Unfortunately we do not accept new members for free, Now Registration cost 30€, if you are interesting Send Email to [email protected]

BMW OEM ICOM direct connection to car = no internet
08-11-2022, 09:13 AM,
RE: BMW OEM ICOM direct connection to car = no internet
I have found by setting the WIFI to Metric "1" & leaving the LAN metric to Auto solved all my issues with los of Internet whilst using AOS
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2022, 09:58 AM,
Oh. That is kinda nuclear option smile 1 of course will work, but if you ever need VPN or something, you have left no space for it biggrin
08-11-2022, 15:02 PM,
(08-11-2022, 09:13 AM)mcrussell Wrote:  I have found by setting the WIFI to Metric "1" & leaving the LAN metric to Auto solved all my issues with los of Internet whilst using AOS

A couple of months back I finally found out this was the only way to get it to work.

As it's just a diagnostics laptop it's no issue for me.
08-11-2022, 15:27 PM,
I think that the problem is in everyone's favorite setting for addressing 169.254.92.38
08-11-2022, 15:32 PM,
(08-11-2022, 15:02 PM)GoNz0- Wrote:  
(08-11-2022, 09:13 AM)mcrussell Wrote:  I have found by setting the WIFI to Metric "1" & leaving the LAN metric to Auto solved all my issues with los of Internet whilst using AOS

A couple of months back I finally found out this was the only way to get it to work.

As it's just a diagnostics laptop it's no issue for me.

If the other metric is 15 (as is on my computer), you could set it to 14 and everything would still work the same. Of course I've seen stupid drivers which set default metric to 2. Then it's MUCH better to increase your wired metric.

As there is no difference in the desired outcome, why break things?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Node for this post
08-11-2022, 21:32 PM,
(08-11-2022, 07:34 AM)Node Wrote:  
(07-11-2022, 22:54 PM)kubaskl Wrote:  Generally - how to set that wifi should have priority for wifi for internet? Because if i want to prioritise the LAN, i will just disconnect from wifi - simple.

And another information which i forget to add. I was affraid to change Metric about ethernet/wifi adapter settings. Because i need it also for best quality connection to car to have it stable and 100percent reliability of connection when flashing ecus through ICOM. I dont want to mess omething to have unstable and weak connection. I dont want that flashing will be disrupted. I was studing IT 10years back, but i forgot lot of it [Image: biggrin.gif] and network is one of my weak points. So i dont know what is metric exactly for.

Metric is used for ONE thing only - select which interface has priority. Nothing to do with connection stability or anything else. It's like a "cost" of transmitting a packet over the specified interface. TCPIP layer is programmed to look for lowest cost interface. Normally hardwired interfaces have same or lower metric. In your case my feeling is you either need to increase the metric for LAN or decrease for WiFi.

That won't impact ICOM connection at all IF all other network parameters are CORRECT - ip addresses/netmasks not overlapping, etc. Because packets will be sent to ICOM to it's IP directly. Default route is only used when no other route matches the destination.

But IF you want to change a metric number for only one interface you need to know what number is assigned to them now. And that depends on network card drivers too. Hence that command.

Alternatively, you could just set metric for BOTH interfaces making sure you set a smaller number for WiFi.

BUT FRANKLY, just connect a router or a switch between ICOM and computer and use SAME interface for BOTH internet and car... Much easier and less hassle.
Yea I thought so. But I cant connect router everytime... Because manytime Im helping for car on street for example - car just stop working and must help outside at car. So no electricity for power plug for router. That is why I need, how it worked in past. I was looking for IPV4 settings at every card - wifi + ethernet. I looked that usually it is ETHERNET metric set 25 and WIFI 50. So what about change numbers for WIFI 25 and ETH 50? Will it be ok?
Another thing - WHen I connect ICOM - i see adres 169.254.x.x
but when I launch ISTA and want to make connections - it changes IP itself fro icom to 192.168.4.1
After I connect, I lost Internet many times.
08-11-2022, 21:54 PM,
I would suggest looking at LAN network card properties -> advanced settings and change "Packet Priority & VLAN" to disabled. Was having this issue on one PC and it fixed it, but it's not always enough.

Only BMW services:

Remote coding/programming - E, F, G serie
HDD change, Carplay, Screen mirroring activation
FSC pack - CIC, NBT, NBT EVO, ENTRYNAV2, MGU, KAFAS
Remote reset 8HP ISN F serie
ELV disable for CAS3, 3+
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Matthew53 for this post
08-11-2022, 22:12 PM,
(08-11-2022, 21:32 PM)kubaskl Wrote:  Yea I thought so. But I cant connect router everytime... Because manytime Im helping for car on street for example - car just stop working and must help outside at car. So no electricity for power plug for router. That is why I need, how it worked in past. I was looking for IPV4 settings at every card - wifi + ethernet. I looked that usually it is ETHERNET metric set 25 and WIFI 50. So what about change numbers for WIFI 25 and ETH 50? Will it be ok?
but when I launch ISTA and want to make connections - it changes IP itself fro icom to 192.168.4.1

Yes, that would work. Why not wait a bit for ICOM's internal DHCP server to kick in? Alternatively, you can run DHCP server on your computer or switch to static IP on both ends.
14-11-2022, 21:54 PM,
(08-11-2022, 22:12 PM)Node Wrote:  
(08-11-2022, 21:32 PM)kubaskl Wrote:  Yea I thought so. But I cant connect router everytime... Because manytime Im helping for car on street for example - car just stop working and must help outside at car. So no electricity for power plug for router. That is why I need, how it worked in past. I was looking for IPV4 settings at every card - wifi + ethernet. I looked that usually it is ETHERNET metric set 25 and WIFI 50. So what about change numbers for WIFI 25 and ETH 50? Will it be ok?

Yes, that would work. Why not wait a bit for ICOM's internal DHCP server to kick in? Alternatively, you can run DHCP server on your computer or switch to static IP on both ends.

I would wait - no problem, problem is that after it connects and rename adress  from the crazy 169.254.x.x to 192.168.4.1 itselfs in ISTA when choosing and locating ICOM before do Complete car identification, the internet stopped work after that.
For static - i dont know if this is not dangerous for flashing whole car for software update in ISTA
DHCP in my computer. I couldnt imagine how computer will do DHCP server via only just one RJ45? Sorry. I guessed that computer/laptop with just one network adapter with one RJ45 cant have DHCP for ICOM and have working internet also on another card like wifi. Please can you describe how to do that?

BTW: i will try next time set 25 for WIFI and 50 for Ethernet. Or any other recommendations for better "numbers" for that? Thank you
05-01-2023, 15:54 PM,
Quick question, does the ICOM B (Clone) work with the ICOM Next OEM? Can anybody confirm this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to use ICOM with BMW VirtualGT1 qeen 0 77 09-05-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: qeen
  [MEGA] ESYS + PSDZ Full & Lite + ICOM Firmware + MANUALS + TOOLS hashtagmaster 109 37,043 06-05-2024, 17:22 PM
Last Post: hashtagmaster
  MGU Bench connection kimz 4 533 22-04-2024, 17:06 PM
Last Post: kimz
  Carplay loses connection marcospoffo 2 267 19-04-2024, 19:44 PM
Last Post: marcospoffo
XZBMW ICOM Firmware (NEXT & A2) always current! Vojno 206 43,823 12-04-2024, 23:36 PM
Last Post: bennymx
XZBMW Poor wifi signal from new ICOM's bmchicago 3 350 12-04-2024, 18:55 PM
Last Post: Node
XZBMW SSH Connection Failure on NBT - Initialize HDD Billyjoe69 3 233 05-04-2024, 07:07 AM
Last Post: RuleNormaliai
  Test bench Connection to CAN ECU's HaakonA 3 324 03-04-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: sixcode
  Solved ✔ ICOM NEXT Error bmwcare 4 2,534 01-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: ivanp
  CCC flash WINKFP ICOM BimmerSLO 9 399 29-03-2024, 19:17 PM
Last Post: Hoborg