Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Silent VO/Control unit changes
06-09-2023, 10:06 AM,
XZBMW  Silent VO/Control unit changes
It seems BMW are making silent changes to how the VO system works. I just recently scanned a 2023 KM3 M1000R which comes with DDC from factory. The VO does not contain the DDC code of 223. Yet, it has been physcially removed from the vehicle with no errors shown. The setting can be found in the kombi still via FDL coding. But its never been the case its not in the VO.

The second thing, there is no RDC control unit listed in the control unit tree of a live session, or in ETK. Yet the bike has 530 RDC in the VO and has active TPMS installed. Is it now the job of the kombi or some other control unit for this function? Even the the new GS range lacks the RDC control unit. It seems the Kombi is in charge of this now.

Anyone found similar?
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2023, 10:21 AM,
RE: Silent VO/Control unit changes
I don't see WHY you are surprised at all. It's pretty normal for some functions to be included in series or typecode by default so they no longer have their own SALAPAs. That happens ALL THE TIME (at least with BMW cars).
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
06-09-2023, 10:27 AM,
Certainly haven't been around as long as some but this is new for Motorrad at least recently anyway. Still does not explain the behaviour.
06-09-2023, 11:03 AM,
IMHO there is no point for them to have bogus SALAPAs included in VO which do not change anything (are NOT optional anymore). Now all entries into BMW VO have meaning for controlling coding/flashing/equipment. If they would include all bogus/historic entries into VO like electric windows for 7 series, it will be like VAG where each car has several hundreds of options and need 10 pages of paper just to list them all biggrin
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
06-09-2023, 11:29 AM,
I guess it makes it harder to VO code with less options to remove. Means all has to be done with FDL which means it can't be saved after an update. It reverts to stock. Helpful to be able to VO code and have the options saved.
06-09-2023, 13:40 PM,
My sugestion is to backup before update, then compare it with new cafd's flash.
Maybe you can revert settings by fdl .

learning to code BMW..
07-09-2023, 07:34 AM,
I agree with Node, but this is not unknown in motorcycles either!
The K2x has separate DWA and RDC.
And DWA with RDC when the two functions are implemented in one module, of course, only one module is shown in the tree structure.

Vojnó
Press Thanks and reputation under if this post helped you. 
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Vojno for this post
07-09-2023, 09:51 AM,
But in the case here. We have electronic forks removed and electronic shock removed with no fault code. There is a SAF control unit fitted. But DDC is not in the VO. Yet we have RDC in the VO but no RDC control unit in the vehicle. In this way, it changes where the certain coding parameters are stored and how the functions now communicate. It offers a worse coding experience to remove VO codes in my opinion. It pigeon holes FDL coding. It seems to me like a security measure than anything else.
07-09-2023, 10:26 AM,
I really don't understand your problem. If RDC is optional, then there is a code for that to indicate whether it's there or not. That has absolutely NO relation to which control unit is responsible for that function. Do you expect BMW to use different code if different control unit is responsible??? IMHO that would be a complete mess... Tens of codes meaning same over the years.

Furthermore reducing number of control units allows to reduce costs and ease servicing (less wiring, less potential faults). This ALSO was always the case. Like first E60s had many more units which were replaced by more integrated units even a year later. I see absolutely no problem with that.

If it's your business to do modding, you need to adapt, not the BMW to adapt to some niche market. And new bikes will have secure coding, so your FDL coding days are anyway numbered...
07-09-2023, 10:45 AM,
(07-09-2023, 10:26 AM)Node Wrote:  I really don't understand your problem. If RDC is optional, then there is a code for that to indicate whether it's there or not. That has absolutely NO relation to which control unit is responsible for that function. Do you expect BMW to use different code if different control unit is responsible??? IMHO that would be a complete mess... Tens of codes meaning same over the years.

Furthermore reducing number of control units allows to reduce costs and ease servicing (less wiring, less potential faults). This ALSO was always the case. Like first E60s had many more units which were replaced by more integrated units even a year later. I see absolutely no problem with that.

If it's your business to do modding, you need to adapt, not the BMW to adapt to some niche market. And new bikes will have secure coding, so your FDL coding days are anyway numbered...

You're not understanding what I am getting at. FDL is less ideal than VO for some things. Its also unaffected by updates. I was merely making an observation about something that had changed that had been a certain way for a long time. I'm quite aware of how it all works. You say RDC has a code because its optional. There are a lot of other things that are optional yet lack a code. You also missed the fault part I described. In this case I am intrigued as to how it now works because things have changed. I am not complaining. I am interested in the changes.

Of course I don't expect BMW to adapt to anything. They do what they do and we all adapt to them.

You do a good job of being a condecending with your responses. You could do without the attitude.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to bennymx for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW RETROFI 018B CONTROL TORQUE ADJUSTMENT manuel0476 0 329 09-10-2022, 21:40 PM
Last Post: manuel0476