Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

NBT EVO no response UART?
24-02-2022, 13:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-02-2022, 13:12 PM by sambir.)
NBT EVO no response UART?
Hi,

So i have an NBT evo hw 3.1 from a customer. The unit tries to boot once it gets power, shortly you can see NO SIGNAL and it restarts again, you can hear the hdd shutdown. Without HDD it makes a short clicking sound and reboots. Not visible in Esys i can ping 169.254.199.99 so thats good.

In the owners car it did the same and sometimes occasionally it did boot and worked fine for that day it booted up.

I have a feeling it could be a power supply or capacitor issue. Is this something known? anyone faced the same issue?

I could maybe read the motherboard with uart or cg pro...Since i can ping the NBT i think the motherboard is fine.

Are there schemes or methods to test the other components?

Would be nice if i can sort out what the issue if this unit is. Otherwise its a great doorstopper smile
Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2022, 17:29 PM,
RE: NBT EVO no response UART?
Bootloader is damaged, repair the bootloader
25-02-2022, 22:21 PM,
The fact it does boot occasionally makes me wonder if bl is really damaged. But currently i am trying to read the v850 chip with cg pro. It is very hard to solder on the microscopic chip… to read the eeprom with cg pro. Vvdi has a better solution but cant spend another 500 euro for vvdi.
26-02-2022, 17:27 PM,
(25-02-2022, 22:21 PM)sambir Wrote:  The fact it does boot occasionally makes me wonder if bl is really damaged. But currently i am trying to read the v850 chip with cg pro. It is very hard to solder on the microscopic chip… to read the eeprom with cg pro. Vvdi has a better solution but cant spend another 500 euro for vvdi.

Why are you trying to read the v850 if you seem convinced it's a hardware issue?
Why don't you get a datasheet and grab a multimeter to trace the connections of the V850 to the card edge connector? There's no need to buy a vvdiprog just to have a fancy adapter to read a chip you *think* causes your problem while you could just as likely solder 6 wires to the card edge connector and achieve the same exact thing with your current programmer.
Nobody outside of Harman Becker has diagrams and board views for this thing. The best thing you (need to) have is datasheets, some decent testing equipments and a brain with enough technical background to be able to diagnose it, not even speaking yet of repairing it.

What I can deduce from your story being you can ping .99 but you get bootloops with 'no signal' being displayed on screen is:
-J5 seems to be alive
-Because J5 is alive your first direction shouldn't be V850
-Because it shows no signal on screen but J5 is alive it's OMAP related
-It restarts itself because the OMAP doesn't boot and kicks the watchdog

You've already started on the wrong foot.
Not wanting to bring you down entirely but realistically the chances of diagnosing and repairing this unit yourself are very slim.

Say for example if it's a flash memory problem, are you going to buy a reballing kit, a programmer and the correct adapters for it just to fix this unit? And even with all the best equipment you need need skills and experience. Ask anyone who does professional repair of headunits and they will likely tell you that the very first unit they did a hardware repair on failed and might have even left it in a state that can't be repaired anymore.

My best advice is send it off to someone who does actually repair these headunits or just buy another one but don't waste time nor money on trying to fix this yourself cause it's just bigger than you think...
28-02-2022, 15:58 PM,
(26-02-2022, 17:27 PM)Batje Wrote:  
(25-02-2022, 22:21 PM)sambir Wrote:  The fact it does boot occasionally makes me wonder if bl is really damaged. But currently i am trying to read the v850 chip with cg pro. It is very hard to solder on the microscopic chip… to read the eeprom with cg pro. Vvdi has a better solution but cant spend another 500 euro for vvdi.

Why are you trying to read the v850 if you seem convinced it's a hardware issue?
Why don't you get a datasheet and grab a multimeter to trace the connections of the V850 to the card edge connector? There's no need to buy a vvdiprog just to have a fancy adapter to read a chip you *think* causes your problem while you could just as likely solder 6 wires to the card edge connector and achieve the same exact thing with your current programmer.
Nobody outside of Harman Becker has diagrams and board views for this thing. The best thing you (need to) have is datasheets, some decent testing equipments and a brain with enough technical background to be able to diagnose it, not even speaking yet of repairing it.

What I can deduce from your story being you can ping .99 but you get bootloops with 'no signal' being displayed on screen is:
-J5 seems to be alive
-Because J5 is alive your first direction shouldn't be V850
-Because it shows no signal on screen but J5 is alive it's OMAP related
-It restarts itself because the OMAP doesn't boot and kicks the watchdog

You've already started on the wrong foot.
Not wanting to bring you down entirely but realistically the chances of diagnosing and repairing this unit yourself are very slim.

Say for example if it's a flash memory problem, are you going to buy a reballing kit, a programmer and the correct adapters for it just to fix this unit? And even with all the best equipment you need need skills and experience. Ask anyone who does professional repair of headunits and they will likely tell you that the very first unit they did a hardware repair on failed and might have even left it in a state that can't be repaired anymore.

My best advice is send it off to someone who does actually repair these headunits or just buy another one but don't waste time nor money on trying to fix this yourself cause it's just bigger than you think...

Great answer. Thanks. I did actually connect wires to the V850 but its not reading so maybe v850 has a problem. And i did notice this is just too much work for me to fix and i dont have the proper equipment for it...

If i could read the eeprom from 850 i would have a chance but it's not reading it anyhow so then it's out of my power to fix..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Entrynav2 enavevo UART pinouts Mwahab 5 1,144 15-03-2024, 17:47 PM
Last Post: pRoxxxDD
  [REQUEST] MGU22 MGU21 UART Mwahab 2 310 15-03-2024, 05:58 AM
Last Post: IZGOY
  NBT Evo HW 4.1 flashing gives SA_SK negative response RomeyRome 23 3,876 30-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: DEJMIEN
XZBMW Solved ✔ BMW f30 ,276F00 Electronic immobiliser. No authentic response received amine0xff 4 723 27-10-2022, 13:23 PM
Last Post: amine0xff
  Solved ✔ Car systems firmware update "no response from unit" Mizta Insane 12 1,809 21-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Mizta Insane