Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Your opinion when to replace oil in transmission, transfer case, differentials
04-06-2022, 18:35 PM,
0Engine  RE: Your opinion when to replace oil in transmission, transfer case, differentials
(04-06-2022, 14:37 PM)masa52 Wrote:  changing in every car I had
proper oil is not expensive if you know which one

Swag and shall or??
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2022, 19:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 19:26 PM by masa52.)
RE: Your opinion when to replace oil in transmission, transfer case, differentials
(04-06-2022, 18:35 PM)bmwlover Wrote:  

Swag and shall or??

??

(04-06-2022, 15:22 PM)Node Wrote:  
(04-06-2022, 15:03 PM)masa52 Wrote:  all oils wear or get old that's true!!!
your choice change or not change
simply like that

That's lamer talk. Define "oil wear" and "get old" chemically. Then we can discuss in what amount or time frame "that's true".

lamer's is your talk btw
don't offend me if I don't you but I can start
04-06-2022, 20:02 PM,
RE: Your opinion when to replace oil in transmission, transfer case, differentials
The fact that there are transmission failures with new fluid, unchanged old fluid, and even a few thousand km after production proves more that it isn't so much related to the fluid, but rather something else.
I think many do it because it's something you can actually feel you have control over, or because a shop said to do it... Or the ZF website said so.

That being said, I changed the fluids, but without the thought that this would actually guarantee a longer life. There probably is some benefit to fresh fluids. I don't think there will be solid proof, or else these debates wouldn't exist.

While there, change aged mechatronics seals for the best results.
04-06-2022, 20:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 20:52 PM by bmwlover.)
(04-06-2022, 19:20 PM)masa52 Wrote:  
(04-06-2022, 18:35 PM)bmwlover Wrote:  

Swag and shall or??

??

(04-06-2022, 15:22 PM)Node Wrote:  
(04-06-2022, 15:03 PM)masa52 Wrote:  all oils wear or get old that's true!!!
your choice change or not change
simply like that

That's lamer talk. Define "oil wear" and "get old" chemically. Then we can discuss in what amount or time frame "that's true".

lamer's is your talk btw
don't offend me if I don't you but I can start
On which brands are you talking about?
Shell makes for transfer case. What about others?

(04-06-2022, 20:02 PM)Enabled Wrote:  The fact that there are transmission failures with new fluid, unchanged old fluid, and even a few thousand km after production proves more that it isn't so much related to the fluid, but rather something else.
I think many do it because it's something you can actually feel you have control over, or because a shop said to do it... Or the ZF website said so.

That being said, I changed the fluids, but without the thought that this would actually guarantee a longer life. There probably is some benefit to fresh fluids. I don't think there will be solid proof, or else these debates wouldn't exist.

You are saying, if you want to change oil in engine, why do not you change other parts in engine.. If mechatronics are bad, must be changed but I have not seen bad mechatronics on 70-100 miles. But I think that 70+ miles is bad for the oil and need to change. Why think so? Car started late shifting.
04-06-2022, 21:11 PM,
Late shifting just CAN'T be caused by degraded fluid. Jerky, harsh shifting, bumping into gears - yes, but only as a side symptom of an otherwise worn transmission.

Why? One of the functions of the fluid is to transfer pressure between solenoids to clutch packs. Fluid is not compressible so it transfers that IRRESPECTIVELY of whether it is new or old. Old fluid just CAN'T SUDDENLY become compressible. That is IMPOSSIBLE PHYSICALLY. So either clutch packs got damaged or solenoids (or something in between like seals) started leaking. Fluid change could probably MASK it for a while as new fluid will be a bit more viscous, so will leak somewhat less, but NOT FOR LONG. But the symptom of that will be HARSH, not late shifting.

If your gear changes are nice, not harsh at all, just being done too late - I would bet EGS just decided to switch to one of slow shifting programs. Like driving on ice, or pulling a trailer. It happens. Delete the adaptations, perform adaptation procedure and most probably it will be fixed. If not - one or more of solenoids could be sticking, but fluid change will not fix it (again, it could MASK it for A WHILE).
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
04-06-2022, 22:42 PM,
my recommended service intervals for non-M
transmission oil service = after transmission is repaired.
transfer case = when transfer box is repaired, or when the FC is stored
differentials = when differential is repaired

if you get 100k miles on these units without service that is great.
changing the fluid is wasteful and usually does not extend the life.

04-06-2022, 23:53 PM,
(04-06-2022, 20:39 PM)bmwlover Wrote:  
(04-06-2022, 20:02 PM)Enabled Wrote:  The fact that there are transmission failures with new fluid, unchanged old fluid, and even a few thousand km after production proves more that it isn't so much related to the fluid, but rather something else.

You are saying, if you want to change oil in engine, why do not you change other parts in engine.. If mechatronics are bad, must be changed but I have not seen bad mechatronics on 70-100 miles. But I think that 70+ miles is bad for the oil and need to change. Why think so? Car started late shifting.

Well you took that and twisted it quite a bit. A few seals around the exact area you are working in is just a very good opportunity on older cars. It's not an area that you go into often. It's not about broken mechatronics.

It sounds like you made up your mind, go ahead and change it. Nothing wrong doing something you are determined to do, as long as it doesn't cost you excessively.
05-06-2022, 00:38 AM,
I bought my E83 new, changed the transmission fluid 12 years later at 56000miles, the difference was drastic. Shifting was instantly so smooth to the point that I was wondering if the gears were even changing.
I also changed the transfer case and front & rear differential fluids. There was a color difference between the old and new fluid, but otherwise I didn't feel any difference while driving.

Changing the fluids won't do any harm at the end of the day. Not changing them may not do any harm either as many of you have experienced. It's all just a matter of personal preference I guess.
05-06-2022, 07:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 07:19 AM by bmwlover.)
(04-06-2022, 22:42 PM)bmchicago Wrote:  my recommended service intervals for non-M
transmission oil service = after transmission is repaired.
transfer case = when transfer box is repaired, or when the FC is stored
differentials = when differential is repaired

if you get 100k miles on these units without service that is great.
changing the fluid is wasteful and usually does not extend the life.

E53 m54, now 200000miles and differential and tranafer case never replaced never serviced. Only oil changes. So do not agree.

(04-06-2022, 23:53 PM)Enabled Wrote:  It sounds like you made up your mind, go ahead and change it. Nothing wrong doing something you are determined to do, as long as it doesn't cost you excessively.

Not my car, I am collecting other people's experience for customer's cars.
06-06-2022, 00:48 AM,
Ah, I see. I think it's a good way to have customers pay for a service, that's for sure. ZF website lists an oil service interval for the 8HP; I guess it's one point of reference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pulling both paddles put transmission into neutral coding tintoverano 1 142 22-04-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: raresh.tazz
  BMW F01 cannot do activation for transfer box vlad33 2 163 18-04-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: hicazkar
XZBMW BMW X1 U11 Valeo / Magna Transmission read ISN Emmy 0 166 20-02-2024, 15:30 PM
Last Post: Emmy
  VPN Remote coding with Radmin VPN (Replace Teamview VPN) laquangksxd 14 2,845 05-01-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: EcuSoftFile
XZBMW Solved ✔ Solved: G07 LCI USA replace ECE tail light. karlmarx04 1 407 22-11-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: laquangksxd
  8HP50Z Transmission It3_Magic 1 238 06-11-2023, 16:18 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW f30 manual transmission sport + esys redog4dy 8 678 11-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: redog4dy
  Replace agm with standart bmwlover 12 741 10-09-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: bmwlover
  F20 HK AMP replace XuLeTZ 1 227 30-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Siki78
XZBMW N43 EGR / AGR replace sascha870 5 617 24-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: tonemoz