Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Solved ✔ Active steering fault E61 2004 - HELP
07-09-2019, 14:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-09-2019, 19:11 PM by Clusters.)
Active steering fault E61 2004 - HELP
Hello, been dealing with this issue for one year. Maybe someone has idea or answer for my problem.
Bought 2004 E61 530d with active steering. The fault was active when bought.
Quick vehicle test and the problem was AFS module.
Fault codes:
613D AL: Lock: electrical fault
4447 Message (torque active steering, 0xB9) defective, receiver DDE, transmitter active steering
9501 SZL: Steering-angle-sensor adjustment
9504 SZL: Control-unit fault

Test module suggest to check connector and resistance. If ok, replace AFS module. I took the passenger seat out and checked for corrosion. Nothing found, ohms ok. But the AFS module was for older models. (Bosch - 1 277 022 048) I bought from Ebay a used one (Bosch - 1 277 022 056). Changed the module, matched VIN with the car and re-coded default. After deleting fault memory, these codes remained:
614A AL: Motor position angle not initialised
4447 Message (torque active steering, 0xB9) defective, receiver DDE, transmitter active steering

Then I tried to Start-Up Active steering
1. Resetting the motor position angle was successful!
2. Adjustment of the steering angle sensor was successful.
3. The cumulative steering angle sensor was ~8 degrees when steering wheel straight, steering wheel was a little to the right when cumulative was 0 degrees.
3.1 I was moving the wheel left and right approx 10 degrees steering wheel angle.
3.2 Active Steering start-up/adjustment failed and is repeated.
I tried this 4 times but still same result. Okay, deleted faults again
614A AL: Motor position angle not initialised - remained
Tried to Start-Up again - still nothing.

After a day or two, I rechecked faults
CE99 Message (steering wheel angle, 0x0C8) faulty, receiver active steering, transmitter SZL

Seems like a SZL problem, test module says to reprogram and recode - if it doesn't help - change SZL.
So I did like told and the control-unit fault was back. Bought a used one form Ebay yet again, programmed to match vin and coded. Tried Start-Up again but still a fail. After a day or two, the SZL control unit fault still comes up.

Months went by, I checked the wiring from AFS to steering gear. All good. But the gear itself had a excessive play. It also seemed that the steering gear had been taken apart. Okay. Bought refurbished steering gear. Changed it. Tried to Start-Up - Failed yet again. I just don't understand what the f is wrong. It also seems weird that the cumulative steering angle sensor was still ~8 degrees when steering wheel straight after changing the steering gear.

My friend has the same settings, so I tried his AFS module - Fail. He tried with my AFS module in his car - success.
I bought another used SZL module - matched vin, reprogrammed and coded. Still the SZL control unit fault is showing up.

To this day, the faults are following.
CE99 Message (steering wheel angle, 0x0C8) faulty, receiver active steering, transmitter SZL

I also added attachment of current other faults. What am I missing? Is the SGM module kaput? I've changed AFS module, SZL module twice, checked wiring between AFS and steering gear, tried friends AFS module, replaced steering gear and still nothing. Only thing is, why the SZL is showing control-unit fault. When my friends E60 AFS was not started up, he too had CE99 Message (steering wheel angle, 0x0C8) faulty, receiver active steering, transmitter SZL fault, but no SZL control-unit fault.
Please help - desperate. tears
If you'll need full fault list from earlier times - no problem. Maybe something was left between the eye.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-09-2019, 06:29 AM,
RE: Active steering fault E61 2004 - HELP
(07-09-2019, 14:25 PM)Volum Wrote:  Hello, been dealing with this issue for one year. Maybe someone has idea or answer for my problem.
Fault codes:

Test module suggest to check connector and resistance. If ok, replace AFS module. I took the passenger seat out and checked for corrosion. Nothing found, ohms ok. But the AFS module was for older models. (Bosch - 1 277 022 048) I bought from Ebay a used one (Bosch - 1 277 022 056). Changed the module, matched VIN with the car and re-coded default. After deleting fault memory, these codes remained:

3. The cumulative steering angle sensor was ~8 degrees when steering wheel straight, steering wheel was a little to the right when cumulative was 0 degrees.
3.1 I was moving the wheel left and right approx 10 degrees steering wheel angle.

Seems like a SZL problem, test module says to reprogram and recode - if it doesn't help - change SZL.
So I did like told and the control-unit fault was back. Bought a used one form Ebay yet again, programmed to match vin and coded. Tried Start-Up again but still a fail. After a day or two, the SZL control unit fault still comes up.

Months went by, I checked the wiring from AFS to steering gear. All good. But the gear itself had a excessive play. It also seemed that the steering gear had been taken apart. Okay. Bought refurbished steering gear. Changed it. Tried to Start-Up - Failed yet again. I just don't understand what the f is wrong. It also seems weird that the cumulative steering angle sensor was still ~8 degrees when steering wheel straight after changing the steering gear.

My friend has the same settings, so I tried his AFS module - Fail. He tried with my AFS module in his car - success.
I bought another used SZL module - matched vin, reprogrammed and coded. Still the SZL control unit fault is showing up.

I also added attachment of current other faults. What am I missing? Is the SGM module kaput? I've changed AFS module, SZL module twice, checked wiring between AFS and steering gear, tried friends AFS module, replaced steering gear and still nothing. Only thing is, why the SZL is showing control-unit fault. When my friends E60 AFS was not started up, he too had CE99 Message (steering wheel angle, 0x0C8) faulty, receiver active steering, transmitter SZL fault, but no SZL control-unit fault.
If you'll need full fault list from earlier times - no problem. Maybe something was left between the eye.

Try to start-up AS one more time. I try maybe 30 times moving steringwheel left-right before it succed.

If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep yes yes yes under under under
08-09-2019, 21:18 PM,
I've tried at least 100 times, no success...
09-09-2019, 06:14 AM,
When you say you replaced steering gear, do you mean whole steering rack? Disconnect all plugs to steering rack, delete errors and rescan. Report if you still see SZL control unit fault with steering rack disconnected.
09-09-2019, 06:55 AM,
XZBMW  RE: Active steering fault E61 2004 - HELP
(07-09-2019, 14:25 PM)Volum Wrote:  Hello, been dealing with this issue for one year. Maybe someone has idea or answer for my problem.
Fault codes:

1. Check the hardware number of SZL module, and need to be equipped with AFS item number.
2. Replace the used AFS module . After programming, the coding needs to pay attention!
    NCS Expertentool coding , load file --- " Expert MAN "
09-09-2019, 14:33 PM,
problem with AFS if these errors are present:

"613D AL: Lock: electrical fault
4447 Message (torque active steering, 0xB9) defective, receiver DDE, transmitter active steering"

Try to open AFS module and check if there is water inside. Otherwise you can code car from $217 to $216 if there is problem in steering
09-09-2019, 18:14 PM,
(09-09-2019, 06:14 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  When you say you replaced steering gear, do you mean whole steering rack? Disconnect all plugs to steering rack, delete errors and rescan. Report if you still see SZL control unit fault with steering rack disconnected.

Yes, the whole steering rack has been replaced. I can try to disconnect all the plugs.
(09-09-2019, 06:55 AM)Brown Benz Wrote:  1. Check the hardware number of SZL module, and need to be equipped with AFS item number.
2. Replace the used AFS module . After programming, the coding needs to pay attention!
    NCS Expertentool coding , load file --- " Expert MAN "
1. SZL and AFS is correct
2. What's the point for replacing the module? I've already tried another module that worked and also my module that was used by another E60 that also worked.

(09-09-2019, 14:33 PM)myztic Wrote:  problem with AFS if these errors are present:

"613D AL: Lock: electrical fault
4447 Message (torque active steering, 0xB9) defective, receiver DDE, transmitter active steering"

Try to open AFS module and check if there is water inside. Otherwise you can code car from $217 to $216 if there is problem in steering
The AFS module is not the issue. These faults are not active anymore.
13-09-2019, 21:31 PM,
Update:
Tried another SGM module (programmed and coded) - Still no luck
Is there possibility that DSC sensors are messing with F-CAN communication between SZL and AFS?
And one more question - What is Driver's steering angle (speed)? Both of them are always 0.
Look in attachment.

14-09-2019, 00:06 AM,
Most of the time, the outgoing cables are damaged, from the body to the wheel passage right side.
If you don't have "rotor position" then the cable or it selves the rotor position sensor defect.

Vojnó
Press Thanks and reputation under if this post helped you. 
14-09-2019, 05:26 AM,
You mean nr 1 in attachment? If yes, should the status of the rotor position be always "valid" despite being not calibrated? I ask the same question about the driver's steering angle (speed) too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disable active steering e91 xMoses 0 31 8 hours ago
Last Post: xMoses
  DDE509 Internal fault 7 code 4703 GoNz0- 0 67 14-04-2024, 14:42 PM
Last Post: GoNz0-
XZBMW BMW X1 E84 active front steering ajpds 2 923 27-03-2024, 22:04 PM
Last Post: johann74270
XZBMW Bmw F10 key works only on steering column Ring Aerial Zuraczu 1 114 27-03-2024, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Matthew53
  G30 LCI Headlights retrofit: High Beam Laser light locking active tcp443 19 3,508 26-03-2024, 21:25 PM
Last Post: Satia
XZBMW M3 F80 LCI Airbag fault Stefan1251 8 374 25-03-2024, 00:18 AM
Last Post: armenh7
  Problem Retrofit electrified steering column on the G31 LCI smercki 12 485 22-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW bmw fault code46d1 wassim 4 228 09-03-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: wassim
  E60 disable active steering BimmerSLO 4 421 05-03-2024, 19:32 PM
Last Post: BimmerSLO
  Code out active steering xMoses 1 188 29-02-2024, 01:21 AM
Last Post: BimmerSLO