Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW OEM ICOM direct connection to car = no internet
07-11-2022, 14:15 PM,
XZBMW  BMW OEM ICOM direct connection to car = no internet
Hey there. Please can anyone help ? I have no problem to pay for help by the way if someone want.

Simple: OEM ICOM NEXT - when I connect directly Laptop <-> ICOM via Ethernet (RJ45) which is connected to car, then sometimes internet on Wi-Fi stopped working. Says it is connected but no internet. Please is there any trick how to use newest ISTA+newest ICOM firmware and have also internet via WI-FI when I’m connected directly to car? Sometimes I need to help someone’s car in outside on street and can’t connect via router which will have also internet.
Photo is just for illustration…
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2022, 14:27 PM,
RE: BMW OEM ICOM direct connection to car = no internet
I think the solution is in the network settings!

What system are you using?

Vojnó
Press Thanks and reputation under if this post helped you. 
07-11-2022, 14:32 PM,
Maybe it is a BIOS setting. Look for option "LAN/WLAN commutation".
07-11-2022, 16:11 PM,
Windows 10
It did on all PCs and laptops and all ICOMs
Using six ICOMs, only OEM. Newest Firmware and also ISTA
How can I manage that stupid Windows should use internet via WIFI and LAN should use only for LAN things but not internet. There are some priority settings or i dont know? sad
07-11-2022, 16:24 PM,
Usually, it's not windows which are stupid. But rather a user smile You can change everything you can on other systems (like linux, but frequently much easier). Windows SHOULD choose the best route for internet.

That said, does your computer switch off WiFi completely when you plug ICOM in? If yes - it's not up to windows. Look in the BIOS or some utility from computer manufacturer.

If not (Wifi is still active, just not used for internet): are your windows customized to death? Like disabling "not needed" services and similar... In this case windows may not understand over which interfaces internet is accessible.

Last, if windows are stock but it still does not work properly, you need to check interface metric. Open powershell or command prompt and execute "route print" command. You will see much information. What you are looking for is IPv4 routing table. There you will see active routes. For the internet you look for default route which will look like this (0.0.0.0 destination):
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.130 192.168.1.139 15

Now it depends whether you have MULTIPLE routes with 0.0.0.0 destination or you have SINGLE one, but gateway or interface points to ICOM connection.

Generally, if you have multiple you will need to change interface metric so wifi has lower (normally wifi has higher, so wired connection takes precedence). If you have single but wrong, you will need to change route.

Let me know which case you have. Or better paste whole IPv4 routing table.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
07-11-2022, 16:41 PM,
(07-11-2022, 16:24 PM)Node Wrote:  Usually, it's not windows which are stupid. But rather a user smile You can change everything you can on other systems (like linux, but frequently much easier). Windows SHOULD choose the best route for internet.

That said, does your computer switch off WiFi completely when you plug ICOM in? If yes - it's not up to windows. Look in the BIOS or some utility from computer manufacturer.

If not (Wifi is still active, just not used for internet): are your windows customized to death? Like disabling "not needed" services and similar... In this case windows may not understand over which interfaces internet is accessible.

Last, if windows are stock but it still does not work properly, you need to check interface metric. Open powershell or command prompt and execute "route print" command. You will see much information. What you are looking for is IPv4 routing table. There you will see active routes. For the internet you look for default route which will look like this (0.0.0.0 destination):
         0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.130    192.168.1.139     15

Now it depends whether you have MULTIPLE routes with 0.0.0.0 destination or you have SINGLE one, but gateway or interface points to ICOM connection.

Generally, if you have multiple you will need to change interface metric so wifi has lower (normally wifi has higher, so wired connection takes precedence). If you have single but wrong, you will need to change route.

You’re nailed.
07-11-2022, 22:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 23:15 PM by kubaskl.)

(07-11-2022, 16:24 PM)Node Wrote:  Usually, it's not windows which are stupid. But rather a user smile You can change everything you can on other systems (like linux, but frequently much easier). Windows SHOULD choose the best route for internet.

0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.130    192.168.1.139     15

Hello, thank you for your effort.
Wifi is not switched off completelly. I have few laptops, some Dells Latitude 7290/7300, some HP EliteBook 2021.
WIfi is still active. Im accessing those computers through internet remotelly with software like RemotePC / TeamViewer and more. I have payed licences.

Windows are all of them Windows 10. Builds 21H1/21H2

All of those computers did this. I heard about this problem from many people about this internet problem. Same is happening when I used AOS online ISTA official.

I really want to do this "print" command, but problem is that I cant, because when someone connect ICOM to computer via cable, I lost connection of course. I was calling to that friend and he cant load any page in internet browser like google and anything else.
So i told him to disconnect ICOM from RJ45 of laptop and internet went OK immediately. But WIFI is still connected without any notification of problem of it.

Windows which I installed on all of these laptops is clean, official. But because of Microsoft often problem of "updates" i blocked Windows Updates via registry, stoped service for it and also did the same for defender. These laptops are used only for diagnose.

I dont know, how to easy set that wifi is for internet and ethernet rj45 is just for LAN or ICOM.

Sometimes it works, i connect ICOM directly CAR<->ICOM<->Laptop and internet works OK. But often not. I dont know why... sad

I will try in that case to tell friend to launch PowerShell next time, do this command and make photo of it for me.

Generally - how to set that wifi should have priority for wifi for internet? Because if i want to prioritise the LAN, i will just disconnect from wifi - simple.

And another information which i forget to add. I was affraid to change Metric about ethernet/wifi adapter settings. Because i need it also for best quality connection to car to have it stable and 100percent reliability of connection when flashing ecus through ICOM. I dont want to mess omething to have unstable and weak connection. I dont want that flashing will be disrupted. I was studing IT 10years back, but i forgot lot of it [Image: biggrin.gif] and network is one of my weak points. So i dont know what is metric exactly for.
08-11-2022, 01:14 AM,
You can give the ICOM a "static" IP address (169.254.92.XX) and adjust network settings accordingly.
Then the internet& Wifi should not cut out when you connect the ICOM directly.
08-11-2022, 06:30 AM,
Your dell check the bios settings had the same and could disable lan/wlan switching in bios settings.
08-11-2022, 07:34 AM,
(07-11-2022, 22:54 PM)kubaskl Wrote:  Generally - how to set that wifi should have priority for wifi for internet? Because if i want to prioritise the LAN, i will just disconnect from wifi - simple.

And another information which i forget to add. I was affraid to change Metric about ethernet/wifi adapter settings. Because i need it also for best quality connection to car to have it stable and 100percent reliability of connection when flashing ecus through ICOM. I dont want to mess omething to have unstable and weak connection. I dont want that flashing will be disrupted. I was studing IT 10years back, but i forgot lot of it [Image: biggrin.gif] and network is one of my weak points. So i dont know what is metric exactly for.

Metric is used for ONE thing only - select which interface has priority. Nothing to do with connection stability or anything else. It's like a "cost" of transmitting a packet over the specified interface. TCPIP layer is programmed to look for lowest cost interface. Normally hardwired interfaces have same or lower metric. In your case my feeling is you either need to increase the metric for LAN or decrease for WiFi.

That won't impact ICOM connection at all IF all other network parameters are CORRECT - ip addresses/netmasks not overlapping, etc. Because packets will be sent to ICOM to it's IP directly. Default route is only used when no other route matches the destination.

But IF you want to change a metric number for only one interface you need to know what number is assigned to them now. And that depends on network card drivers too. Hence that command.

Alternatively, you could just set metric for BOTH interfaces making sure you set a smaller number for WiFi.

BUT FRANKLY, just connect a router or a switch between ICOM and computer and use SAME interface for BOTH internet and car... Much easier and less hassle.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MGU Bench connection kimz 4 477 22-04-2024, 17:06 PM
Last Post: kimz
  Carplay loses connection marcospoffo 2 236 19-04-2024, 19:44 PM
Last Post: marcospoffo
  [MEGA] Any ESYS Editions + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 105 36,108 17-04-2024, 18:36 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
XZBMW ICOM Firmware (NEXT & A2) always current! Vojno 206 43,351 12-04-2024, 23:36 PM
Last Post: bennymx
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 3 333 12-04-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW SSH Connection Failure on NBT - Initialize HDD Billyjoe69 3 219 05-04-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: RuleNormaliai
  Test bench Connection to CAN ECU's HaakonA 3 313 03-04-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: sixcode
  Solved ✔ ICOM NEXT Error bmwcare 4 2,493 01-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: ivanp
  CCC flash WINKFP ICOM BimmerSLO 9 373 29-03-2024, 19:17 PM
Last Post: Hoborg
  I020 esys connection issue mcrussell 6 326 25-03-2024, 23:35 PM
Last Post: vanos