Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now яёgїsтядтїои cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]
BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
|
13-05-2026, 05:04 AM,
Post: #1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Hi everyone,
I'm working on a BMW E46 with the M54B30 engine (Double VANOS, single housing). I've been diagnosing this for a few days and I'm stuck – hoping someone with hands-on experience can point me in the right direction. The problem: Both VANOS units are completely inactive. Values in INPA are frozen – intake shows approximately +206° and exhaust approximately −105° – and neither changes at any RPM, including when blipping the throttle. The only fault code stored is the exhaust camshaft position sensor (CMP). What I've already done and checked:
My questions:
Any help or experience with this specific failure pattern would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep
![]() |
|||
|
13-05-2026, 06:40 AM,
Post: #2
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
check the out put of all 3 sensors, cams + crank, is the cam timing 100% correct, reassembled with cam locking tools?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks |
|||
|
13-05-2026, 08:36 AM,
Post: #3
|
|||
|
|||
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
(13-05-2026, 06:40 AM)Liteace Wrote: check the out put of all 3 sensors, cams + crank, is the cam timing 100% correct, reassembled with cam locking tools? Regarding the sensor outputs – I don't have access to an oscilloscope, so I haven't been able to check the waveforms properly. As for the cam timing – I have to be honest here. I did not use cam locking tools during the VANOS reassembly, and I have not verified the cam timing since putting it back together. I was not aware this was strictly necessary for this job. Could this alone explain all the symptoms – the exhaust CMP fault appearing immediately on startup, the DME outputting DC instead of PWM, and both VANOS values being frozen? If so, is there a way to verify cam timing without the locking tools, for example by checking the reference marks at TDC? If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep
![]() |
|||
|
13-05-2026, 08:52 AM,
Post: #4
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
Has anyone seen a case where the DME itself caused this – stuck in fallback, refusing to output PWM even with everything else correct? YES
|
|||
|
13-05-2026, 10:10 AM,
Post: #5
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
Looks like timing is without specs
|
|||
|
13-05-2026, 10:29 AM,
Post: #6
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
For starters share the exact faultcode you are getting on the exhaust camshaft sensor, also how do you expect vanos to work when it can’t see the position of the exhaust camshaft due to a faultcode? It can’t adjust if it doesn’t know the position of it…
|
|||
|
13-05-2026, 15:40 PM,
Post: #7
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
Fault code and signal from exhaust cmp sensor
If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep
![]() |
|||
|
13-05-2026, 17:37 PM,
Post: #8
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
Added one more oscilloscope capture with all 3 sensors simultaneously at 20ms/div:
CH1 (pink, top) → crankshaft (CKP) – dense regular pattern as expected CH2 (cyan, bottom) → intake cam (CMP) CH3 (yellow, bottom) → exhaust cam (CMP) Both cam sensors show clean rectangular signals with different pulse widths relative to each other. All 3 sensors are alive. Can anyone confirm if the phase relationship between the cam signals looks correct for M54B30, or does it suggest a timing issue? If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep
![]() |
|||
|
13-05-2026, 17:43 PM,
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2026, 17:43 PM by Node.)
Post: #9
|
|||
|
|||
|
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
Well, your code clearly says exhaust camshaft sensor SIGNAL IMPLAUSIBLE. I have no idea how anyone can properly assemble BMW engines WITHOUT locking tools...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein.
|
|||
|
13-05-2026, 17:52 PM,
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2026, 18:02 PM by lustek.)
Post: #10
|
|||
|
|||
RE: BMW E46 M54B30 Double VANOS not working after full rebuild – exhaust cam sensor fault
(13-05-2026, 17:43 PM)Node Wrote: Well, your code clearly says exhaust camshaft sensor SIGNAL IMPLAUSIBLE. I have no idea how anyone can properly assemble BMW engines WITHOUT locking tools... I remove only vanos unit, not timing. I dont touch this guys Also same fault was present before vanos rebuild If I helped, please magic buttons thx+rep
![]() |
|||
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)
1 Guest(s)
Return to TopReturn to Content




