Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

EGR and DPF Off advantages / disadvantages
02-02-2022, 21:30 PM,
XZBMW  EGR and DPF Off advantages / disadvantages
Hello CT Members,

what are the advantages and disadvantages of EGR & DPF Off?
You always hear about intake manifold problems with EGR. 
The DPF will eventually become unusable and costs a lot of money. 
Have you guys had it programmed off?
In an older Ista version you could increase the fresh air rate, is this useful or would you rather have it completely off?

Greetings

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Jay_86 for this post
02-02-2022, 21:37 PM,
RE: EGR and DPF Off advantages / disadvantages
EGR off is benefit for a few reasons.
1) engine is more efficient without egr
2) engine makes less soot without egr
3) intake manifold doesn’t gum up as quickly without egr
4) swirl flaps don’t break as quickly when intake manifold isn’t gummed up

Dpf off is just a pain for customers now mot inspections etc are becoming more strict. To me unless you are making a big power car with custom turbo setup keep dpf. Dpf will last for a long time when egr is not filling with soot as quickly as long as no other hardware error like boost leaks.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to m1ke for this post
02-02-2022, 23:22 PM,
on the other hand when egr is removed . exhaust gas temperatures rise about 100c , but benefits are much greater without it, just like m1ke described, i don't know where hes from but at least here in finland they dont have means to check if dpf is removed in inspection.. i have removed physically egr and "throttle body" from my 535d when upgraded turbos and charge-air hoses and intercooler to 3", now runs from turbos to intake manifold straight 3" without any chokepoints, also removed breather hose from fresh air intake and to the ground, 10tkm driven and not a single drop of sooth in intake manifold or charge air hoses..
[+] 2 users say Thank You to karpiaavi for this post
03-02-2022, 08:51 AM,
First of all, thanks for the info.

If the EGR is programmed completely off, will this be noticed during the vehicle check because of the exhaust gas values?
With the temperatures I have already thought that they will be higher, should actually not be so bad if no other components are broken by the higher temperature.
Is it a big effort to program or should I rather have it done because maybe several values need to be adjusted?
At the DPF I currently have an oil ash mass of 28.87g
The regeneration takes place approximately every 350 - 600km

03-02-2022, 10:32 AM,
(03-02-2022, 08:51 AM)Jay_86 Wrote:  First of all, thanks for the info.

If the EGR is programmed completely off, will this be noticed during the vehicle check because of the exhaust gas values?
With the temperatures I have already thought that they will be higher, should actually not be so bad if no other components are broken by the higher temperature.
Is it a big effort to program or should I rather have it done because maybe several values need to be adjusted?

hi..U should be know that EGR system cooling DPF during regeneration process
[+] 2 users say Thank You to gpdriver for this post
03-02-2022, 10:52 AM,
no disadvantage for the car, the engine will be better without them. The only disadvantage is for the environment and questionably, because we all know where the waste is going after cleaning it in the shop. The only advantage is for the shop smile $$$$....but that is my opinion .....

No help for people not give a feedback
[+] 3 users say Thank You to loki954 for this post
03-02-2022, 13:55 PM,
One advantage when EGR is functional is that engine warms a bit faster. Good, specially in winter.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to jaki for this post
05-02-2022, 12:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 12:08 PM by m1ke.)
(03-02-2022, 10:32 AM)gpdriver Wrote:  

hi..U should be know that EGR system cooling DPF during regeneration process
Every BMW E&F series I ever logged used no regeneration in DPF process... G series with LP egr maybe - but only for short time...

(02-02-2022, 23:22 PM)karpiaavi Wrote:  on the other hand when egr is removed . exhaust gas temperatures rise about 100c , but benefits are much greater without it, just like m1ke described, i don't know where hes from but at least here in finland they dont have means to check if dpf is removed in inspection.. i have removed physically egr and "throttle body" from my 535d when upgraded turbos and charge-air hoses and intercooler to 3", now runs from turbos to intake manifold straight 3" without any chokepoints, also removed breather hose from fresh air intake and to the ground, 10tkm driven and not a single drop of sooth in intake manifold or charge air hoses..

I'm from the UK. It depends which car, obviouslly there are ways to remove dpf without it being noticed in a check but many people are just bolting on straight pipe which is very obvious...

Where are you from? 

If Germany then you need a good tuner who will make sure readiness checks for EGR set correctly..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ilean advantages over ista offline standalone bmwlover 2 487 28-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Node