Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Solved ✔ Mistake made a month ago, over my head. EWS, X_SLZ, Keyless
17-12-2023, 23:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2024, 08:28 AM by Clusters.)
XZBMW  Mistake made a month ago, over my head. EWS, X_SLZ, Keyless
(I am sorry for not posting this under Motorcycle, but it was suggested to post this here because it’s not at all related to the 2 wheels, but rather a guru at BMW software's, as this bike does have a standard OBD port and use the same diagnostic software as the passenger vehicles)

So, I have a 2022 BMW S1000XR Motorcycle and I was doing some updates and changes VIA E-sys into the early hours of the morning, just over a month ago. Getting tired I decided to make a stupid decision and press on anyway. At some point I accidentally clicked the dreaded “program default’s” or whatever that stupid self-destruct button is right next to the normal coding button. I had multiple ECU’s selected for changes and I never realized I clicked the self-destruct until the programming got to the EWS and began programming it; at which point the bike just went off, complete K15 power down. I looked at the live logs and realized what had happened. I have managed to get all the correct programming back on all the other modules (only 7 modules in total on this bike) but I cannot get the EWS (X_SLZ, opt 193, Keyless ride) back or get the bike to power up in any way besides bypassing or “hotwiring” the bike with some help from the ISTA wiring diagram. I am not aware of a PAD mode on these bikes, I have tried the car PAD combinations I am aware of.  Even with the ability to now get power to all aspects of the bike manually, It seems to be over my head to get the EWS back to the way it was, or back to any status where it cooperates with the DME. 

If I use ISTA it always shows up red on the ECU list and appears to not communicate at all. ISTA will recognize a problem and accept doing a EWS replacement calculation, however it will never start the process, always waiting for me to complete the first step, the installation of the new hardware order. I am guessing this is because it always shows the EWS as incommunicado. If I go through E-sys to try and re-code the EWS I always end up with more communication errors via D-CAN or Ethernet example is 

resource not available] [VendorCode=2142] [VendorCodeDescription-P2 timeout occured]: LinkName: X_SLZ_40_ETHE

TAL-execution "not successfully" finished. [G200]

error: timeout, link=X_SLZ_40_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]>

<MCDDiagService<id=46900, job com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3 GetSVKfromECU, service=RDB <MCDDiagService<id=46900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_GetSVKfromECU, service-RDBI_SVK ReadDataByIdentifier SVK, description error: timeout, link=X_SLZ_40_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]>

<MCDDiagService<id=46900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3 GetSVKfromECU, service-RDBI_SVK ReadDataByIdentifier SVK, description error: timeout, link=X_SLZ_40_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]>

<[X SLZ40] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]>

<[X SLZ-40] [Exception - X_SLZ
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
40] negative response error:

description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI SVK has error in result: [Severity=2051] [ErrorCode=58640] [ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available] [VendorCode-2142][VendorCodeDescription-P2 cimeout occured]: LinkName: X_8L 40_ETHE

<[] null [THROWABLE]>

At this point I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge. I am looking for some advice here; or I am willing to pay a guru to remotely resolve this for me. I have an authentic Icon Next, D-can cable, ODB-Ethernet and I have also been able to get the DME and EWS to see each other on the bench wired up, off the bike. I have not tried anything more complicated than normal Tal and coding stuff in E-sys and poking around in ISTA, I am far from a guru with these or any other more complex BMW software, though I do have just about every software I have ever heard of installed on my computer dedicated to this mess. If anyone has any suggestions, I am more than willing to give them a shot, fire away. If anyone thinks this is something they can handle remotely, please PM me, let me know what you would charge and how Payment should be made and under what conditions. I would prefer a flat “fix” rate and you can spend as much or little time as you require. I do work in IT (networking & security) for a living, so I should be easy to work with from the perspective of helping on this end.   

Attached are a few relevant pictures. Thank You for any assistance. 

-RP, 

USA, Pacific Standard Time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

18-12-2023, 07:14 AM,
RE: Mistake made a month ago, over my head. EWS, X_SLZ, Keyless
I don't know much about motorcycles, but on CAS3 cars you can repeatedly press the start-stop button to keep the CAS awake. Maybe it's worth a try. Just press the power(?) button every few seconds until coding is started.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to user0086 for this post
18-12-2023, 10:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-12-2023, 10:51 AM by Almostsobur.)
Thank you for the suggestion. I believe that does work to an extent. I used that method to get access to the other modules when I had no ignition at all. I believe it was waking up the IP protocol. I have since bypassed and hardwired the WL or "Wake Line" I believe they call it. I am not sure if hardwiring the WL helps when everything is on the bike though, because it still shows red in ISTA and I can't communicate with it in any way I know how to do. It did seem to work on the bench though, with just the DME and EWS wired and powered. That is the only time I have been able to see it in ISTA. I forget exactly why, but I was not able to program it like that though. I think because of all the faults from not seeing the other ECU's.

Maybe I need to program a little PLC to trigger the wake on intervals, instead of a constant 12V.

A couple more things I would like to add. I am pretty sure I have all of the E-sys logs leading up too, and showing what happened. I copied all of the TAL info and E-sys directories to a flash drive shortly after this happened. I just don't have the knowledge for those logs to mean much to me.

I also have a couple of full backups of all the CAF files and whatever else BU backs up when you run a complete backup. I have a few of those all before the incident. I'm hoping that something in there retains the programming for my FOB?? That's really the only issue at this point, but I don't know how to load that stuff back up if I can't talk to the EWS.

a little more info, in all my searching and browsing trying to understand this all a bit more I came across one video that I will link below that seems to be the closest thing to the solution I probably need. He is showing the same error messages I get when trying to reprogram my EWS in E-sys and seems to be having very close to the same symptoms. However, he gets into Toolset 32 (which I have installed) but am completely unfamiliar with, never used it and I have no clue what it is he is doing, but it seems to work. If anyone understands what is going on in this video well enough to try what he is doing; I will pay for your time to give it a shot. I emailed the addy of the creator and asked if he does any remote work and did not get a reply.

Last thing, as a last resort, if I order a new EWS from BMW, does it come programmed to a FOB? Does it come with a FOB? Does anyone know if I can make a "blank" new EWS work with just ISTA? Will I be making any headway? I believe I saw a dealer listing them from $850-1200; that's very pricey, but at this point it's almost worth it, I literally have hundreds of hours into trying to resolve this myself and at some point, how much is my time worth? Know what I mean?

Attached Files
video.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 13 times
Size: 50 bytes

18-12-2023, 11:01 AM,
Use Rheingold to make complete program & it will return back.
Hope that will work.
18-12-2023, 11:58 AM,
some basic bike info:
- the DME (BMS) is the gateway,
- yes, the EWS make WL throu (green/yelo white?!?) wire
- yes, if you can buy new EWS for this bike based on VIN then you nothing else is needed.
Bike can start!
Which may still be necessary to flash and coded the complete vehicle to uniform I-Steps!

Vojnó
Press Thanks and reputation under if this post helped you. 
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Vojno for this post
18-12-2023, 19:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-12-2023, 19:26 PM by Almostsobur.)
(18-12-2023, 11:01 AM)aloxo Wrote:  Use Rheingold to make complete program & it will return back.
Hope that will work.

If you mean ISTA-P, I wish sad For some reason BMW does not enable ISTA-P to work on the latest bikes. No idea why. With ISTA+ it does not recognize it as being installed so always just ends at the first step after the execution, saying install the hardware first.

(18-12-2023, 11:58 AM)Vojno Wrote:  some basic bike info:
- the DME (BMS) is the gateway,
- yes, the EWS make WL throu (green/yelo white?!?) wire
- yes, if you can buy new EWS for this bike based on VIN then you nothing else is needed.
Bike can start!
Which may still be necessary to flash and coded the complete vehicle to uniform I-Steps!

For some reason I thought the gateway was the little ECU underneath the DME, the "general" ECU or whatever they call it. I have not tried to start the bike as is, because I have way too many wires jumping around from ECU to ECU, but I have a rocker switch setup that does power everything up appropriately and trigger the relays etc. When I check the DME in ISTA though it says it is not authenticated to enable the started motor (which I could bypass) but I assume that also means the fuel pump.
19-12-2023, 05:54 AM,
Have asked what new EWS costs?
To me it looks like You are on the way to do more damage than the price of new unit..
19-12-2023, 08:28 AM,
(19-12-2023, 05:54 AM)jaki Wrote:  Have asked what new EWS costs?
To me it looks like You are on the way to do more damage than the price of new unit..

Yeah, I mentioned that above, looks like between about $900-$1200. Few issues though... 

1. Will a blank, brand new EWS work with my existing FOB, or at least be basic ISTA programming to make it functional? (If so, that leads me to why can't I just get my existing one in that "new" programing state?) Can anyone absolutely confirm this? It's a lot of cash to throw at a "maybe." I'd really rather delete option 193 this useless keyless system entirely if possible, if I go this route, I'd much rather have the old school turn the key. This is my multi-day; go anywhere bike and I can see this POS system leaving me wandering through a dessert looking for water to survive someday. Where I come from, we protect our bikes with large caliber pistols, not low voltage batteries in a remote; that's for the television. Theft is not a concern, being locked out of my own bike is becoming one. 

2. Will BMW sell me one? I'm certain there is some programming involved, are they going to tell me they have to do the work? I can't ride the bike in, dealer is over an Hr away, expensive tow to go with the part & labor? 

3. If I take it in, I'm assuming they will be able to figure out I diddled with things, in particular when they see like yesterdays I-level on everything and the 2024 suspension program etc. I'm guessing this will void my warranty on the spot, trying to avoid that if possible. 

4. I'm really leaning towards buying the regular turn a key setup if I can't find anyone with the expertise to fix this one. However, I'm not sure if any other hardware needs to be replaced, or if it's just coding, or if ill end up in the same place I am now and the DME won't like it. 

5. My closest dealer(s) are not the sharpest tools in the shed, that's pretty much why I do all my own work, I don't trust their capabilities (a few times they have given me every reason to feel this way).
19-12-2023, 10:50 AM,
Get it to dealer, they will fix it under warranty
19-12-2023, 10:55 AM,
Can open slz and rewrite flash (correct one) with programmer , but one problem , that slz is us version , so cant help with flash .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solved ✔ F56, disable Keyless Entry by coding Edward1968 5 704 07-02-2024, 19:48 PM
Last Post: Edward1968
XZBMW Simulate inputs on the head unit MGU anton.maier 5 398 27-01-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: anton.maier
XZBMW [Solved] Is possible retrofit KEyless entry in Bmw F25/F26 CAS4 ruben_17non 8 914 01-12-2023, 22:20 PM
Last Post: ruben_17non
XZBMW G30 Keyless entry retrofit. BDC compatibility? abrek 9 649 16-11-2023, 20:32 PM
Last Post: wagusty
  Question about cas and keyless go key position budddyyy 6 348 05-11-2023, 19:02 PM
Last Post: budddyyy
  Solved ✔ G05 keyless retrofit mr_nitroz 19 1,012 03-11-2023, 09:04 AM
Last Post: mr_nitroz
  320d F31 2013 add keyless remote Pentheus 3 263 04-07-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: jaramillo
XZBMW Solved ✔ mistake Vdpm104 ISTA adamwajda 4 452 20-03-2023, 19:28 PM
Last Post: adamwajda
  How to Virginize BMW CHAMP2 Head Unit Dee67 15 1,902 07-03-2023, 18:24 PM
Last Post: Dee67
  ISTA with AutoHex II head? RaoulK1998 0 223 14-02-2023, 13:01 PM
Last Post: RaoulK1998