommendations you're asking for right here in the forum. You might want to pm me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Passat B5 1.9tdi MSA15 starting solution need Mate 6 302 28-02-2024, 19:37 PM
Last Post: Elijah
  renault clio 4 starting problem klisenko 0 104 28-02-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: klisenko
HVolvo Volvo S60 2.4 2006 Cold engine starting problem mariux0510 5 333 21-02-2024, 20:39 PM
Last Post: mariux0510
  sid307 not starting BoNzO 1 222 23-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: CenturionM
00Windows NEED ORI FILE TUNNING FOR HYUNDAI I10 mohcin2 1 1,506 19-05-2023, 20:25 PM
Last Post: gkogkolos
  ford transit starting issue moriaz 2 613 05-01-2023, 15:01 PM
Last Post: moriaz
  Solved ✔ Golf 5 BXE tunning 1.9 tdi 3inferno3 3 825 03-12-2022, 14:46 PM
Last Post: 3inferno3
  Hyundai H1 2.5 TDI 170 PS not starting JCAsystems 3 4,917 25-06-2022, 15:56 PM
Last Post: bogdanwmw
  Ford ranger Sid208 tunning shanektm450 1 283 09-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: dragos95arp
ZTAudi audi a6 2.7TDI not starting sonny21 5 745 04-05-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: power01