Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW Reset F series FRM3 short circuit counter?
05-07-2022, 16:04 PM,
XZBMW  BMW Reset F series FRM3 short circuit counter?
I have a problem with BMW F10 that had water in headlight and it was probably driven around with this problem for quite some time. We changed out both headlights and headlight driver modules (TMS) with new parts.

After doing that angel eyes/DLR didn't work and there was following error:
800FC8 LIN bus, headlight driver module (TMS), left: communication fault

We tried to use the initialisation feature in ISTA but that failed saying we need to replace the FRM module.

I tried coding FRM with esys and that worked, the 800FC8 error disappeared, but it was replaced with the following error:
800FC0 LWR fault in headlight driver module, left
According to ISTA, many problems can cause this error, but as we have already changed out headlights and their modules, only thing that sounds plausible to me is the following reason: frequency of short circuits too high

I have used tool32 to reset short circuit counters in E series cars FRM1 and FRM2 modules, but never in F series FRM3. As far as I understand, that's not possible using Tool32? I couldn't find any job that worked.

From what i read in different forums, it seems it is possible to reset short circuit counters in F series FRM3 by reading out dflash and modifying it or flashing someone elses dump on it? Anyone here knows how to do that? Anyone knows where I could get a F series FRM3 dump? I have xprog, not sure if that will work with F series FRM3?

Another option is to replace the FRM3 I guess? From what I read on different forums, a used FRM3 can be installed and only needs to be coded with esys. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2022, 19:03 PM,
RE: BMW Reset F series FRM3 short circuit counter?
with ista+, in the module tree, hover over the frm and you will see the version of frm you have frm_XX.prg.
go to tools32 and load the corresponding file.
then use "status_lampen_kurzschluss_counter" to see which one has a counter other than 0 and then
"steuern_lampen_kurzschlussabschaltung or_reset_kurzschluss_sperre" to reset it.
05-07-2022, 20:25 PM,
DR.GINI or Tool32

F30

Reset short circuit for FEM
STATUS_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG
STEUERN_RESET_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG
0xFF
06-07-2022, 07:11 AM,
(05-07-2022, 19:03 PM)fitacuevas Wrote:  with ista+, in the module tree, hover over the frm and you will see the version of frm you have frm_XX.prg.
go to tools32 and load the corresponding file.
then use "status_lampen_kurzschluss_counter" to see which one has a counter other than 0 and then
"steuern_lampen_kurzschlussabschaltung or_reset_kurzschluss_sperre" to reset it.

I tried all commands that had kurzschluss in them in frm_70.prg and frm_87.prg, all of them give error. frm3.prg doesn't have any commands that include the word kurzschluss.

I have read in another forum that there is a newer file frm_70.prg that has a command that works with FRM3 but I have not been able to find that file.

(05-07-2022, 20:25 PM)foxportal Wrote:  DR.GINI or Tool32

F30

Reset short circuit for FEM
STATUS_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG
STEUERN_RESET_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG
0xFF

I know about F30 and FEM_20.prg commands, but we are talking about F10 and FRM3 here...
I even checked ARG's in FRM3.prg to check if they include STATUS_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG or STEUERN_RESET_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG but they don't.
06-07-2022, 07:43 AM,
As far as I know, în F series FRM3 shortcircuit counter resets itself as soon as the fault is eliminated.
But I might be wrong, wait for other opinions.
06-07-2022, 08:29 AM,
IMHO you are overthinking this. If that fault is a new one that means that condition which caused it has/is occurring RIGHT NOW or not long ago. Definitely AFTER you deleted the previous fault. So there is no sense in trying to reset the short circuit which is still there. And after it will be fixed deleting that fault should reenable all related circuitry.

Are those part really new and original? Or TMS chinesium?
06-07-2022, 18:00 PM,
(06-07-2022, 08:29 AM)Node Wrote:  IMHO you are overthinking this. If that fault is a new one that means that condition which caused it has/is occurring RIGHT NOW or not long ago. Definitely AFTER you deleted the previous fault. So there is no sense in trying to reset the short circuit which is still there. And after it will be fixed deleting that fault should reenable all related circuitry.

Are those part really new and original? Or TMS chinesium?

Headlights and modules are new and original.

I'm quite sure the problem is in FRM. It's either fried or there is a active short circuit counter. As I said, the car was driven for years with this problem before the owner decided to fix it. 
Car owner will probably end up buying a new FRM, I will update if that resolves the problem.

If anyone knows how to check/reset short circuit counter on FRM3, then please let me know, I'm still interested in finding out if there is something that can be done in that case.
05-02-2023, 20:57 PM,
You need to reset the short circuit counter itself, not the short circuit only.
There is a arg under these commands, or search for a command with “Counter” related to short circuit, i made it many times in FEM as well.

All my knowledge is free for exchange with valuable information
Sharing->Development
  • FSC Repair kits - FSC Retrofits and Conversions Service history
  • Secure Coding 2.0 Type Key, FA, SFA, LCS Switch, SecOc, EOS Tester bypass after SME/HV Replacement
  • NBT/EVO/EntryNav2/MGU
  • MGU Carplay/Android auto W/O Telematics/CP/Patching in Middle East and Northern Africa
  • Feature Installer codes B2B
  • DME VIN ISN Working Hours IMMO OFF File and Remote Service/SWIFTEC - MG1 MD1 IMMO OFF
  • (E,F,G) 7DCT - DKG - 8HP - 6HP - EGS7 ISN Reset
  • KAFAS4 Virgin and Patching Remote
  • CAS2/3/4 Full IMMO & LOCKSMITH Customization Dump & Remote
  • HUF5663_434Mhz NO REMOTE SIGNAL FIX
  • F&G Series Headlight Customization
Visit this user's website
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Mwahab for this post
05-02-2023, 21:01 PM,
no reset in frm3 f series, is auto resetting when fault solved and off on lights

[Image: GIF-Bandiera-Italiana.gif]
06-02-2023, 19:47 PM,
(05-02-2023, 21:01 PM)____ANGEL___ Wrote:  no reset in frm3 f series, is auto resetting when fault solved and kl15 on off on

There is a counter when the number of enabling the short circuit get exceeded

All my knowledge is free for exchange with valuable information
Sharing->Development
  • FSC Repair kits - FSC Retrofits and Conversions Service history
  • Secure Coding 2.0 Type Key, FA, SFA, LCS Switch, SecOc, EOS Tester bypass after SME/HV Replacement
  • NBT/EVO/EntryNav2/MGU
  • MGU Carplay/Android auto W/O Telematics/CP/Patching in Middle East and Northern Africa
  • Feature Installer codes B2B
  • DME VIN ISN Working Hours IMMO OFF File and Remote Service/SWIFTEC - MG1 MD1 IMMO OFF
  • (E,F,G) 7DCT - DKG - 8HP - 6HP - EGS7 ISN Reset
  • KAFAS4 Virgin and Patching Remote
  • CAS2/3/4 Full IMMO & LOCKSMITH Customization Dump & Remote
  • HUF5663_434Mhz NO REMOTE SIGNAL FIX
  • F&G Series Headlight Customization
Visit this user's website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
JAlfa Help reset Alfa Mito 8DF3 bmw320d 0 18 24-04-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: bmw320d
XZBMW Solved ✔ MEVD172 Working hours reset ahmadarifai 3 140 22-04-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: ahmadarifai
XZBMW Solved ✔ MSV90 Working hour reset seohanb 0 60 18-04-2024, 05:05 AM
Last Post: seohanb
  BMW MSD81 working hours reset Spirit5676 4 138 16-04-2024, 20:18 PM
Last Post: bboctavian
XZBMW BMW Z4 FRM reset Kenny 6 804 28-03-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: pepi
PCitroen How to use a cheap CH341a programmer to read 95160 95xxx series eeproms MR2CHIPS 5 9,297 23-03-2024, 15:33 PM
Last Post: lsdlsd88
XZBMW BMW FRM 2 REPAIR e87 1 series Black Alien 1 157 04-02-2024, 08:51 AM
Last Post: sixcode
  E 71 MEVD17.2 RESET WORKING HOURS TO 0 klisenko 0 121 27-01-2024, 16:29 PM
Last Post: klisenko
  frm3 bmw Aldi 4 241 11-01-2024, 15:41 PM
Last Post: Gabriel87
XZBMW Solved ✔ how do i delete bmw g series key deutsch 3 228 22-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: deutsch