Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

ICOM Next Green Flashing COMM light
05-04-2023, 16:14 PM,
ICOM Next Green Flashing COMM light
If I'm struggling with this, then hopefully it will save somebody a lot of searching one day!

Went to workshop this morning and my ICOM Next (genuine purchased from dealer) which has only been used a handful of times, isn't responding correctly.

I used it yesterday but had to "downgrade" the firmware to an earlier version.  The firmware installed correctly and I performed a full car software update using the device, plus a handful of diagnostics -- so it was 100% working yesterday.

When I connect the ICOM to the vehicle's OBD port, the COMM light flashes steadily on and off.  The LAN light briefly illuminates, for less than a second and then disappears.  From this point on, the COMM light continues flashing steady green on/off and no other lights appear.

Tested on multiple vehicles.  Nothing appears in iTool Radar and can't ping or connect to the device on the "usual" IP addresses. Firewall is off and no AV blocking it either.

My network cable is good - tried on a colleagues device with no issues.

I plan on swapping the OBD lead on the device, with one from my "spare" ICOM tomorrow and trying that.  But I get the feeling I'm going to end up flashing the firmware using a USB stick as documented by Node in ICOM Next How to Hardware reset (correct bin file ?) (cartechnology.co.uk)

Does anybody out there have a reference to the meanings of the status indicators on the ICOM Next device?

Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2023, 19:13 PM,
RE: ICOM Next Green Flashing COMM light
Here is Icom Next User Guide.

Attached Files
Icom Next User Guide.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 57 times
Size: 73 bytes

[+] 1 user says Thank You to tonemoz for this post
06-04-2023, 17:49 PM,
RE: ICOM Next Green Flashing COMM light
Update ...

I tried different LAN cables and even swapped the OBD cable - made no difference.

I followed the hardware reset procedure, putting the firmware back to more recent version that I had on before the firmware "downgrade".

All working perfectly now.

However, the procedure documented in https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.p...#pid586679 didn't work for my ICOM Next. After a bit of messing this is what worked for me:

1. Copied the 2 firmware films onto a FAT32 USB stick.
2. Inserted the stick into the ICOM
3. Connected the ICOM to the vehicle

Note: Holding down the reset button whilst plugging in the ICOM did nothing. I held it for a long while too.

4. Pressed the reset button and immediately released it.
5. Got a chain of red lights, bouncing back and forth.
6. These turned to a chain of green lights.
7. Disconnected the ICOM and removed the USB stick
8. Reconnected ICOM and it worked perfectly

My ICOM is about 6-months old. Perhaps different chipset or revision to the procedure. This is purely speculation on my part.

Files were written to the USB stick - all contained in an compressed archive. The archive was encrypted and password protected, so unable to examine the log files etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to use ICOM with BMW VirtualGT1 qeen 0 76 09-05-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: qeen
  [MEGA] ESYS + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 109 37,035 06-05-2024, 17:22 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  Flashing hybrid cars with E-sys ravager 0 171 18-04-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: ravager
XZBMW ICOM Firmware (NEXT & A2) always current! Vojno 206 43,817 12-04-2024, 23:36 PM
Last Post: bennymx
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 3 350 12-04-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: Node
  Solved ✔ ICOM NEXT Error bmwcare 4 2,533 01-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: ivanp
  CCC flash WINKFP ICOM BimmerSLO 9 399 29-03-2024, 19:17 PM
Last Post: Hoborg
  G30 LCI Headlights retrofit: High Beam Laser light locking active tcp443 19 3,642 26-03-2024, 21:25 PM
Last Post: Satia
  For anyone having problem with ICOM NEXT FW update via ISTA+. ImmBoo 16 4,483 24-03-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Twointje
  Flashing a stock box map to an E60 with XHP? GoNz0- 10 443 20-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: tomaxsas