Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW DME - How to directly edit VIN in a Bin file? WinkFP Failing...
03-02-2019, 21:53 PM,
XZBMW  BMW DME - How to directly edit VIN in a Bin file? WinkFP Failing...
I'm looking for a way to directly edit the VIN in a bin file so that I can then flash the corrected bin to my DME using JMGarageFlasher. 

Why not just use WinkFP to update the VIN like everybody else, you ask? 

Well, every time I try to use WinkFP to update my software, I enter my VIN, it shows the version upgrading from and to, etc., I start the upgrade and then I get:

Error 211:
Error on flash programming!
ECU does not answer IFH-0009: No response from controlunit: 11MDS43

When this occurs, my DME is bricked, and I have to reflash using JMGarageFlasher to recover. This happened the very first time I tried to update with WinkFP, and I thought I did something in the process to cause it. Turns out it happens every time I try to update with WinkFP. 

Yes, the key is in the ignition position 2, I have COM latency set to 1, and I increased read and write timeouts to 1000. I have two different cables and same result every time with both. Not sure what could be the cause, but other than ordering another cable 'hoping' that is the problem, I'm looking for a way to possibly brute force the correct values into the bin file. 

The car is a 2002 E53 3.0 with MS43 DME.

I'm running now with a v56 EWS delete image but it has the wrong VIN and is for the wrong car, and since I'm in CA I doubt I'll get through Smog with the wrong VIN in my ECU. 

I found a v55 Bin for the e53 3.0 online, but can't run it as it is not EWS delete. I could try to do an EWS delete on that bin, but will still need to program the VIN to get through smog no matter what. 

The DME is original to the car, with factory label, but unfortunately I don't have an original BIN image for the car. 

So the only clear way out that I know would work is to direct edit a good bin and flash the whole image via boot mode. 

I've looked at the BIN with Tunerpro but don't see a way of setting the VIN. 

Any help appreciated...  tears Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2019, 00:49 AM,
RE: BMW DME - How to directly edit VIN in a Bin file? WinkFP Failing...
did you try changing the options in Kfp ? I presume you using kdcan cable usualy have to disable fastbaudrate...
[+] 1 user says Thank You to rs@chip for this post
04-02-2019, 00:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 00:52 AM by Enabled.)
Start by posting your file?

Also, you ABSOLUTELY need to have the appropriate e53 calibration flash in your dme, or else you will have a very hard time with equipment and emissions.
The ews delete file has a 330i euro partial flash.

Do you specifically need it to be EWS delete?

(04-02-2019, 00:49 AM)rs@chip Wrote:  did you try changing the options in Kfp ? I presume you using kdcan cable usualy have to disable fastbaudrate...

This is correct. Fast baudrate is only for MS45 and newer.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Enabled for this post
04-02-2019, 01:11 AM,
(04-02-2019, 00:49 AM)rs@chip Wrote:  did you try changing the options in Kfp ? I presume you using kdcan cable usualy have to disable fastbaudrate...

Thanks for the tip, fast baudrate was ON, I will try it without.  I am using a kdcan cable.

I also noticed that the Boot Sector Update option was ON.  That seems like something that could cause the DME to brick if it fails.  

I found a note on Bimmerlabs help about how to turn off the boot sector update in the .ini file.  So I'm going to make both changes and give it another run.  Will let you know.  Thanks!
04-02-2019, 01:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 01:20 AM by Enabled.)
It was definitely your fastbaudrate setting causing issues.
It has to do with the communication protocol that the DME 'understands', and MS43 doesn't understand that.

Boot sector update would not affect this dme, because the 0pa nor the 0da have any data to be written into addresses of boot sector of ms43.
04-02-2019, 01:25 AM,
(04-02-2019, 00:51 AM)Enabled Wrote:  Start by posting your file?

Also, you ABSOLUTELY need to have the appropriate e53 calibration flash in your dme, or else you will have a very hard time with equipment and emissions.
The ews delete file has a 330i euro partial flash.

Do you specifically need it to be EWS delete?

No, I don't need the EWS delete, only using it right now because I can't run the car without it.  I do have a v55 original X5 bin file that I got from here -

http://www.chip-tuner.hu/original_ecu_files/files/BMW/

...but I have not used it yet because I can't set the vin.  I've used three different bin files and have the same error every time with attempting upgrade via winkfp.  I've tried v60 and v66 sp-daten files.  

I'm giving it another run after changing these parameters in winkfp.  Will report back here.  Thanks!

(04-02-2019, 01:18 AM)Enabled Wrote:  It was definitely your fastbaudrate setting causing issues.
It has to do with the communication protocol that the DME 'understands', and MS43 doesn't understand that.

Boot sector update would not affect this dme, because the 0pa nor the 0da have any data to be written into addresses of boot sector of ms43.

Dude, you are a lifesaver!  Update is now actually proceeding.  Been obsessed trying to get this figured out the last 2 days.   I'm getting a second DME, exact same part number that I will use for tuning, etc.  Will have one stock and one to play with.  Very quick to swap them.

Can't thank you enough!    clapping

Thanks man!  You were right on the money.  Couldn't find this information anywhere.  Hopefully this thread will help someone else out down the road.  

You nailed it!   clapping

Well, unfortunately after the successful update and writing from winkfp, the car went back to being immobilized.  Cranks but won't start, etc.  I tried clearing adaptations in INPA but no change.  

I'm guessing it may be because I updated a non e53 ews delete image with an E53 software version update.  I'm going to try it with the original E53 image as the starting point and then try to update from there to set the VIN and upgrade. 

If you have any other tips or ideas let me know, I'll report back on what happens.
04-02-2019, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 02:28 AM by Enabled.)
What errors do you have?

There are 2 times where you have to click yes to "This ecu can be updated xx times" since it has to update the programming section and the flash.

Reset rolling codes in ews: go to inpa, e53, engine, ms43, Shift+F6, then F2 to reset starting value.

Also, the files from chiptuner.hu are mostly for euro cars. You're in California, you should use the US files (they have lots of differences) if you want readiness to be as before.
04-02-2019, 03:33 AM,
(04-02-2019, 02:26 AM)Enabled Wrote:  What errors do you have?

There are 2 times where you have to click yes to "This ecu can be updated xx times" since it has to update the programming section and the flash.

Reset rolling codes in ews: go to inpa, e53, engine, ms43, Shift+F6, then F2 to reset starting value.

Also, the files from chiptuner.hu are mostly for euro cars. You're in California, you should use the US files (they have lots of differences) if you want readiness to be as before.
I'll have to try and get ahold of US files but trying to get the coding right for now.  I'd expect I'll have the same sync problem though with US image coding.

I did notice and execute the two steps in winkfp, first to update the software and then the UIF.  

I tried F1 to sync the values in INPA and get - "In der DME ist bereits ein Startwert gespeichert"

When trying F2 to reset the starting value I get - "Keine Startwert-Initialisierung im aktuellen Fahrzyklus durchgefuehrt"

Also in stored errors I see

209 EWS-Code

"Startwert nicht akzptiert/Zufallszahl nicht geaendert"

A follow up would be, is there anything else I need to set correctly in the winkfp update other than the VIN?  I notice that the production date is no longer accurate, not sure if that value matters.

When I go into INPA fresh and go directly to the EWS reset by clicking on F2 - I get the message"

"Startwert verstanden, EWS und DME passen nicht zusammen"

Meaning that the starting value is understood but the EWS and DME don't match.  

I don't understand if it's saying the values for both don't match or it thinks that the DME and EWS themselves don't match.  They definitely are the same that came with the car and worked prior to the DME getting bricked...
04-02-2019, 05:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 05:20 AM by rs@chip.)
(04-02-2019, 03:33 AM)bauerkraut Wrote:  
(04-02-2019, 02:26 AM)Enabled Wrote:  What errors do you have?

I'll have to try and get ahold of US files but trying to get the coding right for now.  I'd expect I'll have the same sync problem though with US image coding.

I did notice and execute the two steps in winkfp, first to update the software and then the UIF.  

I tried F1 to sync the values in INPA and get - "In der DME ist bereits ein Startwert gespeichert"

When trying F2 to reset the starting value I get - "Keine Startwert-Initialisierung im aktuellen Fahrzyklus durchgefuehrt"

Also in stored errors I see

209 EWS-Code

"Startwert nicht akzptiert/Zufallszahl nicht geaendert"

A follow up would be, is there anything else I need to set correctly in the winkfp update other than the VIN?  I notice that the production date is no longer accurate, not sure if that value matters.

When I go into INPA fresh and go directly to the EWS reset by clicking on F2 - I get the message"

"Startwert verstanden, EWS und DME passen nicht zusammen"

Meaning that the starting value is understood but the EWS and DME don't match.  

I don't understand if it's saying the values for both don't match or it thinks that the DME and EWS themselves don't match.  They definitely are the same that came with the car and worked prior to the DME getting bricked...

I am glad it help you.. for isn part yust make aligment prosedure ews-dme if you have matching modules ofcourse, otherwise make ews off will be more simple for you than changing isn
[+] 1 user says Thank You to rs@chip for this post
04-02-2019, 05:41 AM,
(04-02-2019, 05:16 AM)rs@chip Wrote:  I am glad it help you.. for isn part yust make aligment prosedure ews-dme if you have matching modules ofcourse, otherwise make ews off will be more simple for you than changing isn

Yes, it definitely got me closer, I've been learning a lot but not because I wanted to  crying

So the question is, how can I read the ISN and then be able to set it again?  The attempt to align through INPA is where it is telling me that the EWS and DME don't match...  They are matching modules that are original to the car.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota ori file ltujustas 2 52 Today, 00:26 AM
Last Post: yudon
  need original file w176 loki954 2 51 Yesterday, 16:07 PM
Last Post: loki954
ZVW Request: How to write to tuned EDC17CP20 only TprotOff file via Kess to OBD Zamperl 2 92 20-04-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Zamperl
ZVW VAG DCM6.2 fix after wrong flash file ELMEPRO 10 451 19-04-2024, 16:48 PM
Last Post: MahoJohn
WHyundai looking for ori file for 2016 veloster Sdiegoh 0 34 18-04-2024, 21:12 PM
Last Post: Sdiegoh
ORenult Renault Scenic 2 1.6 need file chris007 0 31 18-04-2024, 19:37 PM
Last Post: chris007
  NEED ORIGINAL FILE NISSAN CABSTAR tigre 0 25 18-04-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: tigre
  BMW 330i 231 HP MS 43 original file carmageddon1970 3 98 17-04-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: carmageddon1970
  HELLO NEED HELO ORI FILE MAN TGS 440 DPF OFF ADBLUE OFF JAREK2001 1 47 15-04-2024, 20:41 PM
Last Post: wajda3
  Mercedes classe A file check nitroscry 1 94 14-04-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: nitroscry