Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

Which power supply for programming
15-03-2017, 10:03 AM,
RE: Which power supply for programming
I just ordered gysflash 100-12hf for 550€ delivered here in Lithuania (found a local company which sells gys welding stuff and they agreed to deliver the charger) as I needed the second PSU. Don't think I can buy Schumacher cheaper than that. Does you home-built one has limiting current mode and supports automatic battery charging?
15-03-2017, 11:46 AM,
(15-03-2017, 10:03 AM)Node Wrote:  I just ordered gysflash 100-12hf for 550€ delivered here in Lithuania (found a local company which sells gys welding stuff and they agreed to deliver the charger) as I needed the second PSU. Don't think I can buy Schumacher cheaper than that. Does you home-built one has limiting current mode and supports automatic battery charging?

The topic of this thread is PSUs, so my home made device is a PSU, not a charger! I have a separate trickle charger for my LifePO4 battery (the F8x have special lithium phosphate batteries and require a special charger or one that is very configurable)
17-03-2017, 16:57 PM,
(15-06-2016, 09:19 AM)14TLC Wrote:  Looking for decent power supply for programming purposes. What are you using and what can you recommend?

For occasional use a cheap DIY PSU (stable, modified computer server PSU 1570Watt, approx. 100A !) can do the job. BMW recommended ones for the workshop are very expensive professional appliances. I've added a comprehensive tutorial how to build one intended for experienced electronics hobbyists.

Attached Files
Delta DPS 1570 KD175 modded power supply.pdf
File Type: .pdf
Downloaded: 287 times
Size: 3.95 MB

[+] 23 users say Thank You to Temrotec for this post
17-03-2017, 18:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017, 18:10 PM by Node.)
The main problem with all these DIY solutions as I see it is that output voltage is fixed. Given the currents vary in great range the voltage drop on the cables also varies much and so the voltage at the car. So either cables need to be very short AND thick (very impractical) AND clamps need to be of very high quality or voltage at the car varies too much for my comfort. Professional PSUs I've seen (gysflash 100-12hf included, according to their manual, which immediately tells me they have quality product) automatically correct output voltages based on cable characteristics and current consumption so voltage at the car stays more or less stable. No pun intended, but I think people considering DIY should know that.
17-03-2017, 18:27 PM,
(17-03-2017, 18:05 PM)Node Wrote:  The main problem with all these DIY solutions as I see it is that output voltage is fixed. Given the currents vary in great range the voltage drop on the cables also varies much and so the voltage at the car. So either cables need to be very short AND thick (very impractical) AND clamps need to be of very high quality or voltage at the car varies too much for my comfort. Professional PSUs I've seen (gysflash 100-12hf included, according to their manual, which immediately tells me they have quality product) automatically correct output voltages based on cable characteristics and current consumption so voltage at the car stays more or less stable. No pun intended, but I think people considering DIY should know that.
No pun intended but you are wrong. smile
17-03-2017, 19:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017, 20:17 PM by JarsaR.)
Hey,

Gysflash 100-12HF, High quality product, And trough Abrites website, one can have it
for a very reasonable price! yes

Link under

Edit. Post: #89 Cheaper link than mine. smile

Attached Files
GYSFLAS 100-12HF.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 74 times
Size: 87 bytes

18-03-2017, 11:14 AM,
Has anyone on 120 VAC tried the IOTA DLS series power supplies?

From their manual, "IOTA DLS Series Power Converter/Battery Chargers convert 120 volts nominal A.C. to 13.6 volts D.C. As a power supply, its tightly controlled regulation allows the user to operate any 12 volt nominal D.C. load up to the converter’s rated output current. As a battery charger, the converter will maintain the battery, delivering its full-rated current when the battery capacity falls sufficiently low."

13.6 VDC is too low, but the two-step voltage jack appears to allow some customization:
"The two-step voltage jack allows switching from a long-term float voltage of 13.6vdc to a ‘high-stage’ voltage of 14.2vdc. When the included dual voltage plug is inserted in the jack*, the voltage rises to 14.2vdc for occasional fast charging. When the plug is removed, the voltage drops to 13.6vdc to reduce battery water loss."

Attached Files
IOTO Engineering.txt
File Type: .txt
Downloaded: 24 times
Size: 40 bytes

18-03-2017, 12:58 PM,
(17-03-2017, 18:05 PM)Node Wrote:  The main problem with all these DIY solutions as I see it is that output voltage is fixed. Given the currents vary in great range the voltage drop on the cables also varies much and so the voltage at the car. So either cables need to be very short AND thick (very impractical) AND clamps need to be of very high quality or voltage at the car varies too much for my comfort. Professional PSUs I've seen (gysflash 100-12hf included, according to their manual, which immediately tells me they have quality product) automatically correct output voltages based on cable characteristics and current consumption so voltage at the car stays more or less stable. No pun intended, but I think people considering DIY should know that.

For professional use in the workshop you are right and youshould spend a lot of money. But what about a hobbyist looking around in a forum? Visiting the car dealer instead of buying a PowerMax™, Schumacher™ (US) or Deutronic™, Eltek™ (EU-De) or Gys™ (EU-Fr)could be the best option.

I know that a professional type like a Gysflash won't give the pittfalls of a DIY PSU but the tutorial I've made takes attention of the critical control points to make. Rock solid connections (binding post connected over copper bars (!) and massive chargings cables to connect the car provokes only a minimal voltage drop (about 0.15 VDC) at the clamps running the PSU at 67 Ampere, as proved with some measurements made (see added pictures at the end of the manual) and using a professional, calibrated multimeter. Even the sound level meter used is a higly professional one (= massive overkill for DIY, I know and I know Ohms law regarding the importance of resistance of cables as well).
In practice the described PSU copes very well, not running hot and not dropping the voltage at high currents.

Best regards
[+] 5 users say Thank You to Temrotec for this post
18-03-2017, 15:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017, 15:31 PM by Node.)
Well, yes, you need to pay attention to all the details. But frankly, where do you get that price range for Gysflash in your doc? You say min 750€, but I've ordered mine new shipped to Lithuania at 550€. Now can you tell frankly how much your DIY cost? Cables, voltmeter, ampmeter, clamps... I had a look at the catalogue prices, took cheapest I found and the total is easily over 300€. Plus PSU price and all those other things inside. I would say your project should have cost of over 400€. Not that big difference at all. And a week of tinkering time saved smile And also all those features like current limiting (I will use it for my other projects) and automatic battery charging are not there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Of course doing without volts and amps displays would be much cheaper. I was thinking about doing one DIY myself, but then I've read about gysflash here and at that price I decided very quickly. Have not received it yet, so judging about it by the manual only yet.
18-03-2017, 16:20 PM,
(18-03-2017, 15:25 PM)Node Wrote:  Now can you tell frankly how much your DIY cost? Cables, voltmeter, ampmeter, clamps... I had a look at the catalogue prices, took cheapest I found and the total is easily over 300€.

Have no idea where you are searching for but this DIY project is at most 100Euros (I consider OVERPRICED at this value smile )
VAMeters are sold in China for 10-12USD ! (100A shunt included)
WELDING cables and clamps are not so expensive.

It works the same as your BRAND named PSU, for a fraction of the cost.
[+] 5 users say Thank You to Marcos for this post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
XZBMW bmw e90 a731 terminal 30g_f idrive no power mercuris 5 239 23-03-2024, 16:03 PM
Last Post: mercuris
ZSkoda Solved ✔ ISTA Standalone WLAN programming botho 4 392 21-03-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: botho
XZBMW F15 Programming Error mcrussell 7 459 20-03-2024, 05:38 AM
Last Post: SweetBMW
XZBMW BMW X6 E71 Programming Ryzen 5 274 16-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Node
  Power supply for coding flashing kklobo 14 978 29-02-2024, 08:37 AM
Last Post: nBlacky
XZBMW F30 B48 power class change dominpl 1 198 26-02-2024, 18:05 PM
Last Post: ben1978
XZBMW problem with flashing CHAMP2 module (the programming dependencies are not correct) azwgh 17 846 11-02-2024, 19:39 PM
Last Post: azwgh
XZBMW Solved ✔ F10 535i engine power loss 15mph, DME issue? Nixer 17 924 28-01-2024, 16:26 PM
Last Post: maksymw
  BMW F48 X1 iDrive will not power off when locking - SOLUTION BimmerSLO 3 317 10-01-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Powerlab
  AOS ISTA reinstall not working: no programming data tintoverano 2 356 07-01-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: DarkSide