Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

ICOM Next How to Hardware reset (correct bin file ?)
08-01-2023, 04:56 AM,
XZBMW  ICOM Next How to Hardware reset (correct bin file ?)
hi all

i want to Reset to Factory totaly an ICOM Next and put the last firmware version who is the 04-22-21

can you tell if those steps will Reset totaly to Factory the ICOM Next ? (original version from BMW):

Can you tell me where i can found the last .bin file i have to put on the USB stick ? can i put directly the 04-22-21 ? (i dont see a bin file in 04-22-21...)
inside the last firmware (inside the files ICOM_Next-app-012213.tar or ICOM_Next-rootfs-012210.tar) i found this .bin file "sf2-00.05.21-00.15.bin" is this one who i have to put inside the USB stick to do the Factory Reset ?

the steps

1. Disconnect the ICOM network cable

2. Disconnect the ICOM OBD II jack of the vehicle,

3. Copy the file "icom_restore.bin" on the USB stick

4: Connect the USB stick to ICOM

These next steps must be performed within a maximum of 5 seconds, otherwise the update process will not work.

5: Press and hold down the reset button

6: insert the ODB lead.

7. release reset button and then press the ICOM reset button 3 times and release: the LED will now flash and the icom will start to load the firmware from the USB.
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2023, 14:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 15:14 PM by CATAHA.)
RE: ICOM Next How to Hardware reset (correct bin file ?)
Don't forget about this files

1)Create file name "user.settings"

2)Edit file "user.settings" with Notepad++/Notepad
ConnectionMode = STATIC_IP
Ip = 192.168.68.85
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.68.99

3)Copy "user.settings" to Restore USB along with "ICOM_Restore_FILE"

If any of my posts or current one helps then don't forget to press thanks and add a reputation thankyou
Visit this user's website
[+] 1 user says Thank You to CATAHA for this post
08-01-2023, 14:54 PM,
This is a tip on how to turn the original next into a brick
08-01-2023, 15:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 15:13 PM by Node.)
There is NO bin file for Next. If your ICOM works (at least responds on the network), then THERE IS NO POINT to do factory reset!!! Just do NORMAL firmware upgrade using ISTA (or it's web page if you like wasting time).

The ONLY reason to perform emergency firmware restore on Next is when ALL its LEDs remain RED for MORE than 10 minutes after power is supplied to it. And the results is more or less THE SAME as update using other means.

In such a case you can do the following:
1. ALL of the following prerequisites MUST be satisfied:
1.1. You require a USB 2 or 3 flash drive. (USB 1.x flash drives are not supported).
1.2. The USB flash drive must be formatted with a FAT32 file system.
1.3. A minimum of 60 MByte free space is required on the USB flash drive.

2. Prepare ICOM next restore image:
2.1. Copy ICOM_Next-rootfs-xxxxxx.tar.gz AND ICOM_Next-app-xxxxxx.tar.gz to the root directory of the USB flash drive. (These can be found in C:\ProgramData\BMW\ISPI\data\TRIC\ICOMNext\ICOM-Image-xx-xx-xx after ICOM Next firmware package is installed).
2.2. Disconnect the ICOM Next from the power supply.
2.3. Plug the USB flash drive into the ICOM NEXT.

3. Perform following procedure with ICOM NEXT:
3.1. Press and hold the button pressed on the ICOM Next and connect the ICOM NEXT to the power (i.e. OBD II jack of a vehicle). The ICOM NEXT starts with all LEDs glowing red. The LEDs stay red; some may flicker orange/yellow.
3.2. Keep the button pressed. After about 4 seconds, all LEDs turn orange/yellow and glow in the same colour.
3.3. Release the button and then press it three times within five seconds. The LEDs glow or flash red and orange/yellow again.
3.4. Wait: This procedure may take several minutes. Do not disconnect the ICOM NEXT as long as ANY LED glows red.

4. After about 5 minutes the SYSTEM LED turns green again. The ICOM NEXT has been updated and is ready for use.

Notes:
A. The "restore.log" file is created in the root folder of the USB stick.
B. All previous settings are lost during the update. If there is a "user.settings" file on the USB flash drive, it will be applied after the firmware update.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Node for this post
08-01-2023, 15:32 PM,
ICOM Next have two buttons: first one near DB socket behind a plastic cover and secod one next to USB socket. Which is what for ?
08-01-2023, 16:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2023, 07:18 AM by Node.)
Frankly I don't remember neither where I found that procedure nor which button it was. But I think I had to do it once (though quite long time ago) and only one of buttons has the effect described in item 3.1. IMHO that's an easiest way to find out which one it is.
08-01-2023, 18:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 18:03 PM by 2013m5.)
The iCOM Next factory reset next to USB port.

[+] 2 users say Thank You to 2013m5 for this post
09-01-2023, 07:16 AM,
What is the second button with the yellow light for?
18-01-2023, 03:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2023, 05:31 AM by Clusters.)
thank you Node !

sorry for the late answer i get some familly issue.

For the step 2.1:
i can take i gess the last version who is the 04-22-21 even if i use ista 4.29 correct ? (i was waiting maybe a new firmware will appear with ista 4.40... but no idea if it will be).

Look like some people complain about the firmware last 04-22-21 who come with ista 4.39.2, like the icom next it not working with E-sys...

For the "Notes, B":
If there is No "user.settings" file on the USB flash drive what will happen ? (i want a deep Reset factory).
This Factory reset will not make like an Factory settings who will be the best to use ? Or the ICOM Next will not work if we dont make an new manual settings ?

What will be the Best Settings to set in the ICOM Next ? (i have no wifi or any network in the basment of my bulding a shared parking, then im using the yellow ethernet wire. i dont think i can set the ICOM Next by wifi without an router correct ?)

Thank you again Node this will help many people smile

2013m5:

you sure is this one ? i mean maybe this one is for the chineese clone version ? because i see a video where they push on the big white Square button.
18-01-2023, 08:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2023, 08:08 AM by Node.)
(18-01-2023, 03:33 AM)Fraizer Wrote:  thank you Node !

sorry for the late answer i get some familly issue.

For the step 2.1:
i can take i gess the last version who is the 04-22-21 even if i use ista 4.29 correct ? (i was waiting maybe a new firmware will appear with ista 4.40... but no idea if it will be).

Look like some people complain about the firmware last 04-22-21 who come with ista 4.39.2, like the icom next it not working with E-sys...

For the "Notes, B":
If there is No "user.settings" file on the USB flash drive what will happen ? (i want a deep Reset factory).
This Factory reset will not make like an Factory settings who will be the best to  use ? Or the ICOM Next will not work if we dont make an new manual settings ?

What will be the Best Settings to set in the ICOM Next ? (i have no wifi or any network in the basment  of my bulding a shared parking, then im using the yellow ethernet wire. i dont think i can set the ICOM Next by wifi without an router  correct ?)

Thank you again Node this will help many people smile

Always take what you read with a grain of salt! smile "Some people" may not know what they are doing smile I have ALWAYS needed to reserve ICOM manually for ESys when connecting via IP address. (If we are talking about same post). Well, either that, or let ISTA run at the same time and reserve it for me.

I'm not sure what will happen without user.settings. Logically there can be 2 possibilities. Either current settings will be left intact, or default ones will be applied. I'm inclined to think it's second one.

Depends on your usage smile If just doing diagnostics AND you have separate computer for that, you can set static IP on both. This is the fastest way. If you ever will flash a car, some modules on some cars will fail in this setup.

As I'm doing flashing from time to time AND I use same computer both in my network and offline, so I need to keep it on DHCP or always mess with settings shake. So I just leave both computer and ICOM on DHCP and wait a minute for ICOM's internal DHCP server to kick in.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SSD file request as I'm hopeless. GoNz0- 2 56 4 hours ago
Last Post: GoNz0-
XZBMW Reset Working Hours MEVD17.2.6 E70 EngineerX 17 1,167 8 hours ago
Last Post: SkeYT
  [MEGA] Any ESYS Editions + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 105 35,786 17-04-2024, 18:36 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  ISTA File Missing? Homersbud 5 270 13-04-2024, 23:53 PM
Last Post: rocdeng
XZBMW ICOM Firmware (NEXT & A2) always current! Vojno 206 42,903 12-04-2024, 23:36 PM
Last Post: bennymx
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 3 298 12-04-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XSMini MINI R60 .SSD-File COAPI-1000 bmw335coding 0 46 11-04-2024, 14:56 PM
Last Post: bmw335coding
XZBMW Need NBT EVO ID6 eMMC File Emmy 2 277 10-04-2024, 21:50 PM
Last Post: Mwahab
XZBMW BMW EntryNav2 CarPlay hardware compatibility list 320ed 5 380 09-04-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: PsevDo
XZBMW F90 Li-Ion battery reset Hoborg 17 1,677 05-04-2024, 19:44 PM
Last Post: TheNine90