Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW AOS - programming data location
09-09-2023, 19:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2023, 19:35 PM by diagso.)
BMW AOS - programming data location
Hi All,

It drives me crazy when AOS ISTA takes ages to download necessary files for car programing.

I just wonder if I can unpack PSDZdata full to the location where ISTA AOS is downloading the data ? Generally I would like to skip downloading process and already place programing data in relevant folder for ISTA AOS to pick them up and start programming.

Nevermind I found it, just had to many versions of ISTA (iLean,AOS and standlaone installed on this particular laptop. Let's if my idea will work smile
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2023, 01:04 AM,
RE: BMW AOS - programming data location
C:\ProgramData\BMW\ISTA\ProgrammingData\psdzdata

ProgramData is hidden dir.

BMW 5 Series and Audi Q4 e-tron user.
If it helps, please give rep yes , thanks!
[+] 2 users say Thank You to rocdeng for this post
11-09-2023, 16:41 PM,
(09-09-2023, 19:07 PM)diagso Wrote:  Hi All,

It drives me crazy when AOS ISTA takes ages to download necessary files for car programing.

I just wonder if I can unpack PSDZdata full to the location where ISTA AOS is downloading the data ? Generally I would like to skip downloading process and already place programing data in relevant folder for ISTA AOS to pick them up and start programming.

Nevermind I found it, just had to many versions of ISTA (iLean,AOS and standlaone installed on this particular laptop. Let's if my idea will work smile

Let us know how you get on.
11-09-2023, 19:25 PM,

"C:\EC-APPS\ISTA\PSdZ\data_swi"
11-09-2023, 19:45 PM,
(11-09-2023, 19:25 PM)DarkSide Wrote:  

"C:\EC-APPS\ISTA\PSdZ\data_swi"

That is DEFINETELY NOT where AOS ISTA stores it's data.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Node for this post
15-09-2023, 18:32 PM,
AOS Ista on PC is small, programming data, databases and languages I can't find them on local PC

BMW F10 530d 0911
Retrofit 223 245 248 2VB 2ND 316 337 4M5 416  ->451/488-->456 453 465 494 496 552 5AD 5AE 5AG NBT 654 FM2 610 620[CIC] 688 6NR 6WA & 6WB715 760 8TH-KAFAS2-FSC KeyFOB Mperformance Gxx Series

15-09-2023, 19:35 PM,
Correct answer is: there are NEITHER programming data nor "databases and languages" with AOS ISTA. Everything comes from BMW servers as needed. Only application itself, diag database are installed with ISTA. "PSdZ data lite" is installed separately.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Node for this post
17-09-2023, 13:37 PM,
(15-09-2023, 19:35 PM)Node Wrote:  Correct answer is: there are NEITHER programming data nor "databases and languages" with AOS ISTA. Everything comes from BMW servers as needed. Only application itself, diag database are installed with ISTA. "PSdZ data lite" is installed separately.

Please double check as I can see files downloaded from ISTA AOS in programming folder. Programing data package from AOS after installation is around 13,3GB. Mine is around 30GB (after doing few cars)  and I can see other folders populated with files (I'm not referring to empty folder that are ther fresh after install) outside of cafd.
17-09-2023, 15:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-09-2023, 15:38 PM by Node.)
What should I double check exactly? I said everything comes from BMW servers. What is wrong with that? Of course programming data is too big to just download and forget so its saved into the respective place, but it is NOT installed with setup. Anyway I replied to BMWzone!

I have now looked into your original question, so...

I don't use AOS ISTA for flashing as that is a waste of money. But it should work to extract full package in there as ISTA uses same PSdZ engine as ESys and AFAIK AOS ISTA it does procedure similar to "check programming files availability" in ESys. Then it gets list of missing files and downloads them. All other plumbing files are installed via setup.

I would just be careful to extract SAME version of programming files otherwise it could cause license issues or wrong iStep written into car...

P.S. The path to the data is stored in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\BMWGroupAOS\ISPI\Rheingold\BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath which by default is C:\ProgramData\BMW\ISTA\ProgrammingData
17-09-2023, 19:54 PM,
(17-09-2023, 15:36 PM)Node Wrote:  What should I double check exactly? I said everything comes from BMW servers. What is wrong with that? Of course programming data is too big to just download and forget so its saved into the respective place, but it is NOT installed with setup. Anyway I replied to BMWzone!

I have now looked into your original question, so...

I don't use AOS ISTA for flashing as that is a waste of money. But it should work to extract full package in there as ISTA uses same PSdZ engine as ESys and AFAIK AOS ISTA it does procedure similar to "check programming files availability" in ESys. Then it gets list of missing files and downloads them. All other plumbing files are installed via setup.

I would just be careful to extract SAME version of programming files otherwise it could cause license issues or wrong iStep written into car...

P.S. The path to the data is stored in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\BMWGroupAOS\ISPI\Rheingold\BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath which by default is C:\ProgramData\BMW\ISTA\ProgrammingData

Well that's kind of obvious that everything comes from servers and there's no way that 4GB msi can be decompressed to 240GB+ which is +/- current size of psdzdata. I think I kind of misunderstood you're answers in the first place, as it was not clear for me to whom you're responding.

Well sometimes there's no way around it and AOS is the way to go or customer wants it to be online update. But I want to speed up this process as it drives me crazy when I do it at customer location in the middle of nowhere. I could do esys TAL first and then jump into the AOS, but I don't want to flash ECU's twice if I don't need to. I prefer to have offline already plus ISTA pulling data that are missing.

I tried mklink to AOS programing data (only swe folder) from standalone and worked just fine for S18A car.  I believe if your are going with files in same psdzdata range f.e. 4.42.X you'll be fine. But it's only an assumption since I just did one car so far with let's called spoofed psdzdata.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
ZSkoda Solved ✔ ISTA Standalone WLAN programming botho 4 387 21-03-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: botho
XZBMW F15 Programming Error mcrussell 7 454 20-03-2024, 05:38 AM
Last Post: SweetBMW
XZBMW BMW X6 E71 Programming Ryzen 5 270 16-03-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW 1F2108 DME incorrect data record ,variant monitoring prikitiew 2 206 16-03-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: prikitiew
  ISTA-D 4.46.14 ALL DATA --MEGA et780819 3 1,126 08-03-2024, 00:47 AM
Last Post: rocdeng
  'Data on USB device unusable' id4 to id6 conversion claw 7 335 04-03-2024, 15:40 PM
Last Post: dasi
XZBMW NBT EVO from MINI, HW 5.1, Data 20/21 with GPS ppbarsrd 6 506 16-02-2024, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Siki78
XZBMW problem with flashing CHAMP2 module (the programming dependencies are not correct) azwgh 17 843 11-02-2024, 19:39 PM
Last Post: azwgh
  F20 FEM problem data lost alexturbo 8 372 04-02-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alexturbo
XZBMW Entrynav2 - GPS doesn't work - no location Semi14 4 475 24-01-2024, 16:31 PM
Last Post: Semi14