Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Lack of Night Vision contrast
09-01-2023, 15:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2023, 15:46 PM by Raimo5.)
XZBMW  Lack of Night Vision contrast
Hello,

Wondering if others are experiencing same kind of behavior with night vision system as I do.

Some days (or nights) the system works wonderfully and produces a nice image from everything around me. Trees, houses, cars, even clouds tens of kilometers away and moon in the sky. Other nights the lack of contrast is so bad that the image on the CID is completely black and I can only see faint traces of heat of cars passing by. I once even got a CC message stating that night vision is restricted due to lack of contrast. Even the system understood that it can't see crap.

Is this a normal behavior influenced by atmospheric conditions or is there something wrong with the system? Car is G11.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2023, 16:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2023, 16:09 PM by M-Simon.)
RE: Lack of Night Vision contrast
It is normally not a problem with the software. The problem is that the unit is not dense, and condensate is building up from inside the lens. Check if water can go inside the system.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user says Thank You to M-Simon for this post
09-01-2023, 17:00 PM,
Exact what Simon Said. It could also be the lens in the camera it self.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to psya for this post
09-01-2023, 18:10 PM,
Thank you both for advice.

I know that lens repair kits come with new seal and lens shroud. Is it possible to dismantle the lens shroud non-destructively and seal it afterwards using the same parts? Seal I guess should be replaced once opened. Is it a typical o-ring or something fancier?

I am also wondering at what level of stone chip damage does the lens become unusable? I have few chips in it, but at days when it works as it should, the image it produces is so clear that I don't think this level of chipping has any impact.

Thanks
10-01-2023, 14:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2023, 14:19 PM by maxwell4321.)
(09-01-2023, 18:10 PM) Raimo5 Wrote:  Thank you both for advice.

I know that lens repair kits come with new seal and lens shroud. Is it possible to dismantle the lens shroud non-destructively and seal it afterwards using the same parts? Seal I guess should be replaced once opened. Is it a typical o-ring or something fancier?

I am also wondering at what level of stone chip damage does the lens become unusable? I have few chips in it, but at days when it works as it should, the image it produces is so clear that I don't think this level of chipping has any impact.

Thanks

It has a heater that prevents condensation so maybe that isn't working, not sure if you can test the heater with ISTA but also check the connections. See attached for sealing ring info.

Info from TIS:

The Night Vision camera is installed behind the left ornamental grille. Rain, dirt, snow or ice can impair the functionality of the camera. The camera is automatically heated at low ambient temperatures. When the headlights are cleaned, the camera is automatically cleaned as well.

The Night Vision camera consists of a heated protective glass, optics and the thermal imaging sensor. The image can be renewed at a rate of 30 time per second. To achieve a consistent image quality, the camera must be calibrated every 120 to 180 seconds. This calibration can take up to approx. 0.3 seconds. For this reason, the image can be observed to freeze briefly in the display.

Attached Files
NIVI.pdf
File Type: .pdf
Downloaded: 15 times
Size: 252.29 KB

[+] 3 users say Thank You to maxwell4321 for this post
11-01-2023, 01:14 AM,
Thanks maxwell,

From the document that you posted, it is evident that the sealing ring is not a typical o-ring. Non the less, it looks like it is reusable if handled properly. Same goes to shroud. If needed, I will of course buy a lens renewal kit, but I'd rather not if it's not needed. Those Germanium lenses go for €400.

I'll check ISTA if there are any meaningful ABL's for NV camera. I'm also planning on removing it for inspection at first convenience.

Cheers
22-01-2023, 03:12 AM,
Time for a conclusion.

I removed the night vision camera for inspection. Word of advice - do not attempt to do it on G11 without opening the radiator blinds. You might be able to wiggle it out with blinds closed, but there is no way to install it with blinds closed. Use ABL from ISTA.

As for the camera, it looked perfectly fine. I removed the lens shroud and there was not a spec of dust or moisture underneath it.

I have read up on long wavelength infrared systems and also test drove it in few different environments and come to a conclusion that what I experience is an environmental factor. The camera itself is good and system operates to its abilities.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Raimo5 for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade Night Vision Camera software ciscospirit 2 298 26-02-2024, 22:35 PM
Last Post: ciscospirit
  0x80049A - NVE: Interner Softwarefehler (Night Vision) ciscospirit 5 393 16-02-2024, 19:08 PM
Last Post: ciscospirit
  G32 ACC and Night vision jaki 7 840 27-01-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: M.Ovidiu
  E61 fuel gauage stop working after night lustek 3 252 15-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: SweetBMW
XZBMW BMW F30 Changes night colors of KOMBI code huzionet 1 520 04-03-2022, 16:13 PM
Last Post: Smarti
XZBMW Solved ✔ BMW e60 2004 525 D batery drain over night florinu 30 2,333 26-10-2019, 21:52 PM
Last Post: florinu
  G30 Lack of visibility after retrofited ACC snf11lci 2 385 13-09-2019, 05:23 AM
Last Post: snf11lci
  All around vision camera Raymnd 2 377 17-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Last Post: ruben_17non
  Night Vision Challenges RocketSurgeon 1 523 18-02-2019, 22:46 PM
Last Post: RocketSurgeon
  Bmw f13 nigcht vision camera replacement kuki88 6 715 20-01-2019, 14:08 PM
Last Post: M-Simon