Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

COMBOX Retrofit and BMW Live
04-06-2019, 11:47 AM,
XZBMW  COMBOX Retrofit and BMW Live
After going through multiple documentations and forum discussions I am asking here to get some direction on Combox retrofit on my E90 LCI.

I already have 6FL with MULF2HI SVS, and recently used intel123 solution to sign FSC for Navigation, Voice Command and BMW Apps, both voice command and Navigation are working as expected (CIC firmware is CICC1A)

I read a mixed review for “BMW live” post retrofit, as some of the recent ones mentioning that it has stopped working (as recent as March 2019). The VIN change method (updating BMW live working VIN as Combox VIN to enable “BMW live” seems to have stopped working due to changes made by BMW). All I am looking at is using Bluetooth tethering services to enable BMW Live. 

Please note that I get utterly confused about BMW Apps vs. BMW live vs. Connected Drive, but I guess all these services as dependent on having a working VIN encoded onto Combox. Is this still a possibility or should I live only with Bluetooth Audio, Video Play and Web Radio post retrofit. 

Also, if anyone has a documentation on how to change vin in Combox, could you please redirect me. Will WinKFP help me achieve this over K+DCAN?
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2019, 07:41 AM,
RE: COMBOX Retrofit and BMW Live
Open attacment file to NCS expert ( first change to .txt - .ssd ) condding combox 
& try to internet or live ....

Attached Files
combox_internet vin.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 106 times
Size: 243 bytes

10-06-2019, 13:58 PM,
So, can we have internet on CIC? My car(BMW F20), has a factory fitted combox with BMW Connected, BMW Live, BMW Apps and internet. But...in my country says that internet is unavailable.
10-06-2019, 15:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2019, 16:04 PM by youbarajs.)
(10-06-2019, 07:41 AM)my_assassin Wrote:  Open attacment file to NCS expert ( first change to .txt - .ssd ) condding combox 
& try to internet or live ....

Ok so if Iget you well here is what I need to do

Load Revtor's Profile
Press F1
Press F5
Select the .ssd given by you
Press F6 (back)
Press F4 and select Media (select ok)
Press F3 (execute job)

(10-06-2019, 13:58 PM)Alexandru.k_24 Wrote:  So, can we have internet on CIC? My car(BMW F20), has a factory fitted combox with BMW Connected, BMW Live, BMW Apps and internet. But...in my country says that internet is unavailable.

Yes it is (rather was) possible through something called "Magic VIN" (also called Russian VIN method). You technically fool the system to believe that you are using Internet through a VIN which is authorized. Beginning of 2018, BMW seems to have updated the process, it is reported now working anymore by few users.

https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.p...615&page=3 
https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=34393
25-06-2019, 12:28 PM,
So its confirmed that BMW Live and Internet is not working anymore on CIC units, despite of all effort to enable magic VIN, FSC import etc., I am continuously getting "bad request" error on the screen.

My MULF2HISVS fried and I got a super discounted deal on Ali Express on COMBOX module (now I realize why), so technically I am not at any loss, but if you are planning to retrofit, please skip it.

Furthermore I was much happier with MULF2HISVS with the "Bovee WMA3000B Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface", as it was doing pretty much same stuff compared to combox, minus few of the stuffs mentioned below.

Rest of the minor improved functionalities are here, none of which is worth the pain (and $) of Retrofit

1) Album art - only when you connect with USB interface, album art is not available over Bluetooth media
2) BMW Apps - the only good app i found for Iphone X is the calendar sync, at least system can read whats on you schedule. Rest of the apps are pathetic, again you need to connect via USB to enable these features.
3) Web Radios - kinda ok, at least some news from my local home channel, but you can get same feature pretty much with any mobile web radio app.
4) News - after much trail and error, I have set up my own feed, so at times in Manila traffic, i can have some latest updates on the CIC screen.
5) Last Mile - well its suppose to tell you the last destination and parked location, comes handy at times, but honestly waze does much better job than this.
6) Few metric on the welcome screen of BMW connected, its helpful, like gasoline level etc.

On the other side few of the "pain in the a$%" stuffs are
1) Well it seems that you are connected via USB, and the music is playing, but then the "Last Mile" function doesn't work as expected, it somehow doesnot update, you need to plug it again and wait for few seconds to see "connected" status on the BMW Connected app, for it to work
2) Album art doesn't refresh, you need to remove the USB and connect it again, I am now facing this much frequent
3) If you connect via USB, bluetooth audio disconnects automatically,in this regard my "Bovee adapter" did a much better job
4) Music doesn't play automatically post you dial a number/receive a call, you have to hit the media button on iDrive, then only it starts.

I wanted to jot down my experience, just in case it helps someone!!
26-06-2019, 14:24 PM,
What about reading Text Message? Now i only get information thati have new messege. I would like to read it on the screen?
27-06-2019, 10:30 AM,
(26-06-2019, 14:24 PM)Jack79 Wrote:  What about reading Text Message? Now i only get information thati have new messege. I would like to read it on the screen?

No Text messages for me (neither new nor existing messages), on ios 12.3.1 Iphone X, even to the extent that there is no support for Emails, only thing that syncs well is the calendar using the BMW Apps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  G82 rear tail lights CSL retrofit Sauron 7 554 1 hour ago
Last Post: SANYA
  Kafas issue aftrer ACC Retrofit It3_Magic 12 293 Yesterday, 15:07 PM
Last Post: user_530d
XZBMW Neck warmer retrofit Just2fast5 5 314 Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Spirit5676
  ID4 evo to ID6 Evo full retrofit, ATM issues 03178A mitch32 1 132 15-04-2024, 17:52 PM
Last Post: mitch32
  Bmw G31 retrofit Mgu id7 atm problem intranet 19 2,201 15-04-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: evaldazj
XZBMW BMW E84 Cruise control retrofit not workig Alyn546 4 195 12-04-2024, 14:23 PM
Last Post: DieStream
XZBMW BMW Road Map Europe MGU Live 2023-3 atomantmk 9 833 12-04-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: hansolo
  F10 FLA retrofit beng2k 30 978 11-04-2024, 18:43 PM
Last Post: beng2k
  Making F-series combox work in e-series Ryn079 5 598 11-04-2024, 15:03 PM
Last Post: wrp_199
XZBMW BMW f20 KOMBI2 retrofit bm92 15 432 10-04-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: bm92