Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Program a BMW R nine T to use a Wonder Wheel
22-03-2024, 02:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-03-2024, 22:07 PM by laalves911.)
Program a BMW R nine T to use a Wonder Wheel
Hi all,

Another R nine T 2018 question.

I got a used Wonder Wheel from ebay to try to use with my bike using a BMW ConnectedRide phone cradle. Hardware wise all good, plugged and installed. Following the BMW Workshop Installation instructions to install option 0272 (navigation preparation) in contemporary GS1200s, I installed the WW and coded option 0272 using BU. A new option GPS ON/OFF showed up in the left clock LCD screen which I use to toggle ON/OFF but the wonder wheel does nothing with the menus of the LCD, no scrolling no selecting. Not surprised by this, since the KOMBI unit is unique to this bike.

I used ISTA+ to test the WW and it is working, i.e., ISTA can read and display in real time the turning of the wheel positions and the button clicking which means the WW LIN connection through the KOMBI is working and the signal shows up in the CAN bus injected by the KOMBI , making its way to the OBDII plug. All fine.

However, I then tested it with a BMW ConnectedRide cradle but I could not get past the activation screen since it required pressing the menu button of the left handlebar switch unit to supposedly pass the focus from the TFT to the navigation unit. It appears the cradle was thinking it was connected to a TFT bike which the R nine T is not. Since the LCD menus are not operable with the WW, I can't change the focus, as much as I pressed the menu button, nothing happened.

I tried turning GPS ON/OFF in the LCD but no change.

Any ideas on how to make the WW work with a ConnectedRide cradle?

I'm getting a WunderlinQ unit to test and see if it manages to detect the WW signal in the bus, so that will be another test to see if this is working now and it is just the ConnectedRide cradle can't cope with my bootleg setup.
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2024, 19:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-04-2024, 19:39 PM by laalves911.)
RE: Program a BMW R nine T to use a Wonder Wheel
Just an update: with the WunderLINQ, the wonder wheel works perfectly. I may have the only R nineT equipped with a wonder wheel on the planet!
Quote this message in a reply