Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Solved ✔ Help programming DSC module with Esys
05-03-2018, 15:49 PM,
RE: Help programming DSC module with Esys
I have dilemma which i-step version is supposed to be selected as shipment and which one as target. For example - my car is currently F025-17-03-530 and the DSC module I'm trying to install is identified in ISTA as 24.11.14 (programming date)
Should I select single or complete flash ? Why all the reds and blues on the list. Take a look at the attachment.
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2018, 22:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 22:18 PM by Breach.)
(05-03-2018, 11:33 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  Cant the poster select same I-step as the car or later? Or is I-step determined by the version of Psdzdata being used I guess so one cant select! I have flashed a unit before but never bothered to check I step. I just let Esys pick the I-step. Maybe I was just lucky! But I did so because I used the latest data at that time so assumed higher I-step can never be bad.

There are three i-steps:
- i-step shipment - which is the integration the car left the factory with
- i-step current - the current integration level (e.g. if the car has been updated)
- i-step target - this is typically just one and matches the version of the psdzdata you've downloaded.

What's very important is to select the right i-step shipment - otherwise e-Sys wouldn't know what HW to expect in this vehicle. There's a DB called KIS which maintains a mapping the car hardware which can be expected for each i-level. Provided that you selected 'read from VCM' it will work fine, but if you choose the wrong i-step shipment and flash away you're in for some trouble.

(05-03-2018, 15:49 PM)Dovla76 Wrote:  I have dilemma which i-step version is supposed to be selected as shipment and which one as target. For example - my car is currently F025-17-03-530 and the DSC module I'm trying to install is identified in ISTA as 24.11.14 (programming date)
Should I select single or complete flash ? Why all the reds and blues on the list. Take a look at the attachment.
Thanks

See above. You can ignore i-step current. In a normal flash procedure (no changed ECUs) you'd select read from VCM (or go to Expert Mode -> VCM -> Master in E-sys
and click read i-steps). Then e-Sys would know which is the i-step shipment of your car. But this is not your case. In your case you want to flash only DSC, but trouble is you usually don't know the i-step of the car it came from. So you need to try them one at a time (technically, there's a way to match the HW in KIS, but it's complicated). So you have a F025 - the first possible i-step for this car is F025-10-09-501. You'd select i-step shipment F025-10-09-501 - target i-step would be the version of the data you downloaded. Keep complete flash at this stage. Then calculate target SVT (takes a while). Then, what's very important - see this mismatch in HWEL for DME in your screenshot? That's not good - if you see this for DSC, select the next i-step shipment from the list and recalculate until the HWEL before and after match (black). You don't need to try all hundreds of i-step shipments - the last three digits indicate a patch which normally you shouldn't care about. So after F025-10-09-501 try F0XX-11-03-500. Rinse and repeat until HWEL/HWAP elements are black (no blue/red in the SVT comparison). If you see a date printed on the DSC module you probably don't have to start all the way in September 2009 (10-09) - e.g. if the module was manufactured on 01.01.2014 you can start with F025-13-11-504 to save some time. Anyway, after you've found the i-step shipment version in this way (the one for the DSC module anyway)...

... you can proceed with the TAL calculation, but when you get to the flash screen only select blFlash, cdDeploy, swDeploy and only for the DSC - nothing else. Check availability and flash. That's it. There's also the issue that DSC may have prerequisites which you'd need to flash to the same target i-level version (this time using your real i-step shipment of your car), but don't bother with this unless the DSC flash succeeds but you still have issues.

[Edit: During the flash your car will go nuts - you'll see all sorts of messages, etc. - keep calm and patient, don't touch anything and wait for it to finish - there's a log window in e-Sys]

[Edit 2: I see you're using TokenMaster's launcher - don't flash using the launcher, run e-Sys pure for programming jobs, not sure why, but it's a famous mantra out here wink]
[+] 11 users say Thank You to Breach for this post
06-03-2018, 05:38 AM,
Hahaha, wow, thank you so much, you literally drew it for me smile I used to program a lot with Progman but that was long time ago on E39s. I will try tomorrow and report back if there are any issues. What's the correct procedure for DSC VIN change, or this is already covered ?

Thanks again !
06-03-2018, 08:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 08:00 AM by Breach.)
(06-03-2018, 05:38 AM)Dovla76 Wrote:  Hahaha, wow, thank you so much, you literally drew it for me smile I used to program a lot with Progman but that was long time ago on E39s. I will try tomorrow and report back if there are any issues. What's the correct procedure for DSC VIN change, or this is already covered ?

Thanks again !

Your car's VIN will be written during the process to the DSC module.
06-03-2018, 08:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 08:05 AM by willisodhiambo.)
(05-03-2018, 22:04 PM)Breach Wrote:  
(05-03-2018, 11:33 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  Cant the poster select same I-step as the car or later? Or is I-step determined by the version of Psdzdata being used I guess so one cant select! I have flashed a unit before but never bothered to check I step. I just let Esys pick the I-step. Maybe I was just lucky! But I did so because I used the latest data at that time so assumed higher I-step can never be bad.

There are three i-steps:
- i-step shipment - which is the integration the car left the factory with
- i-step current - the current integration level (e.g. if the car has been updated)
- i-step target - this is typically just one and matches the version of the psdzdata you've downloaded.

What's very important is to select the right i-step shipment - otherwise e-Sys wouldn't know what HW to expect in this vehicle. There's a DB called KIS which maintains a mapping the car hardware which can be expected for each i-level. Provided that you selected 'read from VCM' it will work fine, but if you choose the wrong i-step shipment and flash away you're in for some trouble.

(05-03-2018, 15:49 PM)Dovla76 Wrote:  I have dilemma which i-step version is supposed to be selected as shipment and which one as target. For example - my car is currently F025-17-03-530 and the DSC module I'm trying to install is identified in ISTA as 24.11.14 (programming date)
Thanks

See above. You can ignore i-step current. In a normal flash procedure (no changed ECUs) you'd select read from VCM (or go to Expert Mode -> VCM -> Master in E-sys
and click read i-steps). Then e-Sys would know which is the i-step shipment of your car. But this is not your case. In your case you want to flash only DSC, but trouble is you usually don't know the i-step of the car it came from. So you need to try them one at a time (technically, there's a way to match the HW in KIS, but it's complicated). So you have a F025 - the first possible i-step for this car is F025-10-09-501. You'd select i-step shipment F025-10-09-501 - target i-step would be the version of the data you downloaded. Keep complete flash at this stage. Then calculate target SVT (takes a while). Then, what's very important - see this mismatch in HWEL for DME in your screenshot? That's not good - if you see this for DSC, select the next i-step shipment from the list and recalculate until the HWEL before and after match (black). You don't need to try all hundreds of i-step shipments - the last three digits indicate a patch which normally you shouldn't care about. So after F025-10-09-501 try F0XX-11-03-500. Rinse and repeat until HWEL/HWAP elements are black (no blue/red in the SVT comparison). If you see a date printed on the DSC module you probably don't have to start all the way in September 2009 (10-09) - e.g. if the module was manufactured on 01.01.2014 you can start with F025-13-11-504 to save some time. Anyway, after you've found the i-step shipment version in this way (the one for the DSC module anyway)...

... you can proceed with the TAL calculation, but when you get to the flash screen only select blFlash, cdDeploy, swDeploy and only for the DSC - nothing else. Check availability and flash. That's it. There's also the issue that DSC may have prerequisites which you'd need to flash to the same target i-level version (this time using your real i-step shipment of your car), but don't bother with this unless the DSC flash succeeds but you still have issues.

[Edit: During the flash your car will go nuts - you'll see all sorts of messages, etc. - keep calm and patient, don't touch anything and wait for it to finish - there's a log window in e-Sys]

[Edit 2: I see you're using TokenMaster's launcher - don't flash using the launcher, run e-Sys pure for programming jobs, not sure why, but it's a famous mantra out here wink]

congratscongrats I am very well educated! Now this is discourse!

What is the use of the "single flash" option?
06-03-2018, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM by Breach.)
(05-03-2018, 11:33 AM)willisodhiambo Wrote:  What is the use of the "single flash" option?

Frankly - I don't know. I imagine compared to 'Complete Flash' calculation it doesn't construct the SVT dependency tree or something - e.g. if you're flashing an ECU on a bench. Remember that e-Sys is an engineering swiss army knife tool so it's not used by dealerships. But I'm just guessing here, I've always used 'Complete flash', would be interested to know what the exact differences are myself.
06-03-2018, 23:25 PM,
So now I tried to play around with all i-steps between 2013 and 2015 and best I can get is this (see screenshot) - SWFL is blue / red

Does that need to be black as well ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-03-2018, 01:26 AM,
No, that looks fine.

Check only the SWFL and CAFD boxes in the TAL Calculation as there is no BTLD Update to reduce the risk.

Greets
07-03-2018, 08:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018, 08:23 AM by Breach.)
Yep, that looks good. You can go ahead with the flash, again, when you get to TAL-Processing make absolutely sure that only swDeploy is selected and ONLY for DSC - as the previous poster said, there's no bootloader or new CAFD so there's no need to select blFlash or cdDeploy (not that it will do anything if you leave them selected...). What's critical is to make sure you uncheck all the boxes for all the other ECUs in the TAL list.

After the flash completes:

1. As there's no coding being deployed in this case, go to Expert Mode -> Coding -> Load and activate FA -> Load your target SVT -> Select DSC -> Right click and select code to VO code the DSC to defaults. [Under no circumstances click on the Code defaults button in the right pane!]
2. Go to External Applications Start transmitter -> Connect -> Select the last service (14 FF...clear dtc, the long one) -> Click Send. This will clear any faults logged during the flash procedure.
3. Cycle ignition

That should be all.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Breach for this post
10-03-2018, 03:55 AM,
Thank you all for helping me out and being on top of this with me. However programming the module did not solve my problem so I had to try one last thing - replace the wheel bearing and believe it or not- NO MORE ERRORS ! I drove at all possible speeds, roads, hard stops, cornering and everything looks great smile

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all your help, thank you once again !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW ESys Launcher PRO Setup 2.8.1 fengyonghua21 410 49,299 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pommie
  BMW F40 (1 series) no FZD module Ibrahim24 3 116 Yesterday, 17:48 PM
Last Post: dumitru.o
XZBMW Esys error message only on EPS. ''Failed to get CAFs for SWE'' arthur101 2 99 25-04-2024, 22:48 PM
Last Post: arthur101
  GenEsys Creator (New Tool FA ESYS) scorpium59 416 30,645 23-04-2024, 15:31 PM
Last Post: wiese
XZBMW HU NBT with esys need advice. arthur101 3 145 20-04-2024, 22:00 PM
Last Post: kwork
  Esys ultra Erezbmwm 4 643 18-04-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: sacaman
  [MEGA] Any ESYS Editions + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 105 36,102 17-04-2024, 18:36 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
XZBMW Flash MPPK software 20D B47 (Esys) ruben_17non 5 584 10-04-2024, 21:38 PM
Last Post: ruben_17non
XZBMW BimmerUtility vs Esys Launchers diagso 562 110,010 07-04-2024, 17:48 PM
Last Post: vld
XZBMW xdrive off with esys without error in dash dankocg 14 2,924 07-04-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Fatalix