Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

I-Level after coding
01-07-2022, 13:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2022, 13:53 PM by Node.)
RE: I-Level after coding
(01-07-2022, 11:58 AM)Elf11 Wrote:  
(01-07-2022, 11:08 AM)Node Wrote:  
(01-07-2022, 10:29 AM)davidoff86 Wrote:  
(01-07-2022, 10:25 AM)TheNine90 Wrote:  Using ISTA you cannot select individual ECU or code only without programming. It usually updates the whole car. Its likely the vehicle was updated using ISTA or esys was used to code and change i-level

You can actually - you can select individual ecus under the advanced tab and choose programming and/or encoding

Exactly. I see the same crap over and over that you can't change these. If you haven't even tried to do that then at least read release notes. They frequently state "Assign HU-H3 control unit manually for programming in ISTA" or similar. How you are supposed to do that if ISTA+ would not allow you to???
Well at least ISTA+ official can't unselect any units who are selected by calculation of messuring plan. I know it's possible in ISTAP expert version but DME will always be affected as well even if not selected. No offense, maybe you know more than I do please tell me how to do singel unit coding in ISTA offline? I havent tried with the one from sedoy might be different though

I don't know about ISTA+ official, but ISTA+ from Sedoy DEFINITELY ALLOWS EXACTLY THAT. I would expect official one to allow that too, based on release notes. And that was possible for years now. I remember it was not possible VERY long ago, but was possible for years now.

(01-07-2022, 12:19 PM)14TLC Wrote:  
(01-07-2022, 11:34 AM)Node Wrote:  IMHO BMW just plays it safe here. Some new iLevels are different in coding only in relation to previous level. So it writes a new level to a car anyway.

In any case as far as I understand this is just for information ONLY. So older ISTA version can tell you that a vehicle was processed with newer one. When doing actual calculations all softwares (ESys, ISTA-P, ISTA+, etc) uses actual unit data, not this iLevel.

That was my concern. If it is like that than one should not decide weather a vehicle should be programmed or not by comparing vehicle I-Level and actual ISTA I-Level and concluding that it is up to date. In any case one should start the process for actual calculation and see the outcome.

I will try this with both ISTA+ and ISTA/P and report back.

As I already said both of these actually perform calculations to offer unit upgrades if/when needed. And as bmchicago confirms this in an actual procedure at BMW.
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2022, 14:34 PM,
(01-07-2022, 13:52 PM)Node Wrote:  
(01-07-2022, 10:25 AM)TheNine90 Wrote:  Using ISTA you cannot select individual ECU or code only without programming. It usually updates the whole car. Its likely the vehicle was updated using ISTA or esys was used to code and change i-level

You can actually - you can select individual ecus under the advanced tab and choose programming and/or encoding

Exactly. I see the same crap over and over that you can't change these. If you haven't even tried to do that then at least read release notes. They frequently state "Assign HU-H3 control unit manually for programming in ISTA" or similar. How you are supposed to do that if ISTA+ would not allow you to???
Well at least ISTA+ official can't unselect any units who are selected by calculation of messuring plan. I know it's possible in ISTAP expert version but DME will always be affected as well even if not selected. No offense, maybe you know more than I do please tell me how to do singel unit coding in ISTA offline? I havent tried with the one from sedoy might be different though

I don't know about ISTA+ official, but ISTA+ from Sedoy DEFINITELY ALLOWS EXACTLY THAT. I would expect official one to allow that too, based on release notes. And that was possible for years now. I remember it was not possible VERY long ago, but was possible for years now.

(01-07-2022, 11:34 AM)Node Wrote:  IMHO BMW just plays it safe here. Some new iLevels are different in coding only in relation to previous level. So it writes a new level to a car anyway.

In any case as far as I understand this is just for information ONLY. So older ISTA version can tell you that a vehicle was processed with newer one. When doing actual calculations all softwares (ESys, ISTA-P, ISTA+, etc) uses actual unit data, not this iLevel.

That was my concern. If it is like that than one should not decide weather a vehicle should be programmed or not by comparing vehicle I-Level and actual ISTA I-Level and concluding that it is up to date. In any case one should start the process for actual calculation and see the outcome.

As I already said both of these actually perform calculations to offer unit upgrades if/when needed. And as bmchicago confirms this in an actual procedure at BMW.

Calm down bro and enjoy your f***ing Friday
01-07-2022, 14:44 PM,
Oh, I'm very calm, believe me biggrin I'm just too old to waste time listening to same BS over and over again.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
01-07-2022, 21:49 PM,
Thanks Node and bmchicago

I was curious and tried with ISTA/P. I only coded one bike and after coding ISTA/P updated the I-Level although nothing was programmed. 

Then I started ISTA/P again and after reading the bike, the "Determine measures plan"  button was greyed out since the actual I-Level is same with ISTA/P I-Level. But after selecting individual modules for programming in "Process control modules" tab, measures plan shows that one module will receive an update

01-07-2022, 23:45 PM,
it can also depend on chassis. On motorrad maybe works different than car.

The models before E65 7 Series or any vehicle without MOST fiber optic network, the control units that can be flashed is limited.

For Example E83.
Only these modules can be reflashed or updated.
DME, EGS, VTG, DSC

ISTA/P will not automatically determine updates and you must check manually or use KIS database to see if an update is available. These vehicles do not have I-Levels and rely on programmed part numbers in ETK or KIS, or SIB.

like i said, maybe motorrad is different that vehicle. i have no experience with bikes. if you look on ETK there are i-levels in supplement section next to ZFE.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to bmchicago for this post
02-07-2022, 20:19 PM,
(01-07-2022, 23:45 PM)bmchicago Wrote:  it can also depend on chassis. On motorrad maybe works different than car.

The models before E65 7 Series or any vehicle without MOST fiber optic network,  the control units that can be flashed is limited.

For Example E83.
Only these modules can be reflashed or updated.
DME, EGS, VTG, DSC

ISTA/P will not automatically determine updates and you must check manually or use KIS database to see if an update is available. These vehicles do not have I-Levels and rely on programmed part numbers in ETK or KIS, or SIB.

like i said, maybe motorrad is different that vehicle. i have no experience with bikes. if you look on ETK there are i-levels in supplement section next to ZFE.

Yes, exactly. On older motorcycles is pretty much the same. For example, attached screenshot of ETK for DME part numbers for one particular motorcycle. The hardware is same but the different part numbers are related to the programmed version. 

I-Level is there and presented but not necessarily means that all modules have been updated. Like in my previous post with coding vs programming.

So, if you are interested to know whether a module on a vehicle has particular upgrade needed to solve some issues, it is not enough to check just the I-Level
04-07-2022, 09:08 AM,
(01-07-2022, 13:52 PM)Node Wrote:  

That got me curious. 

For ISTA P expert mode allows to deselect ECU's no problem.

For Sedoys ISTA+ in config file I can see that all expert options are "true" nevertheless when I go to updated->advance tab some modules are greyed out and there's no possibility to deselect them. Reading your comments I assume that's somethign wrong here?

Just for clarity sake, I can add more ECU's or code replaced ones but for ISTA+ act's like ISTA P in standard mode no matter what I do.
04-07-2022, 10:51 AM,
I've tried the other day on a F40 with latest I-step(with ISTA from sedoy). Just coding one ECU was possible since there is no messuring plan available because all ECU's are updated. As much i know some units can only be programmed in combination with other's this information can also be found in esys what ECU's has to be programmed together. But i don't know why ISTA can't just writhe the coding file to one unit. It could be because coding file changes with I-step upgrade, so if ISTA is on a newer version than current I-step and the coding file is changed it does not allow to just code one ECU's. But i probably missing something, please correct if someone knows better.
05-07-2022, 17:25 PM,
(04-07-2022, 10:51 AM)Elf11 Wrote:  I've tried the other day on a F40 with latest I-step(with ISTA from sedoy). Just coding one ECU was possible since there is no messuring plan available because all ECU's are updated. As much i know some units can only be programmed in combination with other's this information can also be found in esys what ECU's has to be programmed together. But i don't know why ISTA can't just writhe the coding file to one unit. It could be because coding file changes with I-step upgrade, so if ISTA is on a newer version than current I-step and the coding file is changed it does not allow to just code one ECU's. But i probably missing something, please correct if someone knows better.

Just got my hands on ISTA+ manual and it clearly states that in "advance" tab you can add additional ECU's for programing on top action plan calcualted in "comfort" but deselecting is not possible. 

Unless someone is willing to correct me I will trust BMW manual.
05-07-2022, 17:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 18:03 PM by Elf11.)
(05-07-2022, 17:25 PM)diagso Wrote:  
(04-07-2022, 10:51 AM)Elf11 Wrote:  I've tried the other day on a F40 with latest I-step(with ISTA from sedoy). Just coding one ECU was possible since there is no messuring plan available because all ECU's are updated. As much i know some units can only be programmed in combination with other's this information can also be found in esys what ECU's has to be programmed together. But i don't know why ISTA can't just writhe the coding file to one unit. It could be because coding file changes with I-step upgrade, so if ISTA is on a newer version than current I-step and the coding file is changed it does not allow to just code one ECU's. But i probably missing something, please correct if someone knows better.

Just got my hands on ISTA+ manual and it clearly states that in "advance" tab you can add additional ECU's for programing on top action plan calcualted in "comfort" but deselecting is not possible. 

Unless someone is willing to correct me I will trust BMW manual.
That's what i experienced as well, tried on some other cars today, it's just not possible. Perhaps there is a reason for it.

(01-07-2022, 14:44 PM)Node Wrote:  Oh, I'm very calm, believe me biggrin I'm just too old to waste time listening to same BS over and over again.

Could you please explain how "just" coding of one ECU can be done in ISTA4? I'd really appreciate that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW Bmw F34 trailer hitch coding ? Cryjack 2 64 27-04-2024, 20:27 PM
Last Post: dumitru.o
XZBMW F20 LCI2 black panel cluster coding sqorpius 10 2,091 27-04-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: hamzettin
  FDL coding BMW Apps Mugga 3 200 26-04-2024, 18:06 PM
Last Post: Mugga
XZBMW Coding a F80 M3 race car PeterY 10 567 25-04-2024, 23:32 PM
Last Post: Furgus
XZBMW ISTA 4.47.1x I-LEVEL+OVERVIEW AutoExe3219 0 305 24-04-2024, 22:52 PM
Last Post: AutoExe3219
  NBT Evo CAFD missing after coding error Mugga 13 622 24-04-2024, 22:47 PM
Last Post: Mugga
XZBMW 6wb cluster swap and coding xMoses 4 259 22-04-2024, 19:07 PM
Last Post: NikolaIMRS
XZBMW M performance brake DSC2 SBRE coding Ckh091020 3 238 22-04-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Ckh091020
  pulling both paddles put transmission into neutral coding tintoverano 1 132 22-04-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: raresh.tazz
XZBMW NBT EVO Connected Drive problem after update I-Level SkeYT 47 4,766 22-04-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: kwat